Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014

Nostrodamus is on a distinguished road
Practising to be a liveaboard

I am trying to write a blog about being a liveaboard with a humorous twist and am looking for a few ideas.

When we started muting the idea of living aboard we were told to move from a house and live in a small car for a week. After that a boat would seem huge.

Any other suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Practising to be a liveaboard

You might want to give us some idea of the size/type boat you are talking about.
Old 04-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
You might want to give us some idea of the size/type boat you are talking about.
Any size... I was just wondering how those living ashore could understand what it is like living on a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2014

chuck53 is on a distinguished road

Living aboard a 25 footer vs a 45 footer is like night and day. Yes, some things will be the same no matter the size of the boat, but many aspects will be determined by the size and creature comforts the boat offers.
Old 04-17-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

I tell people to imagine sitting on their bed and looking around their spacious bedroom, now imagine everything in your entire apartment or house and all the walls and countertops and shelves those things belong to, to be brought to an arms length. Now negotiate walking around, getting ready for the day, making dinner and having people over. That's what it's like living in a boat... at least part of it.

Another thing is when people ask, "Why don't you buy that?" (clothing, bicycle, luggage, blender) and my answer is always that there's no room left in my boat.
Old 04-18-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Charter a boat for a week of the appropriate size and configuration. See how it feels after a week.

Without getting into a long post:

1. "Living aboard" in a marina in a temperate climate at a dock with shore power, heat, air conditioning, access to fresh water, WiFi and/or cable, a pump out station and a vehicle is about the same as living in a small apartment.
2. Living aboard on a mooring ball or at anchor without shore power (no heat, no air conditioning, great care in the use of electricity, some days it will be too rough to take your dinghy to shore, great care in the use of water would be the next step.
3. Actually sailing the boat from place to place adds all the joy and fear of sailing - weather, running aground, etc.
4. Offshore coastal sailing - when you might get "caught out" in some bad weather if you are not careful is the next step.
5. "True" cruising (my words) - crossing oceans etc. is a world unto itself.

If you are willing to put up with a small space and occasional discomfort "1" above is pretty easy. Most boats are not insulated hence the comment about temperate climate - very hot or very cold and your HVAC will have difficult coping. Also I think you have to be an "outdoor" person. Bugs, mosquitoes, occasionally getting wet are all par for the course.

Hope this helps...
Fair winds and following seas

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
Old 04-20-2014

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

I always tell people that the living space may be small but I have the world's largest swimming pool.
Old 04-20-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned ... A man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
-Samuel Johnson

More to the point. Try locking yourself in a small bedroom (or large closet) with a port-a-potty, and enough food and water for a week's stay; don't forget to turn off the heat or AC; and make sure that you have to walk a couple of blocks to take a shower.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?

Last edited by Puddin'_Tain; 04-20-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-20-2014
MikeGuyver

MikeGuyver is on a distinguished road

rent an efficiency apartment , pile your luggage inside the front door so you have to climb over it every time you enter or leave. Now cut the room in half so you'll have 3-400 square feet to use. Now pile everything you own into what's left of your space making sure whatever you need next will be on the bottom. Buy 3 or 4 humidifiers and run them constantly, oh and turn the ac to 50 deg. Arrange your bed so you have to climb in then turn around to sleep or turn around to get out of it. Hang a bunch of heavy objects just below head high and take half of the light bulbs out and throw them way.Cover the bottom half of your windows with tin foil so you have to be 6'6" to see out.
Now, put 74 dirty socks and a banana in a bag and hide it somewhere you can forget. Move the smoke detector within 10' of the toaster.Put a large ice chest in the fridge and only use it, you'll have to take it part way out to open the top with one hand while trying to balance it on your knee with the other.
Now, after all this if your partner of choice gets to feeling frisky, crawl into your rack and remember not to bang your head (or your ass)on all the crap hanging from the over head.
............enough?.....I've got more.....We've been aboard for a year and a half...
newhaul, jimgo and scubadoo like this.
Old 04-21-2014

Well thank you everyone for your suggestions.
I did manage to write something. Have a look and see if you agree or add a few more suggestions to it.
Thank you again.

Cygnus III | How to liveaboard a boat