Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2006

kalirose is on a distinguished road
Great Lakes Sailing Destination Suggestions?

What is your favorite sailing/boating destination on any of the Great Lakes? Preferred marinas, cities, villages? Please share your experiences and offer some trip advice.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2006

MHRitter is on a distinguished road
I like the North Channel Immensely

We also like Door County and Lake Charlevoix the anchorage at South Manitou and of course the majesty of the Mackinaw Bridge (just plain wow) along with the beauty of Mackinaw Island. Heck I even enjoyed three years of Saturday races out of Bay View Yacht Club in the late 60ís out on Lake St. Clair.

We did America's Great River Loop and also enjoyed the Trent Severn immensely. The Canadians are so super friendly to us, you almost did not want to go back to the US.

The Canadian charts were a little hard for me to read cause they did not always have all the 4 foot deep spots inside the 6 foot contour line near the French Island Chain west of Blind River. See the problem spot at:
http://www.markusritter.users.greenbaynet.com/Depths/Canada_hit.htm

PS we are doing a Navigation Seminar for the local USPS Squadrons in Green Bay on the 13th of May 2006 for more details and a sample of the seminar go to www.usps.org/lc/door

Markus Ritter AP
Door County Sail & Power Squadron
last summer's canadian trip
http://www.usps.org/lc/door/Canada%20TripJ.JPG
Old 04-29-2006

safehousemilw is on a distinguished road
The Apostle Islands

I have spent about a month and a half sailing in the apostle islands. It is a beautiful area full of islands near Bayfield Wisconsin. Bayfield is a great little tourist town too, and you have to check out madeline island. Currently I sail out of milwaukee and unfortunately there is not much to see out in the water. No islands within 50 miles. I have only sailed lake superior and lake michigan but in my experience the apostle islands area is the best.

Last edited by safehousemilw; 04-29-2006 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
Lake Michigan is my area of knowledge. My favorite spots are Fayette, Washington Island, and the Traverse Bay area.
Old 05-03-2006

davidzeiss is on a distinguished road
I spent the better part of a summer on Lake Superior and recommend the Apostle Islands as a fun place to cruise. These Islands are farily close together. Most are deserted and proteted by the national park system. Definately see some of the old lighthouses. The sea caves on Stockton are fun to explore by dinghy. Bayfield is a fun town, but I have launched my boat our of Ashland for cost reasons. I really enjoyed sailing over to Grand Marais, MN as well as visiting Isle Royale.
Old 05-03-2006

bmunse is on a distinguished road
We are planning a trip to Grand Traverse Bay in July. Our lack of any great lake sailing experience made us choose this seemingly protected area. Irwin 32, can you suggest a notable marina or must not miss area?
Old 05-12-2006

Irwin32 is on a distinguished road
bmunse:

My favorite hs always been Northport. The town is small, but did have groceries and a restaurant in walking distance. The harbor is well protected. Traverse City Marina was nice. there are a few other marinas along that shore near T City, but I have not been to them. I also liked Elk Rapids on the east bay. There is a nice anchorage off the penninsula - Boyer's harbor, I think. Have a good cruise - it is a lovely area.