Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2014

yorkville is on a distinguished road
Cruising and career

What are general thoughts on maintaining a career with embarking on a crusing lifestyle?

I have taken time off from work before to pursue different interests in the past. When reentering the workforce, I found some potential employers seem to be overly concerned about the gap in my employment history. More frequently, lots of them seem to have issues with me taking jobs that are not exactly in the same field. I am talking about jobs in financial reporting vs. credit analysis, which to me, are both in the finance field, using very similar skillset. But to lots of potential employers, these jobs might as well be in the opposite ends of the earth.

My plan is to cruise for a season or two, returning to work for a few years, then repeating the cycle. However, I do have some concerns due to the issues I had experienced when re-entering the workforce.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising and career

Thoughts - mine are that it gets harder and harder to return to work as you get older. This a main concern for me to stop working to go cruising, if my money assumptions are wrong whether I could even find a job in my field. Or if post cruising work involves Walmart instead.

Last edited by Don0190; 04-25-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-25-2014

kd3pc is on a distinguished road

You are right to be concerned...employers have enough self destructive rules to eliminate candidates as it is....

As a "cruiser" or any other different lifestyle choice will be fully questioned by the HR dweeb and their computer program. They care not about why there is a gap, only that you are not normal by having one.

Throw in some "age" and you will have likely created a continuous gap in your employment.

The employers are not interested in the non-conformist.
captain jack likes this.
Old 04-25-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I always thought the best time to cruise is in your early twenties, and then again in you late fifties or early sixties, and be retired. That way you don't have that gap in your power earning years.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 04-25-2014

yorkville is on a distinguished road

I guess its necessary to bypass HR when job hunting. Most of my job offers came because I managed to get the attention of the hiring person through networking or cold calling. Of course applying on company websites or recruiters also yield results sometimes. I can see also the importance of keeping in touch with old colleagues. But, yes, I think companies just have too many damn rules that tend to not favor the non-conformists.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 04-25-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

I just quit my 'job' yesterday (a long-term, well-paying contract). I don't expect to be able to come back to any work that would get me anything near I was making. My wife is in the same process, although her complete departure will take a bit longer.

Am I scared? HELL YES!

But for the first time in years I feel quite alive and invigorated. I haven't step off into the unknown in 20 years. This is gonna be fun -- I hope .

I won't pretend to tell anyone what is right for them. I do know that the one thing you can't get back is time. That's why we're going now.
Old 04-25-2014
don't like leanin'

Multihullgirl is on a distinguished road

Depending on what you do, the Internet now allows opportunities to work from wherever. Engineering consulting, other consulting, desk jobs can largely be done remotely
Old 04-25-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Who says there needs to be a gap in your resume? Perhaps you were an independent consultant specializing in finance. You don't have to be successful, (or even try) but it may look better on paper. Get a business license and a cheapo website if you like to give it more substance. If they seem like they're open to something different then let them know what you were really doing with most of your time with consulting being on the side.

In my immediate team of co-workers there are 5 of us. 1 lives on a boat, and 1 (me) lived on a boat for 10 years. I didn't put the boat bum thing front and center on my resume, but once the senior VPs started saying how cool they thought it was that my colleague lives on a boat, I chimed in too. Now they think we're both great. So, you never know how they'll react.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

This month for the first time ever I was questioned about my series of contract jobs. Three times the assumption was that I didn't want to stay at a job too long before moving on so why hire me? The first never got to the interview stage, I found out through a friend who worked at the company. That company valued "lifers" so my resume didn't look like I'd fit in. Nevermind that I was qualified and that they never even asked me. Luckily, I was able to explain face to face the next times that I was contracting because very few are hiring permanent employees in my field and I had to point out that when I was offered a permanent FT position, I happily accepted it.

It's almost as if the bad job market never happened or some people who managed to stay with the same company through it have no idea what it's like out there.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 04-25-2014
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

Ad MedSailor states, it is pretty easy to make a gap in your resume disappear if you desire. Do some volunteer work, do some part-time consulting, do a part-time contract. You can stay involved and up-to-date in your career in many ways besides a conventional 40 hour for salary workweek.

After my last sabbatical, I seriously blundered in my first interview. Questions that with no gap I never would have missed I was stumped on. It was extremely embarrassing. In the future I will for sure keep a toe in the water while on sabbatical.

That said, remote working full time while cruising would take 90% of the fun out of cruising for me. I would much rather sit at a marina in [insert favorite paradise here] with a reliable internet connection than I would try to cruise while tele-commuting. I would find the later way to stressful. That may change when we get reliable, affordable, high-speed, global internet.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas