Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2014
OUPV 25 Ton

CaptainRahnn is on a distinguished road
How is boat beer made?

I was reading a book in which the single handed sailor had made his own beer on board. Anyone done this or heard of it?
Old 06-14-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: How is boat beer made?

Yes. Many a liter brewed and consumed on board. Easiest way is to get a "Home Brew" kit and give it a go. Happy brewing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've never done it aboard, but making beer can be fun. I've had it come out pretty good and not so good and never really made enough to know what I did differently. I would make smaller sized batch, so if you didn't love it, you just make another and aren't stuck with two cases of the stuff.

There are also several different techniques. The traditional method is to boil grain (barley) at an exact temp for an exact time to extract the sugars, which you then ferment into alcohol and CO2. That takes skill, time and space. You can also buy barley malt and just add water, hops and yeast to ferment. It can come out well, but purists will turn their nose up at it.

Honestly, I've had traditional homebrews that are good and bad, as well as malt brews that are good and bad.

The most arduous part is bottling. Naturally, the bottles must be sanitary (not necessarily sterile) so that any natural bacteria, which may be perfectly benign, doesn't grow or cause the beer to change. Soaking and drying bottles is a real PITA and I can't imagine doing it aboard. I recommend using the largest single bottles you believe you'll consume at a time, such as quart sized or growlers to limit the necessary number.

Have fun. I haven't brewed beer in over a decade, but it was like a science project with a cool reward. Good luck.
aeventyr60 and christian.hess like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-14-2014
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

There are many threads about brewing aboard on this, and other sailing forums. Here's one:

So I started Brewing...
Old 06-23-2014

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Never made beer but have had good luck with wine as berries and fruit grow all over the coast.When it's not a raving success there's alway the stil so nothing's wasted.
Old 06-23-2014
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

I do not have the recipe and procedure but I would love to learn how to brew ginger beer on board. Talking with people north of me and a few down in the keys it is a treat that people look forward to drinking.

Morgan 22
Naples, FL
Old 06-24-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Ginger beer is easy:

Peel and grate 1 tbsp of fresh ginger root
Boil 1 cup of water, add 1/2 cup of sugar and ginger root.
Remove from heat and add 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice.
Let ginger/sugar/lemon water cool to room temp and stir in 1 packet of yeast.
Add the mixture to a 1/2 gallon bottle of bottled water (or better to split between 2 quart bottles).
Cap tightly.
Let it sit for 2 days minimum.
Pour carefully, so that you do not get sediment, into a glass.
Enjoy!

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (06-26-2014)
Old 06-24-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

So basically, ginger beer is carbonated, watered down, ginger flavored moonshine?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 06-24-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
So basically, ginger beer is carbonated, watered down, ginger flavored moonshine?
That doesn't sound too bad...
MedSailor and Minnewaska like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-24-2014
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I used to brew quite often, and since I lived aboard, it was always on the boat. In fact, at the homebrewtalk forum I go by the name "brewonboard".

The trend in the USA homebrew scene is to start with grain, extract, and hop ingredients and get a fairly complex list of supplies together. This gets you "started" and then you "graduate" to all grain brewing, which is complex enough and equipment intensive enough that you don't even want to think about doing it on a boat.

In Australia and Europe, many brew using "can kits" which can turn out shockingly bad, or with very minor tweaking can turn out absolutely great. They require 1/10th the work of extract brewing, and the ingredients are shelf stable.

I HIGHLY recommend the Cooper's homebrew kit. It has everything you need, and with minor tweaks to the recipes the brew turns out great. In fact, I have a coopers fermenter with canned beer fermenting just 10 feet from where I sit now.

Here's the kit, and I've bought from this store before. No complaints.
Coopers DIY Beer Kits

Here's the video that shows the whole process. Easy enough to do on a boat!

MedSailor
christian.hess likes this.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
The Following User Says Thank You to MedSailor For This Useful Post:
christian.hess (06-26-2014)

Tags
beer , boat , brew , home brew