Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Dave_E is on a distinguished road
12V refrig units and power

Hi Cruisers,

Those of you who are pretty dedicated to the ball or hook, do you have refrigerator units and how are they powered? I just don't know, so I'm asking - do solar cells and/or wind generators make enough juice to supply the batteries while they are running a refrigeration unit?

Dave
Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

IStream is on a distinguished road
Re: 12V refrig units and power

Dave,

There are too many variables to answer this definitively. It depends on the size of the compressor (determined by the size of your box), the amount of insulation you have, whether you want/need a freezer, and the amount of solar panel area you have or can accommodate.

If you've got an ice box already, as a starting point I'd go looking for fridge conversion kits and determine their current requirements. Assume a duty cycle of 75% to be safe and calculate how many amp hours that corresponds to in a 24 hour day. Then figure out how much solar area you can accommodate, divide the total panel rating by 2 given our latitude, shading, etc., assume a 6 hour day, and that'll tell you if you can cover the load. The devil will be in the details but this will give you an order of magnitude estimate.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi Cruisers,

Those of you who are pretty dedicated to the ball or hook, do you have refrigerator units and how are they powered? I just don't know, so I'm asking - do solar cells and/or wind generators make enough juice to supply the batteries while they are running a refrigeration unit?

Dave
My boat sits out on a mooring and the freezer/refrigerator (huge freezer with a spill over fan system) on it runs all the time from April splashing to Nov haulout. I have a 290W solar panel and 460 AH batteries and when I get to the boat Friday evening the batteries are normally 95+% state of charge. From the logging menu of my solar controller the system normally uses about 60 AH/day. I have never seen the batteries less than 90% SOC at the end of the week even with cloudy/raining days during the week.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Captain Bill

Domknotty is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Domknotty
good info

I just got the frig in my Morgan 35 working today...yea! I plan on setting the DC up with a 240w solar panel and controller followed by 3 sets of 6v golf cart batteries. Our only other drain will be fans and lights and possibly an 110 ice maker. Does this sound feasible?
The good ship Ubiquitous
Blog Addy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

uh.. gentlemen please spell it Fridge or Refridge. not frig

It would not sound quite so right to say something like: DIY frigging lol
midnightsailor and WGEwald like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

heatobi1 is on a distinguished road

We live aboard our Sabre 36 on a mooring. The refrigerator (adler barbour cold machine) is always switched on. We have two soliban 125w panels and 540a/h batteries. Fridge has been on 9 weeks straight with just solar powering the setup.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

cranki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatobi1 View Post
We live aboard our Sabre 36 on a mooring. The refrigerator (adler barbour cold machine) is always switched on. We have two soliban 125w panels and 540a/h batteries. Fridge has been on 9 weeks straight with just solar powering the setup.
Where are you moored?

I have a solar panel and a wind generator that are connected to 2 batteries that are dedicated to just running the fridge/ice box. I am at the dock though, in Connecticut, and have the charger hooked up as well. I have been out for 2 weeks with no problems though. Wind generator works a lot better (most of the time) when off the dock and on the hook.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

heatobi1 is on a distinguished road

We are based out of Port Washington LI. We have a Honda 2000 onboard but have yet to use it
Old 4 Weeks Ago

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domknotty View Post
I just got the frig in my Morgan 35 working today...yea! I plan on setting the DC up with a 240w solar panel and controller followed by 3 sets of 6v golf cart batteries. Our only other drain will be fans and lights and possibly an 110 ice maker. Does this sound feasible?
A 110v icemaker (through an inverter) will suck your batteries dry very quickly.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

It also depends on what type of system you install i just installed a system for a customer in tacoma pm me and I will sendreal world specs i have can't send crap on this tablet to the forum just thru email. Rob