Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and career

Group9,

For some people it's a switch they can't turn off. I used to cruise quite a bit with a guy who had a 67ft 2 million dollar motor yacht. I was unemployed at the time and was basically the only person he could find that could get 2 weeks at a time off to go somewhere. He said all of his other friends who were uber rich like he was were too busy making money to take even a few days off to enjoy themselves.

We had a lot of fun on that boat, though I felt like I was cheating on my sailor identity. We once nearly swamped Larry Pardey on Talesin in BC with our wake. At the time he was my #1 sailling hero (I owned a wooden boat) though I didn't feel I could shout my admiration to him from the flybridge of this mega yacht going nearly 20 knots....

Yorkville,

If you say career means continuity, then you are always going to be add odds with the concept of an extended cruise. Not sure we can help you there. As for if I will be as competitive when I return, as someone without a gap in my resume, I can say that in my market it doesn't matter.

That was a point I probably didn't make well enough when recommending retraining to a very high demand area. One of the reasons that I think it is a viable option for returning cruisers. is that the demand is so high in some areas that your certification and your ability to fog a mirror may be all that you need to get the job. I know that's the case with ultrasound and echo-techs right now.

Depending on your income requirements, some of the training programs only take a few months. EMT was only 3 months, and phlebotomist is also 3 months. Both are garunteed jobs right out of training, regardless of how tarnished your resume is. Though your driving record gets looked at as an EMT and for either I suppose multiple felonies might count against you.

While I'm focusing on the areas of medicine that I know of that are in demand, I know that even in the worst downturn there are always areas of specialty that are in high demand. Some don't require a lot of experience, you just have to look carefully and be flexible enough to choose a new career/job based largely on demand alone.

Also, I believe someone else mentioned that the service industry is very tolerant of switching jobs and gaps in the resume. I would believe that, and waiting tables, or kitchen/hotel work is available everywhere.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2014

Shinook is on a distinguished road

Do any of you work remote and cruise at the same time?

My current employment situation allows me to work from wherever I want, provided I have an internet connection. I'm curious how that's worked out for other people.
Old 05-08-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned entrepreneur /self employment.
no income limit, no problem going back to work, no HR, not even an interview or resume needed!
but, alas,it's not for everyone. but what is?
I made my bed,so the cast is set.
Some seem to "have it all" but most never will.
better to pursue happiness than money IMO,but then,that's my story.
I'm honestly amazed when I meet people who have spent 30-40-more Years of their life at one vocation.
My father has(self employed),and one brother in law has 15-20 years and counting in a foundry.
They get all panicked when I say goodbye about every 8-10 months and leave on the boat with no defined plan or time frame.
I only regret I listened to others fears too many years before leaving the first time!
It gets easier the longer you do it.
If you find you truly enjoy it,you'll find your needs and wants change and you get a completely different outlook.
I'm kinda glad more people don't /can't figure it out, cuz it would probably make it tougher for those that do.
Old 05-23-2014

ThirtyOne Sails is on a distinguished road

My wife does exeptionally well in a network marketing business. This is a possibility for someone who has a few years left before the intend to cruise outside the US, the rebated income (residuals) can provide a solid income. All depends on the company.
Old 05-24-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I was in a career that had mandatory retirement at 57 and optional retirement at 50. I took retirement at 51, losing what would have been the best six earning years of my career, and taking a reduced retirement amount, to go cruising. I've just seen too many people die, while trying to get to "X" dollars before they started doing what they wanted to do.

I came back from my cruise and started working again, first for someone else (who thought the fact that I had retired early to go cruising, was exciting), and then for myself. It's not like you get a do-over on life. My wife and I are already planning our next cruise.
so true. if you put off living your life, until you are too old to enjoy it, you may find that death or infirmity deny you even that enjoyment. live for today. tomorrow may never come.
MikeOReilly, Group9 and aeventyr60 like this.

1971 Cal 27