Need advice on choosing a Boat - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-24-2014 Thread Starter

Need advice on choosing a Boat

Hey all, So I am currently in the process of looking for a boat and well its no easy task. My first thought was to get a small weekender 20-25 foot to further my experience sailing before I move up to the big leagues of a liveaboard. After doing some craigslist surfing and finding anything local that is going to cost me 3k-8k for a decent boat. My next thought was to get something a little older 10k-15k that I could spend some time working on and sailing to eventually become my liveaboard boat (fearful of fixing something up because I know it can dig huge holes in your pockets). My final thought after doing some more shopping is to go with a 25k-40k boat(really like the 2000 hunter 290) that I can jump into living on and sailing. Yes at that price I would have to finance but I can live with it and I know living aboard I can get that paid off in a couple years. Need some advice on what stage to go with, what do you think? what experiences can you share that might lead me to make the best decision. Ive always herd bigger is better to an extent, manageable by just me. Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
EJ
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-24-2014
just ducky

Re: Need advice on choosing a Boat

My thoughts are that buying a smaller boat with a planned update is just throwing money away. BTW - a 29' boat is still just a small boat/

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don0190 For This Useful Post:
ericjackson227 (11-24-2014)
post #3 of 20 Old 11-24-2014 Thread Starter

Don, Thanks for the advice I agree with you. a 29 may seem small but its all I need since its just me on the boat and the price on them is manageable.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-24-2014
4ksb expert.

Only 1 boat for you... a Mac 26x... don't blame me I'm just the messenger.

"Rum Line" a 1982, S2 7.9 - Production boat limit tester, blue-water bucket owner, with wine taste on a beer budget.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHNOOL For This Useful Post:
post #5 of 20 Old 11-24-2014 Thread Starter

Shnool, Appreciate the feedback but I personally don't like the design of that boat nor do I need an outboard motor like most are equipt with.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-24-2014
Call me Ishmael

There are so many things that make price and length less than the ideal criteria for evaluation (not to sound like SD :-) ) Can you tell us where you sail and what (besides living on the boat) you'd like to do with her? Maybe you'll get some better suggestions.
-M

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
The Following User Says Thank You to blowinstink For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 20 Old 11-24-2014 Thread Starter

Blowinstink, over the next 2 years I will be sailing around the east coast of Florida and the upper bahamas. I have a 3-5 yr plan to set sail for a circumnavigation pending funds. Looking for something that's worthy for a solo sailor that's not going to cost me my soul.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-24-2014

I was in a similar situation last year, going back and forth between those 3 options. I had it narrowed down to a Typhoon Sr. or Quickstep 24 on the small end, a 1988 28' Freedom sloop in the middle and a 2001 Hunter 310 on the upper end. We ended up going for the middle option as we could pay cash and still maintain the ongoing operating costs. We have been quite happy, the smaller boats really would have been a challenge to overnight comfortably and the stress of the higher cost of the Hunter wouldn't have been worth it for us. Best of luck in finding a boat that works for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to seawolf82 For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 20 Old 11-24-2014

Get a real good one.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-24-2014
Call me Ishmael

Sounds like fun Eric! I wonder whether you can't accomplish that in a boat in the middle range without too much "upgrading". Is it just you living aboard? I was happy as hell on a 33'er (very small for a 33'er) in FL and the Abacos for a couple months. Seems to me there are plenty of boats from CD 27's & 28's for 10-12K to Catalina 30's for 10-15K that would fit the bill nicely if you are willing to go with a well maintained older boat. Some of it is how much "creature comfort" and "modern styling" you want / need . . . from the frosty NE, I can tell you that stuff seems pretty secondary at the moment!

Come not here if you have already spent the best of yourself
The Following User Says Thank You to blowinstink For This Useful Post:

Tags
advice needed , buying a boat , buying my first boat , liveaboard , what boat to buy

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.