Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Schooner Captain

UnionPacific is on a distinguished road
Central vac

Has anyone installed a central vac in their sailboat? I have been toying with the idea. We have two labs, a cat, and a lot of fur to clean up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Central vac

Whenever I need to vac the boat, I consider the same idea.. Shouldn't be a whole lotta trouble to mount a small wet'n'dry vac underneathy somewheres and tube to a convenient loc. Moreroom to maneuver while vac'cing.. Less roomto stow hose conveniently..

No. animals aboard, so I just use a decent. HH, 12 v car-vac. It*is* amazing how much sand/debris/dust collect in a weekend!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaten View Post
No. animals aboard, so I just use a decent. HH, 12 v car-vac. It*is* amazing how much sand/debris/dust collect in a weekend!
Right now we have an awesome rechargable vac, works good, but its no shopvac. I was thinking of hanging a 15 gallon in the laz, and placing a hose to the bottom to drain off water. It would have to be a wet/dry so the dirt devil is out.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I had a central vac on my Chaparral 350 Signature during my foray into power boating. I don't remember the brand. This is the link I have: Marine Vacuum .
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Last edited by SVAuspicious; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Has anyone installed a central vac in their sailboat? I have been toying with the idea. We have two labs, a cat, and a lot of fur to clean up.
That would seem to be rather more brain damage than the problem merits. A good smaller shop vac has lots of uses aboard. We use ours for cleaning up below and, sometimes above deck (especially when sanding for bright-work), for clearing out any traces of water in the bilge when we've had a wet sail, for scavenging hoses when that's necessary and, with a 2-gallon plastic jug, for suctioning oil out of our engine and generator for oil changes. As we do have an English Cocker Spaniel that sometimes sails with us and also sheds (as does my much better half who seems to insist on brushing her hair in front of the mirror in the salon despite having two heads to choose from!) we have a small hand-held "Dirt Devil" vac with a beater-bar brush that, together with a lint roller follow-up, is very effective at removing hair/fur etc. from the cushions and area carpets and easily powers off our inverter. (One of my daughter's jobs was the daily vacuuming when she was cruising with us--considering she's the one that insisted on bringing the puppy along.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 4 Weeks Ago
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Seriously?
We have rechargeable shop vac, uses same bty as power tools.
Small easy to use, stow and empty, acts as a blower to get leaves, cobwebs off above decks.
Why all the work installing hose, wiring and end up with something lesa convieniant?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Schooner Captain

I wouldn't call it less convenient to plug in a hose and flip a switch. We vacuum daily, so its a chore.

Last edited by UnionPacific; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:14 PM.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Tanley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionPacific View Post
Central vac on a sailboat? Sounds like something you'd find on a Jeanneau...

Kidding aside (and FWIW), this little unit has worked flawlessly for over 5 years on everything from dog hair to sea water.

DEWALT DC515K 1/2-Gallon 18-Volt NiCd Cordless Wet/Dry Vac - Shop Wet Dry Vacuums - Amazon.com DEWALT DC515K 1/2-Gallon 18-Volt NiCd Cordless Wet/Dry Vac - Shop Wet Dry Vacuums - Amazon.com

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Schooner Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanley View Post
Central vac on a sailboat? Sounds like something you'd find on a Jeanneau...

Kidding aside (and FWIW), this little unit has worked flawlessly for over 5 years on everything from dog hair to sea water.

DEWALT DC515K 1/2-Gallon 18-Volt NiCd Cordless Wet/Dry Vac - Shop Wet Dry Vacuums - Amazon.com
:P

What would you compare the suction power to? at least a 2 gallon shop vac? or much less?

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Seems to me the hoses installed would take up more space in the various lockers than benefit would be gained.

We have a five outlet ducted Eberspacher heater on ours and quite frankly I don't see the point on a 42'er. One outlet in the main saloon is quite sufficient to heat the entire boat and we could rid ourselves of all that tubing.

Yes a vac hose is not the same diameter as our heater but even so it seems both overkill and a waste of space. We use something a bit similar to Tanley's De Walt and find it quite sufficient.

Then again we don't have any animals on board (myself excluded of course) and the Wombet has short hair.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.