Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

christian.hess is on a distinguished road
destin, FL area marinas for 50 foot mast?

Hey guys

I have an islander 36....it has a 50 foot mast give or take

Im looking for marinas in the florida panhandle, places close to or around the destin area

I have seen places like niceville with many sailboats but how do they get there? from panama city?

I heard the destin bridge is around 49 feet tall...jjaja too close to go straight in...and I heard the destin area is really expensive

what places are cheap to keep a boat?

carabelle, pensacola or panama city?

just lookin for real world info...rates, anchorages, good and bad stuff...etc...

thanks
christian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2014
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: destin, FL area marinas for 50 foot mast?

We lived in Niceville and kept our boat in the Destin area for several years. Our vhf antenna is just a few inches over 50 ft from the water. At low tide I would rattle it on the Destin Bridge going out of the pass. The GICW runs between Choctawhatchee Bay and Panama City.

We liked Shalimar Yacht Basin. Kept our boat there for quite a while, I even lived aboard there for a year or so. Very nice owners and great staff. Sailing the bay is really nice and there is easy access outside if you can clear the bridge. A frequent weekend run for me was to duck out the Destin bridge at morning low tide and sail the Gulf down to Panama City. There is a nice city marina in Panama City. I would sail around PC area for a day or two then run the ICW back to Shalimar. Pretty spectacular weekends of sailing and fishing.

If your mast is right at 50 ft. you only need 5-10 degrees of lean to safely clear the bridge. Hang your dinghy over the side and throw some water in until it tilts then go.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

thanks so much man...yeah this was my thought

I often rubbed the fort lauderdale las olas bridge with my little 30foot ketch mast with the antenna just a little heel in order to not wait for the bridge to open worked a few times

NOT THE FIRST bang head

hmmm maybe I can sneek in straight through destin bridge and go up the bay?

I have some friends from georgia who weekend in florida in niceville

I saw many sailboats up there in the marinas in pics...

Prices? what are we talking here for a mid 30 footer?

I saw in panama city that prices were reasonable around 200-300 a month

but destin was crazy around 12-15foot minimum

thanks again

Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

anybody else? I heard about carabelle as a cool hangout

thoughts

thanks

Old 03-30-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Hello. Are you going to live aboard ? Either way, there is Fort Walton Beach @ 7 miles to Destin. Easy to get to the Gulf if you are going under Destin bridge.... Carrabelle(no bridge) has a small harbor/town that is the entrance to a river with IGA grocery store 200 ft, Ace hardware, post office, subway, restaurants.....RV/Marina prob has space. Others may be full. Pensacola at Perdido Key, no wake zone;6 miles to Pensacola pass.( Perdido Cove rv/marina. Holiday Harbor marina, no bugs. Oyster bar marina.) Apalachicola tourist town-restarants, bars. Piggly Wiggly, Marinas on river, 1/2 mile to Gulf tall, tall,tall bridge. No wake zone is important here, huge wakes from power boats. I would suggest to be close to Gulf if you are going to use it.

Last edited by sidney777; 03-30-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

no no liveaboard...just need a place to keep the boat for cheap...we are planning on moving to georgia once again in columbus...it will be a 3 hour drive or so to any place in the panhandle give or take...

its actually farther away to go to the georgoa coast and I love florida, have lived in ft meyers and ft lauderdale and coral springs during different periods...

thanks for the help

thanks a lot
guitarguy56 likes this.

Old 03-30-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

For cheap, call the police dept in Apalachicola. They have been taking care of rent some slips. Not in the usual too shallow Municipal marina, but 100 yards away on the river.
Inexpensive and you may love Apalachicola. Boat safety may be very good from theft,etc. I'm sure Chief of police will tell you. Scippios marina in Apalac has haul out.
Carrabelle: C-Quarters real friendly. Moorings marina & motel. Haul out available. Shrimp/fishing boats in both.
Old 03-30-2014
new dad!

thanks man much appreciated...still in planning stages

Old 03-30-2014
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at maps of hurricanes and where the eye has mad land fall and this is a Safe ?? area. I could give this area a look for long term plans. Shallow water and sand bars?? Cost of living is ??? I have a lot of home work to do but first I need to get more time sailing.
Kind Regards, Lou
Old 03-31-2014

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
thanks man much appreciated...still in planning stages
Christian... Do some research in Panama City... better access to the Gulf from there... I think you will find the cost of living more reasonable than Destin... I was there on the base for 6 months and found the area closer to Destin very pricey... but also found other areas reasonable but access to the Gulf limited.

I think you'll like Panama City a better combination of real estate and marina services... and I like the name too!