Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2000

DaveSchaefer is on a distinguished road
New Cuba book

With apologies for shameless self-promotion, thought a few cruisers might be interested in "Sailing to Hemingway''s Cuba" now arriving in book stores. Story of sailing an Endeavour 32 from Lake Champlain, Vermont, to Havana to track Hemingway haunts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2000

Marazul is on a distinguished road
New Cuba book

Promoting Cuba in any way, is like promoting the Nazis Army, or the Gestapo Killing Jewish in Europe in 1944. There are more than 20,000 dead children, man and woman in Cuban waters trying to escape Island of Terror under Castro Regimen. I personally Think, They deserve, the respect of the free world nations who lives in freedom and Democracy
Old 11-23-2000

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
New Cuba book

Marazul, rather than trash people with an interest in Cuba, which I presume is your homeland...try taking a positive approach to the situation. Issuing complaints about Cuba and Castro is meaningless in that you are only telling people what they already know.

There are many who are inquisitive and seek knowledge firsthand. They will continue to do so despite your protestations and comments.

Also, there are many many Americans who cannot understand why the Cuban community in the US has not taken matters into their own hands and solved the problems in their homeland. Don''t tell us it is because the US won''t let you...balderdash...I suspect its because you all like to harp and complain from the safety of our shores, and it doesn''t require any more than lip service from you and your peers.

A man once said....If you are not part of the solution, you are a part of the problem. So the bottom line is this: Your continual whining and protestations are as much of the problem as Castro himself since you are doing nothing to solve the problem.

I cannot help but wonder why, if the Cuban people are so fed up with Castro...why they have''t done something about him and his government? It isn''t necessary to answer since the answer itself is very evident.

I wish you no ill will and am not trying to start an argument, just trying to make a simple point. Have a good life!
Old 11-24-2000

New Cuba book

I feel really sorry for blind follower of a dictator like you, who only know about my homeland what Castro have to say. I grew up in Cuba, to the age of 24, When I got fed up of being a personal Security Guard of a member of the Central Comunist Party I went to Holland, then and only then I was able to look at Cuba and the regimen the way it really is. There is nothing in it for the Cuban People but to face the scuadron of death and more than 20.000 people already got murder just to fight for their freedom, but that you would never read in the Cuban Comunist Party news paper , and there is every thing for the top Ranking Cuban Officials and their families.
There are freedom Fighters in side Cuba, they are getting silent kill or jailed by the Cuban Goberment every single day for the last 40 Years, there are more than 10.000 waiting for sentence as we speak for political reasons. Castro will never show those numbers to the press national or International, but we are Cubans, we speak spanish, we have families in there, and they are the real Heroes at survival in this silent but Big fight to free Cuba. from Castro and his USA underground asociates
Old 11-24-2000

RobHoman is on a distinguished road
New Cuba book

Marazul, the saddest thing is that you make presumptions about people. There are far more information sources about what goes on in Cuba....and as young as you are, you are a new kid on the block. I have a Cuban friend in Miami whose father was one of the security men for Batista, and the stories that have come from his father about what he went through before escaping Cuba make one''s skin crawl. I met Cuban kids who came to my school off of the very first freedom flights back in the early 60''s, who told us of the things they went through....so your song and dance is about 30 years late.

Your cheap attempt to insult me is wasted... you should find better things to do with your time. I have never been a supporter of Castro or any communist. In fact in the 60''s I voluntarily spent 2 and 1/2 years in Viet Nam fighting communists.... If your message can''t be conveyed without attempts at insults, then be advised that you have already lost the battle. BS attempts at insulting strangers and bogus machismo turn people off and cancel what you have to say.

What you and others who are like minded don''t seem to understand is that if you can''t end the situation with a counter-revolution it is in your best interest to work to get the US to drop all restrictions, embargoes, and economic sanctions. The current policies of the US government regarding Castro have failed for the past 40 years...that is obvious. If they haven''t worked, change them. And in changing them the way that many people want now all that will happen is that the Cuban people as a whole will benefit. If enough Cuban people get a taste of the Good Life in Cuba, then mort of them will motivated to make social and governmental changes in Cuba, then fewer of them will risk there lives in the ocean.

I think what you fail to understand is that sailors and others who go to Cuba are not supporting Castro or communism. Do you post these same things on German, Swiss, French, Canadian and Italian sites? They come and go freely in and out of Cuba, and they invest millions there. Are you as angry and vociferous with them? Or just Americans? Is it that you think America is obligated to solve the Castro problem? I think not. That is a problem for the Cuban people to solve. The Cuban community in south Florida has an awful lot of money...but apparently can''t be bothered with taking care of business. Thats their failure.

As far as sailors and others going to Cuba, I don''t see it as a problem. Change takes a long time...and if each and every one of these people who visits meets Cubans and comes to know and maybe influence them, then maybe even more will change. Cubans in Miami send millions of $$$$ annually to family members in Cuba....supporting the Cuban economy......what is the difference if a sailor or someone else goes down there and spends a couple of dollars? Europeans do it big time...and so? Or is that now that you have bailed out of your cushy job and are on the outside....you don''t have a problem wanting others to support your misguided agenda which would cause additional hardship for your people in the misguided belief that your idea will bring about Castro''s demise. Your ideas have failed for 40 years...what makes you think the same tired ideas will work now?

Have a nice life!!
Old 11-24-2000

DisSalesEnginee is on a distinguished road
New Cuba book

Those of us in Clearwater are very much interested in your book. We have an annual race from here to Havanna each year except for this one, because of the politics involved in Miami over Iliana and his father.
Your book was reviewed favorably in the recent news magazine from Boat U.S. and I am looking forward to getting a copy. There is no need for you to defend the politics in Cuba. That''s the job of editorialists and political writers. My own opinion is is that the U.S. is the one who is missing out on an opportunity. The Europeans and Canadians are already there, investing and taking advantage of the climate. A friend sailed to the marina Hemingway on one of the races and found a group of U.S. "engineers" there working supposedly on the old U.S. embassy in Havanna. If people are blind enough to believe that Americans aren''t going to Cuba, I''ve got a beautiful West Wight Potter 15 I''ll sell them for $250,000 (US). I hope to read you soon.
John Crawford
Old 11-24-2000

New Cuba book

Those of us in Clearwater are very much interested in your book. We have an annual race from here to Havanna each year except for this one, because of the politics involved in Miami over Iliana and his father.
Your book was reviewed favorably in the recent news magazine from Boat U.S. and I am looking forward to getting a copy. There is no need for you to defend the politics in Cuba. That''s the job of editorialists and political writers. My own opinion is is that the U.S. is the one who is missing out on an opportunity. The Europeans and Canadians are already there, investing and taking advantage of the climate. A friend sailed to the marina Hemingway on one of the races and found a group of U.S. "engineers" there working supposedly on the old U.S. embassy in Havanna. If people are blind enough to believe that Americans aren''t going to Cuba, I''ve got a beautiful West Wight Potter 15 I''ll sell them for $250,000 (US). I hope to read you soon.
John Crawford
Old 11-24-2000

New Cuba book

John Crawford
Old 11-24-2000

DaveSchaefer is on a distinguished road
New Cuba book

Cuba inspires many passionate opinions and for good reason. Few of Castro''s revolutionaries had any idea of the direction in which things were going. Of about 20 Castro ministers in 1959, 16 were gone within 18 months. Many had visions of the republic envisioned by Marti. In Cuba, right and wrong seem to blur into wrong and more wrong. Wonderful people, dreadful government. Hope you enjoy the book.
Old 11-26-2000

New Cuba book

I do not have anything against Americans, my kids are Americans, I do not have any intencion to ofend any Sailor, or any one who wants to know about the truth living of the Cuban People, I do not support any Capital investment in Cuba, even if it comes from The Papa himself, and there is a very powerful reason, the only one who pick on those benefits is Castro, Who later turn those profits arounds in military Arsenals to spreads to south America Rebellious. let me explain my self better, When I was part of the Cuban special forces, I train myself many members of todays Colombia''s Cumunist Party in guerrilas Tactics fight, the same with Peruvians, Venezuelans, Granadians, Bolivians, and the lates, Angolians and Etopians in Africa. We were train to kill without mercy, and we were train that the best American soldier is a dead one. If for any reason I would it have any thing against Americans the only thing I was supose to do was stay in Cuba, and keep training guerrilas and Drugs Lords against Americans and the list of democratics Countries Above, belive it or not I am also defending You and your democracy in our fight against Castro in Cuba, and we do not want USA to support or solve our politicals problems, but we don''t want USA to keep sending us to Jail every time we have something big going against Castro. I know is very dificult to understand our principles, for people who has never live under a military Dictator Comuni8st Regimen. No matter how many dollars you put in Castro''s Pockets I know for a fact my Cuban people will never benefit from it, but the Americans with their good will of helping the Cubans in the Island are making a big mistake. I am very sorry, if I hurt any personals feelings please excuse me. I was train to be the best there is by Castro''s own forces, and I am turn Against him my owne Comunist Leader. I am not easy, Iam very rough aganist my enemy and that is not You or any American.

I will have a good live again, the day a die in combat to free Cuba,
I also Promess will not reply again, here in this wonderful Sailing Place