Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago
MC Cal 20 Owner

MI Cal 20 is on a distinguished road
new cal 20 owner looking for information

I found an old cal 20 and have grand ideas for it that are probably stupid. Before I can attempt any of them though I need to get the boat together. I posted in the introduction area ans had 212 views and not one response.

Hull numer 807 if I remember right from the title built in 1968. I was 8 years old when it was built. I havent sounded the entire deck but so far it seems rigid, no soft spots. It still has all the original teak below decks too so someone had to have taken care of it.

I'm not bringing it home till next year as I'm building it a new home in rather then storing it outside under canvas in the brutal Michigan winters. I suppose I could store it at a marina too but wantit close to work on for awhile.

I have never had a call 20 or any other sail boat. I have sailed small cat boats a few times but not enough to consider myself close to knowing anything about sailing.

I have no idea what size sheets, hayards, shrouds etc... to use or how they are rigged. A friend bought this boat in 1998 as a roadside boat but never did anything with it except store it in his equipment barn. Last year he past away suddenly so if he knew anything about it all that information is gone too. The mast boom rudder and looks like maybe a whisker pole is on the ground next too the boat. I was given the boat but was wondering if anyone could tell me from this discription a ball park of what it might be worth? They paid 600.00 us for it in 1998. I don't like taking things that have a value without paying something for them especially from a widow even if she was left very well set by her husband.

I have read plain sailing, The complete sailor and Sailing - the basics. I've done enough research to find that the shheets and halyards sold by at least one store for cal 20s is 56 to 60' long and 5/16" dia. Is this adequate or would 3/8 or 7/16 be better?

I did not know enough when I looked over this boat what to look for but one thing that is bothering me is that all the rigs I have seen for cal 20s were hinged and this boat has a round hole not a plate for the mast. However it is not all the way through the deck so am I just missing a deck mast step ? Not sure that's the right terminology but I'm sure the exprienced folks here will understand.

Right now I'm posting this via my nook reader so when I get on my computer I will supply some photos.

Any and all information on this will help. Thanks in advance for any and all the help anyone can give me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: new cal 20 owner looking for information

A quick google found this:

http://www.ewind.com/user/sfcal20/ca...ers-manual.pdf

Which may answer most all of your questions? Yes I see there is a hinged mast step so you would need to find one.

More here, note the new price back in the '60s was only $3200. :

Cal 20 by Jensen Marine ? Used Sailboat For Sale | Small Blue Water Cruising Sailboats

It seems good ones, fully equipped, go for about that price now:
Cal 20 sailboat

And a forlorn one with parts missing, sitting around for years, might be something you just take off their hands, no money expected ?

But for a "near abandoned" boat, the Cal 20, if still structurally sound, is a hidden gem, with many folks still racing them. Good daysailer, fun to race, decent little pocket cruiser. You will want to check, and likely replace, the mast stays, as 50 years old is double their expected life and they corrode in the sockets where you can't see them. But hull, mast and boom should still be okay and everything else (sheets, halyards) are easily renewable. You'll likely want an outboard motor.

Get on one of these web sites and you should find what you need, such as what diameter sheets.

Last edited by nolatom; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:23 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

overbored is on a distinguished road

great boat Sailed and raced one when I was in high school. the boat is worth about $3k in good sailing shape. in the condition you describe not worth much, you will be doing them a favor by taking it away. your friend would want you to have it. did you get the sails? don't remember the mast step but i think we had a foldable step for trailering but never had a trailer and never took the mast down. the largest line on the boat would be 3/8" for the sheets and 1/4" or 5/16" for the halyards. Good luck with the new project
Old 3 Weeks Ago

gamayun is on a distinguished road

Our club (Half Moon Bay Yacht Club) has a fleet of Cal 20s and there's an active racing group of Cal 20s on San Francisco Bay. We have often gotten our boats free (or very close to free), with club members putting in the sweat to keep them in good condition, and the club paying for the costs, which aren't cheap. There is bottom paint, non-skid, sails, rigging and sheets to buy. Maybe even epoxy and filler for any holes. You might also need to add some backing plates to the undersides where the winches and shrouds are bolted. These can get soft over time. The first time to buy all this is going to hurt ($$), but if you look around and plan, you can find some deals and get things second hand. The boat itself in the condition you describe does not seem to be worth anything. You should be able to find plenty of information online about the Cal20 and the local marine stores can help you, too.

The mast hinges at a flange on the deck. At least that's how ours look, but it is possible this is an aftermarket fix. I can take some pictures if you do take the boat and if you can't find any info on the web about this.

Overall, they are great boats. Not fast, but sturdy and fun to sail. They have a great PHRF (~240) so if you plan to race and you can figure out how to fly a spinnaker, you could be really competitive, especially in light winds.

I missed your introduction so apologies for the delayed WELCOME!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
MC Cal 20 Owner

Thank you all for the info. I feel rather foolish as nolatom suggested looking at the owners manual to see what it had on rigging. Well I had breezed through that several times looking at different items never seeing the page on rigging requirements.....duh. well I have it now thanks to nolatom. Thanks for the Phrf on the cal 20. I found the " how to calc phrf" article but had not done it yet. The sails are with the boat or rather in their closet and I haven't taken a look at them yet. I'm hoping to get a season of learning out of them but since they washed them I'll bet they have been folded in the bag since 98 so I'm not sure how they will be. I will keep you all posted on the restoration although so far it only looks like the keel needs refinished and painted and minor above and below deck work. I even found some 4 inch poly foam set out for free that looks as it may fit nearly perfect for the bow birth and some that may work for one of the other births this week so the search is on and I'm collecting and looking forward to another project that this time is for My enjoyment...ps my wife thinks I'm crazy to do this at 54 but like I told her. "What keeps me moving and shaking keeps me young". She finally agreed to learn something about sailing yesterday though when I asked her what she was going to do when I fell over board? I think it scared her into learning. But that's a good thing.....unless she kicks me over board....hmm maybe I should be scared
Old 3 Weeks Ago

You bring up a good point. If it doesn't have one, you should mount a stern ladder though even with this, it can be extremely hard to get back on board. MOB drills can be fun, as long as you're not the MOB! Good luck
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MC Cal 20 Owner

That is a ver good suggestion. Can anyone supply photos/designs of a stern platform or ladder with a hung rudder/tiller setup as the cal 20s have? I have not seen one on any photos I have seen yet.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

It would be just a small pull down ladder bolted into one side of the stern. I'll try to remember to take a picture of one on Saturday.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
MC Cal 20 Owner

Thanks gamyaun its apreciated. I attached five photos let me know what you think of the ball park looks
Attached Thumbnails
new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_115437.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_115248.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_114806.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_114945.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140529_180613.jpg  

Old 2 Weeks Ago
MC Cal 20 Owner

A couple more photos.
Attached Thumbnails
new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_114602.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_115322.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_114659.jpg   new cal 20 owner looking for information-20140615_114630.jpg