SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Travel to Cuba (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/133673-travel-cuba.html)

hotterburn 04-11-2014 05:23 PM

Travel to Cuba

Started my retirement cruise in 12/13 from the Chesapeake. Now in Key West and wanting to travel via Cuba to Jamaica.

Any advice out there about visiting Cuba, legalities etc. I am British, Jamaican and naturalized American The official authority position bc I am naturalized American is that visiting Cuba is not allowed.

Input would be appreciated.

Hugh

killarney_sailor 04-11-2014 05:43 PM

Re: Travel to Cuba

If you hold multiple passports I would not use the US one for the visit. If you are a member of SSCA you can go there an download a free, up-to-date cruising guide for Cuba. We may visit Cuba next winter on out trip from Grenada to North America. Haven't really done any detailed homework yet. We are Canadians so no worry about illegalities.

sony2000 04-11-2014 09:28 PM

Americans are welcome in Cuba and usually the Cubans don't stamp the passport.
Officially Americans are not allowed to spend money in Cuba, so the others should, in order to respect Washington's laws.

Minnewaska 04-12-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sony2000 (Post 1727505)
.....Officially Americans are not allowed to spend money in Cuba, so the others should, in order to respect Washington's laws.

It's not technically possible, as you have fees to pay and I believe you are required to have Cuban health insurance for your stay. I suppose someone, out of the goodness of their heart, can pay for everything for you. However, reimbursing them before or after is still considered paying.

The whole Cuba thing is a mess, but I prefer to follow the law. The embargo has endured over a half dozen administrations from both sides of the isle. There is more to this than a grudge. Other than as a harbor of refuge, I don't see the need anyway. There are countless other Caribbean places to go, so why tempt fate.

It will open up one day. I will go then.

Group9 04-12-2014 08:10 AM

My brother and I have both been to Cuba several times. The main thing is to not do anything that makes the Cuban government think you are doing anything to help a Cuban citizen escape. Another is to be very careful about letting unauthorized people (Cuban citizens) receive American dollars from you. Cuba has very strict rules about where you can legally spend American dollars (mostly only at government facilities). Everyone wants dollars, so anyone will take them but be careful.

It's a little better under Raoul than Fidel, and you can have a good time there, but don't ever deceive yourself into forgetting what it can mean to be in a third world dictatorship if you do something stupid. And, for god's sake, if the Cuban border guards don't search your vessel well for refugees trying to escape, make sure you do. You don't want to be explaining to a Cuban gunboat, ten miles off shore, how you didn't notice Juan and his family in your stateroom.

ebs001 04-12-2014 08:47 AM

It always amazes me that in this internet age so many people rely on message boards to ask questions that may have very serious consequences if you get it wrong.

Here is a quote I got from the a google search about the legality of US citizens traveling to Cuba.

Quote:

The U.S. enacted a hard-line trade embargo that restricted travel, and to this day U.S. citizens looking to visit Cuba have to acquire permission from the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets (OFAC). OFAC “prohibits persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States from engaging in transactions in which Cuba or a Cuban national has any interest whatsoever, direct or indirect, including transactions related to travel,” reads the official documentation on Cuba sanctions, available here.
Ask this question to OFAC.

Group9 04-12-2014 08:52 AM

That's true, but since Obama has been elected, not many people are being prosecuted. Ask Jay-Z and Beyonce. All you have to do is say it's a humanitarian mission, and pat a couple of kids on the head while you are there.

There is even a web site on how to go without being caught, or without being prosecuted, if caught.

http://www.cubatravelusa.com/Travel_Tips.htm

Ain't America a great place?

denverd0n 04-12-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Group9 (Post 1728257)
That's true, but since Obama has been elected, not many people are being prosecuted.

So there's the answer for the OP. It is illegal, but you're fine if you don't get caught and/or prosecuted. Simple, right?

(By the way, same answer applies to murder, rape, robbery, whatever. So just go and do whatever you want and have a great time!)

Group9 04-12-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 1728857)
So there's the answer for the OP. It is illegal, but you're fine if you don't get caught and/or prosecuted. Simple, right?

(By the way, same answer applies to murder, rape, robbery, whatever. So just go and do whatever you want and have a great time!)

Sad, isn't it? But, that's kind of the way things work in the US these days. For everybody.

FSMike 04-12-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 1728857)

Gee, I wish I had your razor sharp logic.