Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2014
Splice the main brace!

brottousn is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Califonia to Brazil.

I want to sail from California to Brazil. go south down past mexico past Central America, through the panama canal. out the other side down to Brazil to a small town called paracuru. I would spend my summers there as a boy. iam originally from brazil also Fortaleza where my journey would eventfully end. I also have family near Rio and manaus where I was born. this is something I want to plan and and study on. I want to accomplish this with-in the next 3 - 5 years. I have made up my mind. I will do this. the reason Iam writing this post is I cannot seem to find any information about this route or journey. I want to read about others who have done this I want to hear their experiences. books I should read? I need information and I haven't had much luck looking it up. thanks for the help in advance.

regards

Victor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road
Re: Califonia to Brazil.

Victor, the reason you won't find much written about this route is that it's not a common route to take to Brazil. From Panama you will be fighting the prevailing winds and a strong current all the way to the bulge of Brazil (João Pessoa). It can be done, but it's not an easy route! Have a look at this article written by James Baldwin and the loooong route he took to Brazil to avoid what you're proposing.

Atom Voyages - The Long Way Back to Brazil (Part 1)

(Click on "part 2" to continue reading)

Boa sorte!
paikea likes this.
Old 09-22-2014
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brottousn View Post
I want to sail from California to Brazil. go south down past mexico past Central America, through the panama canal. out the other side down to Brazil to a small town called paracuru. I would spend my summers there as a boy. iam originally from brazil also Fortaleza where my journey would eventfully end. I also have family near Rio and manaus where I was born. this is something I want to plan and and study on. I want to accomplish this with-in the next 3 - 5 years. I have made up my mind. I will do this. the reason Iam writing this post is I cannot seem to find any information about this route or journey. I want to read about others who have done this I want to hear their experiences. books I should read? I need information and I haven't had much luck looking it up. thanks for the help in advance.

regards

Victor
California to Brazil is really really tough.

Here is a better idea. Leave from the EAST coast of the USA. Somewhere around North Carolina. Sail to the Azores possibly via Bermuda. From the Azores you want to finish up in the Canary Islands. You can go direct or via Spain and Portugal. From the Canaries it will be an easy sail to Brazil possibly via the Cape Verde islands.
Old 09-22-2014

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
California to Brazil is really really tough.

Here is a better idea. Leave from the EAST coast of the USA. Somewhere around North Carolina. Sail to the Azores possibly via Bermuda. From the Azores you want to finish up in the Canary Islands. You can go direct or via Spain and Portugal. From the Canaries it will be an easy sail to Brazil possibly via the Cape Verde islands.
This is the route I took, but sailed from NYC. I crossed from the Canaries to Natal, then coasted south to Rio. I met a delivery skipper in Bermuda who was sailing directly from Bermuda to Brazil, but he was on a 60 footer, had a full crew and the entire deck was lined with fuel jerrycans.
If you truck the boat to the east coast, you will save a lot of time and money than thru the canal, etc.
copacabana likes this.
Old 09-22-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Or you could go westward to Brazil from California if you have time. You would get to visit some other interesting places along the way. Would be a much more pleasant and comfortable trip, albeit longer.
copacabana likes this.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 09-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Or you could go westward to Brazil from California if you have time. You would get to visit some other interesting places along the way. Would be a much more pleasant and comfortable trip, albeit longer.
Now, that is thinking out of the Panama Canal box!
Old 09-23-2014
Splice the main brace!

brottousn is on a distinguished road

thanks you very much for all the good advice and answers. SVTatia how long did you trip take
Old 09-23-2014

copacabana is on a distinguished road

Victor, are you planning on keeping this sailboat in Brazil after you arrive? There is a time limitation for foreign-flagged yachts in Brazil (6 months, unless it's changed). If your plan is to spend time sailing around in Brazil, you might want to consider buying your boat here. At any rate, be aware that "importing" your boat to Brazil is very expensive. See link below:

Revista Náutica ? Ver Tópico - Importar produtos/veículos náuticos

You might want to check out the forum as well for information on sailing in Brazil:

Revista Náutica ? Página Principal

You asked for a book reference. You might want to check out this bookstore:

A Moana Livros especializada em Náutica e Aventura. livros, DVD, Carta de Navegação, Equipamento para Navegação, Consultoria para proprietário de barcos de passeio, veleiros, lanchas a transatlanticos, navíos...

There are a few books that come to mind that describe the slog down the coast. It usually involes sailing very close to shore to get out of the north-flowing current and taking advantage of the "terral" wind that blows off the land in the evening. The trip is complicated by shallows, sandbars, unlit fishing boats and very high tides. I can assure you, the trip back up to the Caribbean will be a cake walk after the slog down!

Abraço!
Old 09-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by brottousn View Post
thanks you very much for all the good advice and answers. SVTatia how long did you trip take
7 months from Toronto via NYC, Bermuda, Azores (4 islands) and Madeira.
But stayed a month in Bermuda, 40 days in the Azores, a month in Madeira.
All of those stops were planned for two weeks max... The best time to sail south from the Azores is before the Equinox, and the best time to sail to Brazil from Madeira is around mid-November, so, we need to smell the flowers as they say, and adjust for the best timing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copacabana View Post
Victor, are you planning on keeping this sailboat in Brazil after you arrive? There is a time limitation for foreign-flagged yachts in Brazil (6 months, unless it's changed)....

...I can assure you, the trip back up to the Caribbean will be a cake walk after the slog down!

Abraço!
Copa is right, but there are 87 and a half ways to circumvent this. As a Brazilian I could stay forever, but the boat had to go. Since my boat did not have any means of remote control, I convinced them to extend my stay. I ended up staying more than 2 years, and met French, Italians, etc that were there longer. This is an ancient law that needs addressing, and there is no way to leave Brazil for a foreign port and come back to re-validate the stay, unless you are near Uruguay.

The trip north is easier, but I was stuck in Bahia for a few months waiting for weather. However, I did offer a few prayers for the weather not to change.... but that is another story. Bahia is the best place to get stuck in.
copacabana likes this.
Old 09-23-2014
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'm curious: In a recent post you mention that you just bought a 27 foot O'Day with an outboard. Is this the boat that you intend to sail to Brazil? That will be quite the adventure.

I've never been through the Panama Canal, but you might want to check that they allow boats with outboards to transit. I've read from others that went through that you have to be able to maintain a certain speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Tags
blue water , brazil , long distance , preparations , preparedness

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.