Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Rzulick is on a distinguished road
Full keel or larger boat???

I have owned a Catalina 27 since 1985. It really has been a great and economical boat.
My wife has become more prone to seasickness and has grown tired of the excessive rocking and rolling even at our mooring on busy or windy days.
I'm interested in moving up to a larger boat but do a fair amount if singlehanded sailing.
I have been looking at full keel boats ( for stability and blue water capability) and like a Cape Dory 31 cutter rigged boat. I know that full keel boats are sluggish but want a boat my wife will feel more comfortable on.
Would I be better off simply looking at larger boats like a pearson 36?
Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: Full keel or larger boat???

CD31 is a rather narrow boat so it still rocks quite a bit. But it is a great boat for what you want to do. Have you looked at the Island Packet boats? People love them for comfort and safety. IP31 is an awesome boat.
Rzulick likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to krisscross For This Useful Post:
Rzulick (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

A couple quick thoughts here:
People who are prone to motion sickness fall in one of three categories:1. People who get sick from quick motion, 2. People who get sick from wide ranges of motion, and 3. people who get sick from both forms of motion.

-The Catalina 27 has a particularly 'corky' motion which means it tends to move pretty quickly. Its understandable that your wife would suffer motion sickness on a Catalina 27.
-Full keels have less than zero to do with motion comfort. While some full keel boats have hull forms and weight distributions that result in a slower roll speed, those boats generally tend to roll through bigger angles. For a seasickness prone person in the second or third category, they are more likely to get seasick on one of these boats rather than less.
-A boat that is too wide or too narrow will have uncomfortable motions but different kinds and for different reasons. The Cape Dory 31 falls in the too narrow category.
- As a very broad generality, within reason, the longer the boat for its weight, the more comfortable it is likely to be for all three categories.
- Take Island Packets off your list since they have a really poor motion in a chop.
-There are a lot of things that can be done for seasickness. When an adult becomes more prone to seasickness it often involves sinus issues. Getting lots of sleep and avoiding alcohol can also help with seasickness. Ginger ale can help for some folks. My wife takes Stugeron which is a comparatively inexpensive miracle drug for her. Unfortunately, its not sold in the US so she has to order it online from Australia or New Zealand.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
Rzulick (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Rzulick is on a distinguished road

How do you think the 1985 Pearson 36 would rate in the motion department?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think that that's a pretty brawny, big boat with a great interior and you'll be rather astounded at the improvement in 'solidness' you'll feel over the old C 27. Similarly a Catalina 36 would keep you 'in the family' and be another great choice for what you're contemplating (unless, of course, the 'blue water' part of your plans was for real...)

It's funny.. as we 'upgraded' during the first part of our boating life, each successive boat's keel/ballast alone equaled or exceeded the previous boat's total displacement. The difference in motion/momentum was initially astonishing.
Jeff_H and Rzulick like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
Rzulick (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I sail a 33 Morgan Out Island, 13-foot beam, full keel, sloop rig. It sails like a dream, doesn't heel more than 10 to 15 degrees with 20 knot winds on a beam reach, won't point real tight like the C27, but it will sail just as fast or faster most of the time ( I owned both.)

The one thing that most full keeled boats do not do very well is back up. We all suffer from the same problem with this V/S the fin keel setup on the C26 and C30, both of which back up like you're parking a car.

At anchor, the boat rarely rolls, and is always very stable. My daughter is the kind of person that has always been prone to motion sickness. She cannot even ride in the back seat of a car because she gets motion sickness. On my Morgan, she never even feels queezy in rough weather. It's a totally different ride with a full keeled boat.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 3 Weeks Ago
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

What you really want to look at is the comfort ratio for the boats you are looking at

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Tenoch is on a distinguished road

I think you'll find either will be more stable. I moved up 4 feet, and added a cut-away full keel and you can definitely tell the difference. Just stepping on the boat from the dock feels more stable. They are currently docked side by side, and when I feel the boat Im on (the full keeler) rocking in a wake, I look out side and the smaller fin keeler is bouncing all over the place!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
What you really want to look at is the comfort ratio for the boats you are looking at
With all due respect, what you do not want to do is look at the Comfort Ratio, since the comfort ratio has almost none of the factors which actually impact the motion comfort of the boat. As Brewer himself said, he developed the CR as a tongue in cheek exercise. The CR provides no useful information and frankly is very misleading in its results.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenoch View Post
I think you'll find either will be more stable. I moved up 4 feet, and added a cut-away full keel and you can definitely tell the difference. Just stepping on the boat from the dock feels more stable. They are currently docked side by side, and when I feel the boat Im on (the full keeler) rocking in a wake, I look out side and the smaller fin keeler is bouncing all over the place!
The extra stability and motion comfort you describe has everything to do with the extra waterline length, displacement and the hull form of the bigger boat and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the boat has a full keel.

Jeff
Faster and paikea like this.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.