Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2014

Nancyleeny is on a distinguished road
So where the heck do you shower???

We have been looking at boats, and even though we looked at boats up to 34 feet (because the smaller ones ended up being way too tight for my 6ft7in husband) there are no showers!! So if you are onboard for more than a day or two, whether at mooring or traveling, where are some places you can shower??

I know in fresh water you can take a dip, but you can't shampoo, right?? But what about salt? Do marinas you can moor at have showers you can use?? Looking for ideas. We love everything about sailing so far, but the thought of no shower for a week - ugh. Not my cup of tea.

Thanks!
Nancy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: So where the heck do you shower???

Shower? Didn't someone explain to you that showering is for wimps (or power boaters, but that is sort redundant)? Do you really think Admiral Nelson ever took a shower?
T37Chef, vega1860, Dog8It and 3 others like this.
Old 08-07-2014

ggray is on a distinguished road

Even though there isn't likely (on that size boat) a separate "shower", most have a shower sprayer used inside the head. Makes it wet in there, but helps keeps it clean.
Signed,
Wimpy
& Stinky
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-07-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road

I've got pretty much zero experience, but here's what little I know...

1. The yacht club based at our marina has showers. Membership in the club is reciprocal w/ almost all of the marinas and clubs around Lake Ontario, meaning you can use the facilities at the other yacht clubs, too.

2. When tent-camping at out-of-the-way, no-facilities areas, we take along a solar shower. Basically, it's a strong plastic bag that's clear on one side and black on the other, holds a couple gallons, and has a short hose with a primitive valve and shower nozzle attachment. Fill it with water, place it in the sun for a few hours, and the water gets more than hot enough for at least two folks to each enjoy a nice warm shower.. on a real sunny day it gets hotter than our hot water at home! We're going to take it with us on the boat, hoist it off the deck on a halyard, and enjoy a nice hot shower on deck when anchored. Bathing suits will be required, I guess, if we have neighbors... but it's still a hot shower!

Just some ideas..

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-07-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

At 6'7" his head is already in the clouds. I suggest sailing with rain in the forecast and send him outside!

My previous boat was 31' and we showered in the cockpit. I had a Solar Shower for hot water and a pressurized sprayer to get the soap out. If you find yourself too uncomfortable with showering in public then wear a swimsuit.

Most marinas do have bathrooms with showers for use.

Salt water is fine for washing in. Joy makes great suds. Jump in get out, lather up, jump in to rinse off soap, get back on the boat and a fresh water rinse is all you need.
Rhapsody-NS27 and Nancyleeny like this.
Old 08-07-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

I saw a couple that used a couple large solar shower setups for their hot water use. In my boat, there's a built in pan w/drain in the head, but no shower compartment. If needed, I could just use a 5gal bucket for water. If a boat you find have an enclosure or some way for privacy in the cockpit, or you're in a remote place, just shower in the cockpit. I'm 6'5" so I could either use the cockpit for head space or in the head down below and just sit w/sponge bath. This might be an area in boating you have to get creative.
Nancyleeny likes this.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell
Old 08-07-2014
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

Holy cow Daniel!! Do you have a mast or do you just hold the sails up with your arms on a 27'er?
Old 08-07-2014

bblument is on a distinguished road

OK... thread hijack alert...

I gotta confess, I'm getting a little intimidated with all the heights being bandied about here... 6' 7".... 6' 5"... 6' 1"... I'm 5' 8" if I stand real, REAL tall with perfect posture. Am I too small to sail?!??

Best to all from way down here,

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Old 08-07-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 showers on my boat. Don't think a 6'7" person would fit standing up, but the aft shower has a seat.

The one thing my wife said when we went to get our first boat was that it had to have a good shower (so add this to that women's wants thread, but I fully agreed). Of course that resulted in a 39' boat.
Nancyleeny likes this.
Old 08-07-2014
just ducky

Don0190 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
OK... thread hijack alert...

I gotta confess, I'm getting a little intimidated with all the heights being bandied about here... 6' 7".... 6' 5"... 6' 1"... I'm 5' 8" if I stand real, REAL tall with perfect posture. Am I too small to sail?!??

Well....................................yes! Sailing is for grownups!
WindchaserPY23 and Nancyleeny like this.