Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2014

Lochmoigh is on a distinguished road
Potential move To Southern CA

I am going to be in So cal (Lake Eslinore) want to do some scouting for potential Live aboard marinas. Dana point is an easy commute but seems high( if they have slips open) is Oceanside a good alternative? or even North San Diego? I go go up the 15 to work from SD. I looked at some threads bu they were several years old.

Thanks from the guppy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2014

gptyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Potential move To Southern CA

A liveaboard spot in Dana Point is almost impossible. They say no liveaboards < 34 ft, and there's an extra fee. I was on the 30ft list for a year, I imagine the 35ft list is years of waiting.

Oceanside the slip can go with the boat.

San Diego, there's moorings and liveaboards to be had, just depends on the marina.

San pedro - same.

Dunno about Newport.
Old 10-09-2014

I found a Cat 27 in Oceanside I am going to look at next week.
Old 10-09-2014

gptyk is on a distinguished road

From the oceanside harbor website:

Liveaboards

There are a limited number of liveaboard permits available in our Harbor at an additional charge of $3.30 per foot per month. There is a waiting list for liveaboard permits.

So cal really doesn't like liveaboards.
Old 10-09-2014
Don't call me a "senior"!

Puddin'_Tain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptyk View Post
From the oceanside harbor website:

Liveaboards

There are a limited number of liveaboard permits available in our Harbor at an additional charge of $3.30 per foot per month. There is a waiting list for liveaboard permits.

SoCal really doesn't like liveaboards.
I think that it isn't so much that SoCal doesn't like liveaboards, as it is that the California Coastal Commission (a statewide entity) has effectively limited each marina to a certain percentage of live aboard slips (I think it's 10%). Actually, this is a good thing for the rest of us. With over 20,000,000 people living in Southern California, if there were no limits on liveaboards, pretty much all of the slips would wind up with liveaboards in fairly short order; or the slip fees would rise far above their already ridiculously high levels.
Typed on my Underwood Finger-Flight Champion portable typewriter (in triplicate, using carbon paper), sent to my basement laboratory via pneumatic tubes, transcribed by Minions on a Commodore 64 (complete with 5 1/4" single-sided floppy), and uploaded to the Internets via 14.4 kbit/s modem. Ain't modern technology grand?
Old 10-09-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road

Another one of these threads hm..

It's true that socal doesn't like liveaboards, there's an abundance of them doing it legally and illegally, the sneak-aboards ruin it for people who want to do it legally and pay the extra fees.

I heard you have to own the slip in Oceanside, and a 27 is tight to live in, even if you think you just need a bed to sleep in and a place for clothes, it's tight.

Your best bet would be somewhere in San Pedro/Wilmington, and it's pretty much dogsh*t driving through there everyday. The smell of refineries looming around all day and night made me sick enough not to consider it during my search.

Dana point, newport, Huntington harbor, all of them are impossible to be liveaboards

The commute from the ocean to Lake Elsinore would be pretty brutal as you either go the long way around on the freeway with traffic or the slow way through the hills...

I don't think apartment developments are expensive out there, that might be safer and cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-09-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

I hate to tell you this old son but to think the commute from Dana to Lake Elsinore is "easy" is dreaming or you and we have a starkly different sense of an easy commute. Before we quite SoCal to escape the rat race, excess taxes, over regulation, et al, we lived in Ritz Cove, just north of Dana Point Harbor, essentially at the west end of Niguel Road. At the time, my much better half was the CFO of the partnership that developed Coto de Caza ("Coto") and had to commute there daily, roughly only 2/3rds of the way to Lake Elsinore. If she did not leave by 0630 then, the trip took well over an hour and that was in 1992! With the population growth since then, I can't even imagine the commute now. You want a boat? Fine. To think you can comfortably live aboard in Dana, to say nothing of Oceanside, and commute? I find that really unlikely, at least for very long, in the equally unlikely event you can find a legal live aboard slip.

FWIW...
Philzy3985 likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 10-09-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: add addendum
Old 10-17-2014

SantaAna12 is on a distinguished road

Any chance you are ex-military OP? That might help you in Oceanside. There is a small armed services marina there. Also in San Diego.....NTC has a marina. Sneak aboard in Oceanside....last I heard.....they have some tight security.
San Diego has some good options still....they are spendy....but they are there.
If you end up in San Pedro.....try Cabrillo....cleanest air...and second best shot to the island.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2014

Thanks for the input. The guy never got back to me anyway. Just for giggles I made the drive from the lake to Oceanside and realized it would not be a doable day to day commute, I came to the realization that So Cal isn't for me on the trip anyways.

btw, "easy" meaning going through the Cleveland national forest going the opposite way of most commuters ( I don't think that Lake Elsinore is a big commute spot for most residents of LA.)
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Newport 30 sailor

elgatosunrise is on a distinguished road

well, the drive is something to consider - but I live next to a guy who prefers sailing in SD so much more than LA, that he makes the drive every weekend.

He is docked in Shelter Island at the Shelter Island yacht club - I believe with a 30 foot boat, the liveaboard costs are very good compared to LA prices. Plus, you are very close to the Pacific Ocean, so you're not spending all your time motoring through SD bay.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.