LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Re: How is boat beer made?

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
hey bud I have one...a really good kit I was going to use to make some at the restaurant but they were emphatic on temperature for the actual fermentation process...

can you do it in the tropics on a boat and for example what tweaks would you do for the recipe?
Next to sanitation, fermentation temperature control is the most important technique a homebrewer must master. Without it, you are unlikely to produce anything worth drinking. Assuming you will be making an ale, they like to be fermented in the mid-high 60° range. And since the fermentation process is exothermic, the chamber the fermenter lives in will need to be somewhat cooler than that.
MedSailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
hey bud I have one...a really good kit I was going to use to make some at the restaurant but they were emphatic on temperature for the actual fermentation process...

can you do it in the tropics on a boat and for example what tweaks would you do for the recipe?
Keeping a wet T-shirt over the fermenter can work wonders with evaporative cooling. Using ice in a small insulated chamber that the fermenter is in can also help.

Ideas:Fermentation Chamber Options

MedSailor
christian.hess likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

thanks a lot

here is a question too

my kit was also emphatic on stainless steel new boilers...can you sterilize used ones?

or use lined pots?

I cant afford buying new steel pots

my kit is a grain kit its actually a really good one with all sorts of flavourings, hops etc...I was going to do it to sell at the restaurant but I dont have the time to do it there with the kid and all...

thanks

Old 06-26-2014

Quote:
thanks a lot

here is a question too

my kit was also emphatic on stainless steel new boilers...can you sterilize used ones?

or use lined pots?

I cant afford buying new steel pots

my kit is a grain kit its actually a really good one with all sorts of flavourings, hops etc...I was going to do it to sell at the restaurant but I dont have the time to do it there with the kid and all...

thanks
You can do the boil in a stainless or aluminum pot. Doesn't have to be new. Doesn't even have to be sanitized. Just clean. However anything that touches the wort after the boil is complete must be sanitary.
Old 06-26-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
So basically, ginger beer is carbonated, watered down, ginger flavored moonshine?
You got a problem wit 'dat?

Also, as a former homebrewer, there is NO WAY that I would consider brewing beer on a sailboat... There is no room for the equipment, and washing/sterilizing the equipment after use (this is how you avoid funky flavors) would be virtually impossible.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 06-26-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
You got a problem wit 'dat?

Also, as a former homebrewer, there is NO WAY that I would consider brewing beer on a sailboat... There is no room for the equipment, and washing/sterilizing the equipment after use (this is how you avoid funky flavors) would be virtually impossible.
For years, I have been attempting to prove this myth wrong, and I think I have succeeded (in proving it to myself at least). I really should write it all up with pictures one day. It is do-able and a lot of the equipment, and even some of the procedures are unnecessary when you really want to pair things down. There are also fun things you can do on a boat, like chill the fermenter by floating it in the slip next to you.

MedSailor
aeventyr60 likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 06-26-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I found the ale's were able to withstand the heat while brewing in the tropics. No wonder the ships of old carried barrels of ale across the worlds oceans. India pale ale seems to bring back fond memories of beer brewed in Fiji, Vanuatu and while sailing up the Queensland coast. Beer kits available at most Woolworths. The ginger beer was good too. It only required a week or so in the bottles before being drinkable. So one batch of ginger beer and then one batch of beer. What a great way to cruise. Brewing our way through paradise. Sure made fixing the boat easier. Nobody and I mean nobody refused a home brew...Recently ran into a German friend of mine who enjoyed my libations a few years back, he was wondering it I still had a few homebrews he could enjoy.....

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 06-27-2014
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

good ales is what I got...might as well try

anybody insight with using used pots for boiling, is that a deal breaker?

thanks

good thread btw!

Old 06-27-2014

Quote:
anybody insight with using used pots for boiling, is that a deal breaker?
Not sure why you are hung up on "used". Stainless or aluminum will do, used or new, as long as it's clean. Don't overthink it.
RainDog likes this.
Old 06-27-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Not sure why you are hung up on "used". Stainless or aluminum will do, used or new, as long as it's clean. Don't overthink it.
Yea, it only has to be sanitary after the boiling, though I would prefer to use stainless Steel. A good top fermented ale really only needs to be kept cool for the first two or three days, then you don't have to worry too much as long as you can keep it in the low to mid 70's.

Tags
beer , boat , brew , home brew

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.