Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Days Ago

GeorgiaInGeorgia is on a distinguished road
Picking a marina N FL- Gulf or Atlantic?

I'm moving to Valdosta, GA from Lake MI. I want to bring my boat down for weekend live aboard and sailing. Within 2-3 hours drive, I can reach the Atlantic or the Gulf. Any suggestions for a marina that is sailboat friendly?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Days Ago
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Picking a marina N FL- Gulf or Atlantic?

Kinda depends on what you want to do on the boat. Both areas are basically out to the ocean to sail. Though I haven't spent a lot of time in the Northern Gulf, the time I have spent was largely light to no wind. On the Atlantic side though, unless you're close to an inlet, you'll likely be dealing with fairly strong tides and currents to get out to open water (Jacksonville in particular comes to mind). There are though, a number of 2 day trips you can make on that side.

You might want to also consider Brunswick. Ocean access but also an area where you can sail inland.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Days Ago

nolatom will become famous soon enough

West coast (Gulf of Mex) will have actual winter. East coast (Atlantic Ocean near the Gulf Stream) won't. Water temperture is the difference.
Old 4 Days Ago

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
West coast (Gulf of Mex) will have actual winter. East coast (Atlantic Ocean near the Gulf Stream) won't. Water temperture is the difference.
Pretty close...but not quite.

I lived in the Jax area a few years ago for a couple of years...about 4 miles from the ocean...and had temps in the low to mid 20s a few nights each winter.

The average temp in the Jax area is a bit above the average in the Appalachicola to Pensacola bight on the Gulf but there is a bit of frost a few mornings along both coasts.

Both get horrendous thunderstorms but I think Jax's win the prize. The t'storms I weathered in Jax were the worst I have ever been in and I have lived in s. AL and n. FL for 25 of my years.

Carrabelle to Pensacola is a great coast with many bays and sounds. Thin water in a lot of places but access to the Gulf is easy. Fishing and shell fishing are spectacular. Best beaches in the US. Back country or high southern style available a few miles apart.

Winds average force 3-5 depending on the season except for during hurricanes and cold fronts and thunderstorms but the occasional several days of force 6+ will steam through from time to time.
Old 4 Days Ago

inunneley is on a distinguished road

I sail out of Carrabelle. Several marinas on the river are sailboat friendly. Its quick to get out in the gulf, can also several places to sail to for the day. I sail year round, winter afternoons don't usually get below 50. Some spots do have thin water, I draft 3'10" so don't have to worry about it as much as others.
Old 3 Days Ago
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Check out Brunswick Landing Marina in Georgia. A nice area. We spent 4 months there last hurricane season. It's a sailboat friendly area, with plenty to see and do. The marina is nice, clean, and reasonable.

Carrabelle is a nice area too. We stayed at C-Quarters Marina. Capn Kim(dock master) and her husband are great people. Close to the Gulf, and one of our favorite anchorages....Dog Island.

Ralph
New home | sailing away with R & B
Old 3 Days Ago

findrichard is on a distinguished road

Jacksonville is big city with big city traffic. Jacksonville also has dark water as does its inlet of the Saint Johns river. This dark water may stain your boat hull at the waterline, it did mine. Florida west coast is small-town compared to Jacksonville. The west coast also has clear water and white sand beaches. I have lived both places and Panama City area wins hands down in my mind.

Tags
atlantic ocean , florida marina , gulf of mexico