Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014

paikea is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard woman alone

Dear all,

Considering I ended up on a 16 hours long flight I had plenty of time to go over all the answers in details and make proper notes. When I started this thread I was indeed vague, because I had no idea of a lot of things and didnt know how far I can push this , now and later in years from now, your answers greatly helped me put a picture together.
My ultimate and ideal objective would be to end up sailing around the world, not a "race" sail, but going with the flow and the wind wherever, my home being a boat in every sense of the word and the world being my backyard. This fits very well with me personally, my mindset and my interests and loves. But honestly for years I just considered that as idealistic thinking.
I thought of starting now with getting used to boats, living on boats, sailing as much as I can to gain experience. And for the moment keep working. What I realized now is that there is no way I could sail longer distances ( ie. 3 weeks) and still work on the boat at the same time, regardless I have internet or not. It would be downright irresponsible for solo cruising, the boat doesn't sail itself. So for now, as denise said, I will focus on gaining sailing experience and learning about boats from every aspect, what would I want and expect from a boat, crew on some as I also learnt is also possible even if my experience is small. If after that I still want to go on, buy a boat, fix it to my needs, choose a nice and convenient marina for me considering the occasional trips too, be there for 6 months or one year, good internet next to a marina now I see its very possible thanks to SVAuspicious and svzephyr44. Weekend sails, experience gaining, and then I can start to hop from marina to marina, these are shorter trips, and then years from now internationally but not working while I cross. I even learnt that I can hire someone to sail my boat while I fly there and hence keep working. Although I would worry a lot. My life would be on that boat.
In rest, you all addressed very good points, but if you personally knew me, you would also know that they wouldn't be big issues for me, ie, small space, small bathroom, limited things, limited water, cooking in small places with hardly any kitchen appliances, etc. , learning diesel engines and plumbing and electronics, that will be fun for me, not a chore. Carrying water and emptying sewage, part of life like anything else, doable. I would seriously run from winter on a boat, that's not me! There I draw the line.
What truly worries me is feeling seasick because I am too much on a laptop on a rocking boat or not being able to do my job on a boat because of that or other reasons.
The other thing that worries me is not being able to handle/sail the boat. It does require strength, and on serious winds that becomes an issue and risk, for me and for all of you out there. I don't say that women are less capable then men, but even if I want to change the tire on my Wrangler, I can tell you, its not a small tire.
All in all, you all helped me put a part of the puzzle together and now I see maybe this is not an idealistic dream after all.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Ah... the second thoughts are setting in! There are children sailing solo around the world, You can't change a tire because you haven't learned the "logic" you would use to do it without muscles.

This book is inspiring!
http://sailing.about.com/od/introduc...ook-Review.htm
captain jack likes this.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
captain jack (08-19-2014), paikea (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014

Thank you denise, I love book recommendations!
No second thoughts, just like to do a good homework. I have done plenty of dumb things in my life as it is. This I hope wont go on that list.
And you are very correct, when its done with logic and some basic physics involved, the muscle can be sorted out. It was a pain though doing that in the mountains 4x4ing, with a pouring rain and mud/slipping everywhere.
Old 08-08-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paikea View Post
What truly worries me is feeling seasick because I am too much on a laptop on a rocking boat or not being able to do my job on a boat because of that or other reasons.
The other thing that worries me is not being able to handle/sail the boat. It does require strength, and on serious winds that becomes an issue and risk, for me and for all of you out there.
I have been sailing for many years and I have gotten seasick a few times, but it was always in bad weather. It was not fun, but it can be handled in several ways. Eventually you get used to it. Unless you are especially susceptible to motion sickness (people who get sick just being a car passenger for an hour) this should not be a big issue, and never when you are parked at a marina. I love when the boat rocks a little when I'm anchored somewhere. No problem with cooking, reading, or any other activities.
Handling a boat is a bigger issue. You don't want to get a boat that is too big. With a bit of practice you should be able to handle a 30 foot boat, even if you are a size 2 and 5'0". The key is doing things in a prudent fashion and avoiding rough weather. Having a reliable engine helps a lot too.
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
paikea (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014

[QUOTE=deniseO30;2080401]Ah... the second thoughts are setting in! There are children sailing solo around the world, You can't change a tire because you haven't learned the "logic" you would use to do it without muscles.

Ahh Denise, now I realize why you said I might have second thoughts.
I ended my post with "now I see maybe this is not an idealistic dream after all."
English is not my mother tongue, to me saying "idealistic dreams" is like saying I am dreaming the impossible. Or as we say in my country "dreaming green horses on walls".
So me writing "this is not an idealistic dream after all", that's me saying, "hey maybe this is not an impossible dream after all".
But maybe I am using the idealistic word in a wrong context and I end up saying something else.
Old 08-08-2014

You must be Romanian then.
Old 08-08-2014

Indeed Krisscross, born there, but left the country long ago. Now how on earth would you know that?
Old 08-08-2014

The magic of Google?
Old 08-08-2014
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Paikea..

I loved your long post and thank you for the complement.

In the United States the Navy Seals are one of (in my humble opinion the best of, but then I spent 30 years in the Navy) the most elite special forces organizations. Seal training is very difficult, even with picking the "best of the best" to start the training program a very large percentage drop out along the way. Potential Seals train for 26 weeks before even going to the actual Seal training program. In the center of the training compound there is a bell. If you want to drop out you ring the bell. Like potential Seals perhaps the most important attitude one can have in solo sailing is never ring the bell!

When I first started solo sailing I joked about switching from plan "A" to plan "B" when plan "A" wasn't working out. It became a standing joke when on one particular trip I got up to plan "K." Since then I have been in 50 knot winds, 15 foot seas, lost rudder control 1,000 NM offshore, watched my jib shred itself to death in a thunderstorm when the furler jammed and a bunch of other stuff I will not bore you with. I think you have a rational approach to learning and doing over the next years. You may end up solo circumnavigating (one of the most elite clubs on earth - I was once told it is smaller than the number of people who have climbed Mt Everest) or change your mind and do other things. But along the way you will learn, have fun and have some disappointing experiences. It all comes with the territory. And when you are ready to start your solo circumnavigation you can stop being rational because only crazy people like us try it. So good luck and just remember:

Never ring the bell!

Fair winds and following seas
captain jack likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:

Blog:
The Following User Says Thank You to svzephyr44 For This Useful Post:
paikea (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
It became a standing joke when on one particular trip I got up to plan "K."
Oh man Roger. I don't think I've gotten beyond plan "E." Keeping morale up and motivation high just gets harder and harder. You just have to buck up and do what needs to be done.

+1 Never ring the bell.
paikea likes this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.