SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   New boat, new opportunity (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/148954-new-boat-new-opportunity.html)

AncientTech 06-23-2014 12:52 PM

New boat, new opportunity

Picked up a 1968 Morgan 22 (22.6ft). Parked temporarily near Pine Island Fort Myers. It seems to be an amazingly sturdy little vessel. Mainsail needs patch, jib is good. bilge pump is amazing and can create fountains like the ones in Vegas LOL. DC panel requires complete rewire before I can even check the lights. VHF works (yay). Hull and deck are solid although it could use a deck touch up. Redid the lines including halyards so I can work them from cockpit (I'm lazy/bad legs)
If all goes well I will be sailing around Fort Myers/Sarasota looking for another main by this weekend. I also want another little danforth anchor and rode just in case. Cant wait to see how she runs in the light chop.

PS: Solar yard lights as anchor lights? Discuss!

DRFerron 06-23-2014 01:41 PM

Re: New boat, new opportunity

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientTech (Post 1952394)

You are so bad. ;)

Congratulations!

rgscpat 06-23-2014 02:21 PM

It seems you might need quite a few of the solar yard lights so you can get them shining 360 degrees around with the required brightness. If I remember the little bitty one-dollar Wal-Mart lights are only a lumen; the bigger ones are ten lumens.

This might be useful...
Navigation Light Intensity

ottos 06-24-2014 04:03 PM

If some yahoo runs into your anchored boat at night and causes himself/ his passenger grievous injury or death, do you want to go into court and try to explain that a solar yard light from Walmart/Lowes/HD is just as good as a USCG certified anchor light?

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Sabreman 06-24-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Solar yard lights as anchor lights?
First rule of boat ownership - don't cut corners. Ever. Do it right because even the most innocuous things can have profound implications.

killarney_sailor 06-24-2014 05:06 PM

You can cut corners. It just take the first 30 years of sailing to know which ones you can cut.

miatapaul 06-24-2014 08:02 PM

Safety systems are no place to try to cut corners. Solar garden lights are nice when on the stanchions to help light the deck to get around in an anchorage, but not as an anchor light. Get an LED anchor light and you don't have to worry about batteries as a small solar panel will keep up.

Alex W 06-24-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AncientTech (Post 1952394)

They are almost invisible if there is any background lighting getting in the way. I came into an anchorage a few weeks ago where most boats had modern LED anchor lights and two had solar yard lights. The anchorage is surrounded by dispersed houses. I came in at dusk.

The yard lights might as well have not been turned on, they were nearly invisible against everything else. At the dead of night in a completely empty anchorage it might be a differnet story.