SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Cruising & Liveaboard Forum (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/)
-   -   Inland Waterway (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising-liveaboard-forum/1631-inland-waterway.html)

larry Mathews 07-02-2001 01:31 PM

Inland Waterway

Hello,

How can I obtain info. on cruising to Florida via the Inland waterway. My wife and I are retired and would like to help? crew. Any info would be appreicated.

regards, Larry

jack_patricia 07-03-2001 01:28 PM

Inland Waterway

Larry, I could interpret your posting several different ways - could you please provide a more specific question?

Jack

larry Mathews 07-04-2001 07:11 AM

Inland Waterway

Jack,

My wife and I would like to find a boat owner that will cruise to Florida this fall via the inland waterway. We would be willing to share expenses. I have some experience with small sailboats and could help crew.
We are both retired, non smokers, Jayne is an R.N. and I retired from a business form company.

regards, Larry

kimberlite 07-04-2001 09:07 PM

Inland Waterway

where are you located we are going south to the turks and caikos and stopping in fla.
eric

jack_patricia 07-05-2001 07:55 AM

Inland Waterway

Eric''s asked a good question, as suggestions vary a bit based on where you''d like to pick up the boat.

Don''t overlook posting your ''ad'' in marinas & yacht clubs in the major sailing areas near you. Leave a reliable phone #, a good email address, and promise a thorough outline of your experience & qualifications if contacted. Moreover, these days there are free sailing newspapers in every major sailing area of the U.S. and a paid ad in a few of them will reach a wide audience. The Chesapeake''s SPINSHEET and the southeast''s SOUTHWINDS are both good examples, and I believe they both have websites.

Finally, a couple of organizations to considering using:
-- Think about trying to ''plug in'' to the Waterway Radio & Cruising Club (www.jstorm.com/wrcc I believe). This is a 2,000 member ham/cruising community who''s members frequently transit the ICW and Bahamas *very* routinely. They have a quarterly newsletter where such ads can be placed, altho'' I''d try to work with a local member and his radio!
-- Also consider the SSCA (www.ssca.org). They are located in Ft. Lauderdale, have a BB at their website, and last I heard have 10,000 members.

Good luck on the search; you should find many opportunities.

Jack

larry Mathews 07-05-2001 04:42 PM

Inland Waterway

KIMBERLITE,

We are in Indiana and would drive to the East Coast and fly back to the starting point and drive home.

Larry

larry Mathews 07-05-2001 04:47 PM

Inland Waterway

Jack,

Thanks for the info. As we are landlocked publications are somewhat limited. I will follow up on one of the web sites.

Larry