Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: wall sized TV, on a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
It will be used while anchored out, and while on passages. It will be connected to my PC, my PC contains about 600 movies, and 1200 show episodes.
That's what I figured you were doing. The smart portion of the smart tvs is the way they use the web for streaming. If you laptop is your primary video source save some money and get a high quality Samsung without the smart interface.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
No reason to have to use your laptop hooked up to your TV. WD makes a media player, storage can be done on a dedicated hard drive. We use the media player and a 1 terrabyte hard drive for movies, pictures etc. Cuts way down on power usage. We also loan out the hard drive to other cruisers and swap movies.
Quote:
It will be connected to my PC, my PC contains about 600 movies, and 1200 show episodes.
Just curious what site(s) do you guys use for your movie downloads? Or do you have software that records from DVD?

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-09-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road

ssshhhhh!!!! yes, thats why I am using a PC. AVI files. anywho, I also need to video edit on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

There is not now, nor will there ever be, a TV on my boat. I go sailing to get away from the damn thing.

Sorry for the divergent opinion....

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 06-09-2014

IStream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
This is the wallmount (bulkheadmount?) that I'm using:
Amazon.com: VideoSecu Low Profile Ultra Slim 1" profile TV Wall Mount for most 27"-47" LCD LED Plasma TV, Some up to 55" Flat Panel Screen Display with VESA 100x100 to 400x400 1RX: Electronics

The front edge of the TV is 2 7/8 inches from the bulkhead, exactly matching the Vizio speaker bar. We can sit comfortably in the salon seat without touching the back of our head on the TV.
I've got the exact same mount holding up my Samsung 32". It looks great but there's a very slight rattle fore/aft in big seas due to the tolerances necessary for the quick release mechanism. I just jammed a couple small pieces of foam between the bulkhead and the top half of the TV (making sure not to block any cooling vents) to pre-load it a bit. Completely invisible and works great.
Old 06-09-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
There is not now, nor will there ever be, a TV on my boat. I go sailing to get away from the damn thing.

Sorry for the divergent opinion....
Don't be sorry. We have books as well, but sometimes we just want to see a movie without spending $50 to go out to a movie.

Old 06-09-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
4K will come to blueray. they can do 4 layer disks. 100gb is enough for about 4 hours of 4K if I remember correctly. ( depends on compression.) 3d may go away again.
It's "Blu-ray". The limit for a Blu-ray disc has been shown to be 20 layers, so capacity shouldn't be an issue. Bit rate might be, there's no point going up to 4K if you are reducing the quality of the picture in other respects. The 40 Mbps bitrate of Blu-ray gives really nice motion so it would be a shame to compromise motion to get higher resolution. For 4K to keep the same motion quality, they'd have to up the bitrate to 160 Mbps.

It's amazing what some people consider to be adequate HD. Netflix attach the label to a 1 Mbps stream...we have 50 Mbps cable at home but what Netflix laughably calls Super HD isn't a patch on Blu-ray.

Picture quality 101 : The elements of a quality picture are :

Colour
Contrast / brightness (the darkest level vs. the brightest one)
Movement
Resolution (both static, and during movement)

Clearly calling something 1080P only considers one aspect of the picture (pun intended).

Right now the best picture available comes from Blu-ray, and this will be the case for a long time to come. Partner it with a large plasma TV, and the experience is just like going to the movies.

There's a Redbox near the marina and they have Blu-rays for $1.49
Brewgyver likes this.
Old 06-09-2014
Schooner Captain

A plasma on an anchored sailboat? We don't have the power man!

Old 06-09-2014

A lot depends on screen size as well. We have a 19" on the bulkhead with 720p resolution, which is just fine for 19 inches.

If I ever get around to building a folding salon table I may go to a 32", then it might be worth going to 1080 and a faster refresh rate.

The funny thing is 19" seemed like a "big" TV a few years back when I installed it!

Old 06-09-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
A lot depends on screen size as well. We have a 19" on the bulkhead with 720p resolution, which is just fine for 19 inches.

If I ever get around to building a folding salon table I may go to a 32", then it might be worth going to 1080 and a faster refresh rate.

The funny thing is 19" seemed like a "big" TV a few years back when I installed it!
When I was a child I had a 13" tv, when I became a man I bought a 67" set, and promptly placed it 10' from the sofa and played Halo. I was a success in my 18 year old eyes. Now I am 32, and I am installing the biggest TV my bulkhead/wall can hold on my own yacht. I shall play Waterworld(ulysses cut) on it, and will consider myself a success yet again. Oh and I have a wife now too.

MarkSF and Brewgyver like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.