Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2006

saltdreamer is on a distinguished road
Champlain canal

Would anyone be able to tell me how long would it take to go from New-York, by the Hudson river, and the champlain canal up to lake Champlain?
at an average of 6knt. Can it be done all the way with the mast up?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2006

maestro is on a distinguished road
hudson/champlain canal

from the Battery to Albany figure 20-30 hrs. non stop (although if you've NEVER experienced the Hudson river, shame on you for not stopping) You're then going to need a day to unstep your stick (it HAS to come down). The Champlain Canal takes about 1 1/2 days dependig on when you depart to get to Lake Champlain...........
Old 03-29-2006

Smile

Thank-you for your reply Maestro.The reason why I am asking is that I am looking to buy a boat, and there seem to be a good amount offerings in that area. But since i'm from Montreal I was wondering if it was possible to bring it back by water within a week or two
Regards
Daniel.
Old 03-31-2006

TheStorm is on a distinguished road
Saltdreamer, the shortest route from Lake Champlain to Montreal would be down the Richelieu River Canal (Chambly Canal) to Sorel and then up the St. Lawrence to Montreal. If you take the Champlain Canal south then you'd have to take the Erie Canal up to Lake Ontario and then down the St. Lawrence to Monteal. Both ways you'd have to unstep. I think the Richelieu way would be about 3-days tops, and plenty of Montrealers do it every year. I'd guesstimate 10-12 days for the Champlain/Erie canal route. Here's a decent link with descriptions of both routes: http://www.lakestolocks.com/

-The Storm-
Old 03-31-2006

Thanks for your reply Storm, I Know the route from lake champlain to montreal. but from the east coast to lake champlain is where i am not sure. The best scenario would be that I find the boat that I am looking for on lake ontario, but so far there seem to be more choice on the east coast. I would prefer to bring back home a boat by sailing rather than to motor up a canal. That said, if I have to then I will, but it would be my last option, and I am just starting to consider that option.( By the way I am looking for a "beamy" 30 footer around 18k$ with shoal draft. a Catalina30 is what I would prefer, but shoal drafts c30's are hard to find.)
Regards
Daniel.
Old 04-03-2006

TheStorm is on a distinguished road
To Lake Champlain, coming from the East Coast it's up the Hudson to the Champlain Canal, where you do need to unstep. The Canal takes about 1.5 days, about 5-days in total from NY.

A benefit of buying on Lake Ontario is that they're mostly fresh water boats, of course. Prices are much cheaper on the US side than in Canada. A friend of mine bought a Catalina-30 in Rochester late in the season last year, in fact, for exactly that, $18K.