Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2014
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
wall sized TV, on a sailboat

OK, lets see them. Who has a wall sized TV.
I will not discriminate, your wall can be any size.
We are planning about a 40-55" TV for our salon wall.
An LED unit with Wi-Fi, and all the goodies.
Just curious who else has one?
Any recommendations, or horror stories?
We are looking at a 240HZ, 3D capable, and maybe 4K but we will see where prices are in 6 months.
I am hoping that black Friday brings the first 4K tv sale, maybe $999? who knows!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-class-48-1-2-diag--led-4k-ultra-hd-tv-2160p-120hz-smart-3d-hdtv/3894006.p?id=1219094472073&skuId=3894006&st=pcmcat205800050000_categoryid$abcat0101001&cp=1&lp=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnionPacific; 06-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2014

Mycroft is on a distinguished road
Re: wall sized TV, on a sailboat

We don't watch "TV", but we LOVE watching movies. So I installed the largest TV I could manage for our 1983 Slocum 43. After some research, I picked the Samsung model here:

Amazon.com: Samsung UN40F5500 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model): Electronics Amazon.com: Samsung UN40F5500 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz Slim Smart LED HDTV (2013 Model): Electronics

Frankly, I don't like the higher refresh rates like 120hz or 240hz. They make movies look like they were shot on videotape for TV.

The TV is a little wider than I would like, but I think we'll manage just fine.

For sound, we went with the
Amazon.com: VIZIO S3821w-C0 38-inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer: Electronics Amazon.com: VIZIO S3821w-C0 38-inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer: Electronics

I wired HDMI and an extension cord to the bulkhead where the TV and sound bar were mounted and electric to the subwoofer that I installed under the Salon table. Works great! Not exactly surround sound, but good enough for us.
Attached Thumbnails
wall sized TV, on a sailboat-tv.jpg  
Old 06-08-2014
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

You need to remember the bigger the screen the greater the watts. We have a 19" and that uses about 3Ah of juice.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Nice install mycroft.
For sound I brought my amp from home.
Its an awesome sony ES amp. I paid $4500 for it, so I couldn't just sell it for what little I am sure its worth used. We are going to hook up some bose cubes to it for surround sound.
We don't watch TV either, just movies, The TV will be hoked to our PC thats being installed in the other room, under the bed. Also the TV will be used to display photos, and edit our video blogs.

Simon V
The LED tv that is 48" uses 60 watts. VIZIO E-Series 48? Class Full-Array LED Smart TV | E480i-B2 | VIZIO
With 1000AH bank, we should be fine, even when using the big amp, and the big pc. those are the real power users.

The Following User Says Thank You to UnionPacific For This Useful Post:
mcgray (06-09-2014)
Old 06-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I used to have one on the salon wall (and a smaller one on the wall of the main stateroom). We used them to watch movies, but I took them both out when we got back from our cruise because I didn't see us using them much on day trips and weekend trips.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
The Following User Says Thank You to Group9 For This Useful Post:
mgmhead (06-22-2014)
Old 06-08-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't even know what 4k is.......... ��

I am looking far and wide for a 22" TV that has two critical features. It's must run on 12volts and it must have the standard female mounting holes directly on the back of the unit, so it can be screwed flush onto the wooden bulkhead.

Of course, it must receive a digital antenna signal, but we're not too hung up on picture quality, as long as it is not bad. Seems nearly all digital led/LCD sets are good these days. If it can run a Bluetooth speaker, that would be a bonus.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't even know what 4k is.......... ��
Its like HD, but more.

tube TV x 4 = HD x 4 = 4K or UHD.
If you don't have really keen eyes at 40" you cannot tell the difference.
Since my eyes work so well still, I can tell.

The are many tiny 12 volt TV's, but why would you want one on a 54' sailboat? I thought those all came with a pop-up tv from the factory?

Old 06-08-2014

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

So, does this mean that with the advent of wall-mounted flat screen home theaters, boats now have "walls", instead of "bulkheads" ?

:-)
Yofy, L124C and 34crealock like this.
Old 06-08-2014

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Is this for use mostly in a marina or will you be anchored out while cruising?

You've got a big boat, so I'll assume the TV won't be a huge strain on your house bank. But if you're looking at 3D smart TVs you have to consider the speed of your internet connection.

Any marina I've been in has had slow, spotty wifi (if they have it at all). I usually use my cell phone as a hot spot for web browsing, but you'll max out your data plan pretty quickly streaming Netflix, Hulu or HBOGO. To really utilize this setup you'd need a cable internet connection at the dock and a router.

Open wifi is getting as rare as hens teeth. Even if you find open wifi you can trust you may have trouble streaming video. I love our Samsung smart TV, but if I was going to upgrade our boat tv I'd go with a standard LED and save the $$. I doubt I'd even go the 3D route. It's pretty cool, but there's just not a lot of 3D programming.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 06-08-2014
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Is this for use mostly in a marina or will you be anchored out while cruising?

You've got a big boat, so I'll assume the TV won't be a huge strain on your house bank. But if you're looking at 3D smart TVs you have to consider the speed of your internet connection.

Any marina I've been in has had slow, spotty wifi (if they have it at all). I usually use my cell phone as a hot spot for web browsing, but you'll max out your data plan pretty quickly streaming Netflix, Hulu or HBOGO. To really utilize this setup you'd need a cable internet connection at the dock and a router.

Open wifi is getting as rare as hens teeth. Even if you find open wifi you can trust you may have trouble streaming video. I love our Samsung smart TV, but if I was going to upgrade our boat tv I'd go with a standard LED and save the $$. I doubt I'd even go the 3D route. It's pretty cool, but there's just not a lot of 3D programming.
It will be used while anchored out, and while on passages. It will be connected to my PC, my PC contains about 600 movies, and 1200 show episodes. We pull form those, and as there are not many movies that are new, and good, I don't see this being a limit. 30% of our movies are in 1080P, the rest are in 720P. While at the docks I do watch a lot of youtube, and I take classes online. We will be docking about 1 time a month for water, provisions, and youtube uploads. This will be when we use the net to its full potential.