Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
Re: destin, FL area marinas for 50 foot mast?

thanks guys! some of these places are considered hurrican holes so they are relatively safe however others not so dont know that yet how well these places hold up

funny story I was looking at marinas and there was this place called guiseppies in niceville I beleive and the pic on google images shows a sunken sailboat right off the docks!

crap! wonder what happened there

too funny that was a main pic to be found

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2014

hasher is on a distinguished road

Christian,

Going a little further east you will find the small town of St. Mark. You won't find a better deal than the shell island fish camp marina. 16 mile bike ride to Tallahassee on a dedicated bike trail. Dog Island, St. George Island on way to Panama City.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 04-02-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

You can and maybe should Anchor in the middle of Destin harbor. No wakes, beautiful blue water, great sandy beaches, lots & lots of people, high rise buildings, lots & lots of boats coming & going. All this Squeezed into a little harbor with lots of jet skis, power boats, Charter fishing boats, night noise-music from bars.---It makes the beach from the movie Jaws look empty. Car traffic you wouldn't believe for a small area.
.....You can anchor in Destin and go out the "pass" to Gulf in 10 to 15 minutes. No bridge to get out. I have anchored for All of the above reasons and departed for all the above reasons.
Apalachicola; you can head up the river to Hurricane holes, & Panama city
Old 04-04-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

thanks guys....

well see what happens in these next planning months stage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-14-2014

Leocat66 is on a distinguished road

Destin, like so many other places in FL, has changed much over the years. Been going down for many years and remember when J Villa was the only motel in town. Still beautiful at Crab Island but way too many people for our liking. The traffic is terrible except in the winter.

Destin Pass can be a real bear with a sea running and is shifting constantly, and the bridge which is 48' to 49', depending on who you ask, will force you to the pass if your stick is too tall to re-enter the ICW. One could become trapped there under some conditions as it does, at times, become impossible to run the pass.
Old 04-14-2014

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about

Panama City is less expensive. The Bay sailing is better and Gulf access is much better. However, Panama City itself is nasty. Urban blight for as far as the eye can see. Some nice folks, but also a great many freaks who look like they are out on probation. That said, Bay Point Marina is the best marina in the area.
Old 04-16-2014

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhog View Post
Panama City is less expensive. The Bay sailing is better and Gulf access is much better. However, Panama City itself is nasty. Urban blight for as far as the eye can see. Some nice folks, but also a great many freaks who look like they are out on probation. That said, Bay Point Marina is the best marina in the area.
I'm not out on probation, just got the ankle bracelet off last week!
I assume you are talking about the tourists?
I'm in St. Andrew's marina and the price is nice and relatively quiet. Prices are good. Bay Point would likely be much more expensive (no argument about how nice it is). Plenty of access to materials if working on boat, with no huhu if working on it in the marina. As others say, bay sailing is nice and close to deep water access to Gulf, and no bridges between the marinas and Gulf.
Allied Princess #91
"Serenity"
St. Andrew's Marina, Panama City Fl
Old 04-18-2014

hutch5151 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hutch5151

You need to look at Niceville. Good marinas on both Boggy Bayou and Rocky Bayou and a great deep water bay to sail in. Contrary to the previous posts, you cannot get under the Ft. Walton or Destin bridges with a 50 foot mast. You get to Niceville via entrance from the gulf via Panama City and then westward thru the intercoastal (locals call it the ditch) to Choctawhatchee Bay. The Hathaway bridge in Panama City and Mid-Bay bridge on the Choctawatchee Bay are both 65 foot bridges. There are also numerous private docks for rent in the area.
Old 04-19-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I really think that if you looked at every place you could be in a sailboat between Carrabelle and Pensacola, Destin would be the worst, for access and for costs.

Places I like.
1. Carrabelle - Great little marina on the right as you come up the river. Even has a cruisers lounge area that is really nice to relax in.

2. Apalachicola - Lots of places to stay and tie up, some city owned, but most private. Great little town that easy to walk to and through from a boat.

3. Port St. Joe - Not much to see there, but they have a great marina there that is walking distance to marine hardware store and grocery store, plus a decent bar and grill at the marina.

4. Panama City - Great destination. Two really nice city marinas, plus a million places to anchor. The westernmost city marina is my favorite. Lots of cool stuff withing walking distance and a good store at the marina.

5. Pensacola - Another great destination. Tons of places to anchor. My favorite place is always Little Sabine Bay. There area couple of places to anchor there, but I always take a slip (usually at the Yacht Club, I don't think it's a real yacht club but that's what they call it) and then walk over to all of the really close stuff. You can also head west on the ICW from there and see some really beautiful anchorages all the way to Mobile Bay.

Destin has a horrible inlet, lots of shoals, and the bridge is only 48-49 feet high. A friend of mine let someone borrow his Tartan 34, who tried to sail it under that bridge. It can now be said with authority, that a Tartan 34 will not go under that bridge.

I'm guessing you don't want to just run the ICW from Apalachicola to Mobile Bay, because with your air-draft, you could easily do it. I've done it in the past (can't now with a 62 foot air draft) and it is mostly a pretty fun and scenic trip. You might want to at least do it one way. You could easily anchor out the entire way (on the panhandle, they haven't developed the cruiser hate yet that more southern Florida has and you can anchor anywhere normal navigation regulations allow, just be mindful of tugs and barges coming through, which you will see a lot of).

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 04-19-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-19-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm guessing you don't want to just run the ICW from Apalachicola to Mobile Bay, because with your air-draft, you could easily do it.
No, he can't, wellÖ I wouldn't. The Brooks Bridge at Ft Walton is 50 (officially, it's actually less according to the scuttlebutt and I was always nervous with my 45' trimaran through there), and the Navarre Bridge is 50. I would not take a 50' stick through either one unless I were DAMNED sure of a very low tide.

And although the Pensacola bridge says it's 65' I knocked my antenna which is 61'...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.