Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: wall sized TV, on a sailboat

If you're going to run everything from your PC like the home setup you showed, might I recommend the following PC case, which has the added benefit of positive buoyancy.

Dfok, Rhapsody-NS27 and PassMeBy like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
If you're going to run everything from your PC like the home setup you showed, might I recommend the following PC case, which has the added benefit of positive buoyancy.
This mineral oil rig would be more fun

then I could display it!
PassMeBy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
This is the wallmount (bulkheadmount?) that I'm using:
Amazon.com: VideoSecu Low Profile Ultra Slim 1" profile TV Wall Mount for most 27"-47" LCD LED Plasma TV, Some up to 55" Flat Panel Screen Display with VESA 100x100 to 400x400 1RX: Electronics

The front edge of the TV is 2 7/8 inches from the bulkhead, exactly matching the Vizio speaker bar. We can sit comfortably in the salon seat without touching the back of our head on the TV.
1" + 10MM = 1.5" very cool, TY.

Old 06-08-2014

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

Just to throw in a bit of sideways thought.......Since a lot of folks use their TV's just for movies....you could look at getting a projector......Just run it through your computer...also you can by a tv tuner and run it thru the computer and output thru the projector........A good quality projector can have an image as large as 8 feet across....good for those windless nights when you put up your sail and use it as the screen....or on the off days...going below and voila 40" Projectors are easy to stow, do not need a permanent wiring or fixtures and of course do not have the need for a dedicated space.
Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

We have a massive "freedom VS. Australia" photo on the wall now, so we will not lose anything.
A projector is a fun idea, albeit impractical. you know they must be a distance from the screen, and they are LOUD!!!!

Old 06-08-2014

AKscooter is on a distinguished road

What UnionPacific says is somewhat true. They make mini projectors that are designed for business people and their presentations. They require a much short distance between projector and screen. Noise ah yes....they bulbs get extremely hot and fans are important less you burn out these bulbs. But like I said, it is a sideways thought....In dedicated home theaters, projectors have always been the way to go. Check Newegg or other sites for these projectors. This is not an endorsement for Newegg or any other site....
Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

I liked newegg, until they started newegg markets, now I will stick to ebay.

Old 06-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
...The are many tiny 12 volt TV's, but why would you want one on a 54' sailboat? I thought those all came with a pop-up tv from the factory?
No pop-up, those are for stinkpotters and people that hire crew to sail their boats.

I've found several 22" sets, I just can't tell if the rear mounting is what I want. I do not want a frame, i just want to screw it directly to the wall.

From most seats in our salon, one sits less than 6 feet from the set. At most, one would be 10 feet, in a single seat. Seriously, how much bigger of a set would one want or need. The 22" will fit its location perfectly too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-08-2014

hpeer is on a distinguished road

A week ago my Wife says, "Honey, I have an idea for an improvement to the boat."

Me "Gulp!"

Her "Let's cut out out the coach house walls and put in some big windows!"

Me "why don't we get a big screen TV instead, then I'll mount a wireless CCTV camera so you can have a view which ever way you like."

Wife "OK"

Me "Whew!"

No I gotta figure out how to do it.

Advice?
Old 06-08-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

No reason to have to use your laptop hooked up to your TV. WD makes a media player, storage can be done on a dedicated hard drive. We use the media player and a 1 terrabyte hard drive for movies, pictures etc. Cuts way down on power usage. We also loan out the hard drive to other cruisers and swap movies.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.