Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree162Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2014

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: So where the heck do you shower???

Both my heads are designed to be used as showers, tho neither has a separate stall just for that. If we are with others (rafted up or sailing with guests) we use them with either a solar shower or regular water system if hot is available.
The Marina we live at has three separate private shower rooms for slip holders and livea boards. I've not had to wait for a room yet. There are also laundry facilities. Most Marinas will have at least that much.

As to the 6'7" issue, he's going to have to learn to sleep curled up or angled on most any boat you can find. I've got a full queen in my aft cabin I just measured it at 81 inches, 6'9" (Irwin 38 center cockpit) that's headboard to toes dangling.
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-08-2014

paikea is on a distinguished road

Unless you have to wash your hair, a good option sometimes is also a simple but very effective hot water-lemon wash.
Warm up a little water, like in a kettle for tea. Pour it in a little plastic washbowl (you can even get a camping washbowl that you can fold when stored- less space), squeeze half a lemon in it and with a little washcloth, scrub yourself everywhere. Keep rinsing it in the water in the little bowl. And of course start with top and finish bottom.
This is not only a very effective cleaning, but your skin and blood circulation will thank you greatly. If you can you can even do a quick dry brush before.

I do this at home even next to the shower because it happens to be a very healthy thing to do for the skin and body.
Hope this helps.
captain jack and Nancyleeny like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2014

zeilfanaat is on a distinguished road

I'm 6'8" so I feel your husband's pain (literally, at times).

As others have said, you can shower sitting down in the head, or even kneeling on the floor. But if your goal is to do overnight cruises, I believe it's much more important to find a boat with berths and cockpit seats that you can completely stretch out in. If you feel rotten if you can't take a shower, imagine how much worse you feel after a few days if you don't sleep well.

We have a Jeanneau 33i. Her aft berth is palatial and I fit quite well in it; the v-berth is a bit tight but works in a pinch when we have VIPs aboard.
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-08-2014

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyleeny View Post
Thank you or all the information! Wow! So much great experience!

If anyone cares to jump in on the berth length question, that would be great. Do any 34 for boats have berths long enough for my poor, tall husband? I was looking online at the 37 foot Tartan, but they go up up quite a lot in price.

Thanks!
Nncy
The boat I learned to sail on (racing) was a ~1984 Dehler Optima 10.1 (~34'). Skipper was about 6'5" and chose the boat for it's extra long berths. I thought it was a pretty good racer/cruiser. Can be outfitted to lean more toward racing or cruising pretty well.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

We have three showers. One in each head and one back on the swim platform. In a deserted anchorage (or after dark) we prefer to use the shower on the swim platform. Probably, because I'm 6'3" and it's just a lot easier to not have to bend over at all. We also have a sun shower to avoid having to run the generator or engine to heat water.
Nancyleeny likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 08-08-2014

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

I have a separate shower stall in my 30 foot Nonsuch. Jumping in the Chesapeake Bay to get clean is not really an option. But for one night cruises we frequently rely on sponge baths instead of a shower. And if we stay at a marina we shower there. Still, we really like having a private shower on board.

If you do find a boat you like with a shower, make sure it does not drain into the bilge. It should have its own shower sump and get pumped overboard.
Nancyleeny likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 08-08-2014

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Nancy, you can shower in the cockpit using (sparingly!) a quality biodegradable and natural soap that does not contain phosphorus. Olivier soaps makes the really good stuff but there are quite a few choices out there as well.
https://www.oliviersoaps.com/
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-08-2014

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

We use a converted black pesticide sprayer that you can pressurize to get a nice spray. Shower on deck when alone, or in the cockpit so as to not offend the delicate sensitivities of gawking neighbours. But showers only happen once in a while. We sponge bath every day. Not hard to keep the grime off with a moist cloth and a bit of soap.
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-08-2014

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
We have three showers. One in each head and one back on the swim platform. In a deserted anchorage (or after dark) we prefer to use the shower on the swim platform. Probably, because I'm 6'3" and it's just a lot easier to not have to bend over at all. We also have a sun shower to avoid having to run the generator or engine to heat water.
Yup, shower on the steps in the summer. Not hard to do if you wear a loose bathing suit and/or anchor in remote areas. It is a nice follow-up to a swim, it keeps the dampness out of the boat, and there is all the room in the world. You dry off more quickly too, and your bathing suit gets rinsed (I practically live in board shorts when summer cruising anyway).

Yes, we have a nice shower in the head, and in the winter hot and steamy is nice. Of course, in the winter, it is also much more practical to simply bathe in the sink.

If were very tall, faced with the realities of boat dimensions, I would consider installing a cockpit or transom shower. very handy for many clean-up tasks and not difficult.
Nancyleeny likes this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 08-08-2014

sailpower is on a distinguished road

Pearson 365/367 ketch/sloop/cutter 1976-1983. Sloops and ketches are 4'6 draft. Cutters are 5'6.

150 gallons of water in three hard tanks and a real stall shower. Also a large comfortable cockpit.

Priced all over the place.

1980 and up could have a teak interior. Formica prior.

Pearson 365

Pearson 36 Cutter

PEARSON 367 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

PEARSON 365 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
RickWestlake and Nancyleeny like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.