Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
Height Iwc Bridges And Depth Of Water

Does Anyone Know The Lowest Bridge? My Mast Is 57' And My Boat Draws 6'. Am I Too Tall Or Too Deep For The Iwc? Any Information Or Web Sites W/info. I Sail In Long Island Sound Ct. , Block Island Sound Ri And Ma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
ICW depth and bridges

I assume you mean the ICW from Norfolk to Miami annd not the W. Coast of FL or Gulf coast which are quite a bit more shoal and have lower bridges.
From Norfolk to Miami you will have NO problems with bridges except for the Julia Tuttle bridge in Miami...You can avoid this by going outside from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami which is a daytime trip in good weather and is a heck of a lot more pleasant than negotiating the 17 opening bridges between the two cities.
Depths will be much more of an issue for you as shoaling in numerous spots and lack of dredging has increased. We too have a 6ft. draft and very recently came north on the ICW without bumping BUT...
  • We did a LOT of pre-planning and knew the trouble spots before trying them. Skipper Bob's guide and website is a must have and Tom & Mel Neals bi-weekly updates on the BoatUS.com Forum under East Coast Alerts are critical. We marked up our charts accordingly and planned our daily trips to take advantage of tides where needed. Since GA and SC have 8ft tides...you can get through anywhere if you can wait.
  • We DID go offshore between Georgetown SC and Beaufort NC as we judged the shoals and lack of enough tidal help too difficult in Southern NC at Lockwoods Folly and Little River Inlet. Trip was an easy "overnighter" in settled weather. This may not be an issue by the time you go as dredging is planned for both these areas.
  • You also need to get the hang of buoy to buoy motoring on the ICW, making rounded turns and staying in the channel despite wind/current and distances between markers. We've seen numerous boats with shallow drafts aground in places where plenty of water was just a few yards away. Looks easy but motoring for 10 hours a day...a few moments of inattention can result in a grounding.
Hope this helps...Have a great trip and try to allow time for exploration as there are lots of great little and big towns along the way!
Old 06-11-2006

4square is on a distinguished road
I am in S. Carolina right now. 57 feet is no problem for any fixed bridge on ICW. 6ft draft will get you on the bar if you don't pay attention to ALL your data ALL the time. We draw 5ft 6inches and have bumped 3 times so far. All due to our own inattention. It is a full time job for the two of us. Jack D
Old 06-14-2006

nelsonsmoody is on a distinguished road
thank you both.
I have some research to do.
the information was every helpful.
once again thank you
nelson
Old 01-25-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Boy this is not cool. I have a 6' draft to contend with.
Old 01-25-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
As a side note.....lowest fixed bridge west of New Orleans is 71', except for one 48 footer that is bypassed by the GIWW Alternate between Rockport and Corpus Christi. Depths are fairly constant at 12 feet mid-channel, but can shoal steeply towards the banks.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jags...the key is careful navigation. Dredging has taken place in NC and the really bad areas are fixed. No bumps even with 6ft. this past April/May.
Old 01-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Nelsonmoody,

Just went under the Julia Tuttle (lowest bridge on ICW) last month with a Whitby 42 ketch, a Morgan 382? (the Brewer designed one) and a Beneteau 423, I was in a Ben 393. Everyone got under ok. I went through the center draw and the others went through the span west of the center draw. We measured the sticks the day before but I forget the exact measurements. The spans on either side have good water and are a foot or two higher than the center span. They say the east span is even higher than the west one. We usually go outside from Lauderdale to Miami but it was blowing so badly we decided to go inside rather than wait for weather.

Old 01-25-2007

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
Vasco -- what was the highest mast height you took under the tuttle bridge - i am in miami and have a 56' mast on a 40' Jeanneau and thought a few times of trying it on the west side at low tide but have not yet
thanks
chuck and s/v soulmates
Old 01-25-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Chuck,

I don't think you'll have a problem. (easy for me to say ) The east side is higher than the west side. We went through at higher than half tide if my recollection is correct. I think the 423's mast was about 57 ft with his vhf antenna. If you go through the west span stick close to the east as it gets lower towards the west, vice versa for the east span. When you get close it's easy to see where the maximum height is.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.