Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006

sailingmoby is on a distinguished road
We sold our house and bought a boat last year. Have been living on it since then whilst getting it together and sorting out our cruising budget.
I'm 32 - husband is 38 (so not under 30, but we think we are young). We are not in an ideal position of having loads of cash behind us, but think life is for living and so will set sail in May. We are based in the UK so plan to cruise down to the med for a couple of years before heading across the pond. If we can't make ends meet we may have to leave the boat for a few months each year and return to the UK for work etc but have enough for the 1st 18months. Truthfully I think that most people are generally too sensible to set off until they have their lives sorted - kids grown up, house paid for etc, hence it is possibly slightly easier to do when you are older. Good on them, thats what makes the world go round.
We plan to cruise for a while and then when/if we have had enough, set ourselves up for our dotage by starting a business or something - we should still be young enough.

20 years from now you will only regret the things you haven't done
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-16-2006

ceberon is on a distinguished road
Retiring early?

I'd say that people here (especially the young crowd) would be interested in the retire early home page:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

It has some nice message boards there as well where you can discuss finances, etc. The important point is that you could theoretically become financially independent early enough to have a long time sailing, especially if you're careful with your spending.

My wife and I have been somewhat careful with our spending, and are hoping (if things go well) to retire around age 40, and hopefully a boat will be involved
Old 12-03-2006

keck314 is on a distinguished road
Yay for finding other people who aren't my parents' age!

I just turned 25 two weeks ago, and am in the process of building my kitty. Hope to set sail before I turn 30, if I can.

While I find the idea of a "club" rather exclusionary, I think the idea of us getting acquainted with each other around here is a good one. You never know when those older "establishment types" are gonna come knocking around.

You know the kind...the ones who actually have conscious memories of the Reagan administration

/I kid, I kid
//Yes, I remember those years
///...but just barely :P
Old 12-04-2006

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Funny, one of the first things I noticed around the marinas was the average older age of folks. But don't be fooled by age, baby boommers are about the fittest generation to ever come along. I am 50+ and only got my first boat 4 years ago (except for the 15' catamaran I had in my 20's) and like others my age there were just too many other things taking priority when we were younger. Another factor influencing the later in life purchase is that it is right about this time that we start to inherit our parents wealth to add to our own. Baby boommers hold the largest portion of the nations wealth so they are naturally the ones with the big boys toys. Still many of us are just big kids, we may look older but underneath we are not old, we are as young as we feel and I get on just fine with folks half my age and never exclude them from conversation. It is time, money & committments that put off the cruising life but as long as one stays fit you don't have to be young. I tend to learn from others and find that even the younger sailors have something to learn from especially concerning hi-tech stuff, they seem to have a better understanding of it than older folks. I wish I could have done extensive cruising when I was younger like you but I didn't and I don't regret it, I just had to wait a bit. Who knows what the future holds.
Old 12-04-2006

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
I am glad to see this thread. I am on the cusp at 30, but still seem to be one of the younger generation pursuing this dream. I think that this may be a growing contingent of the sailing community and may be a big reflection on the differing viewpoints the younger generation has than the boomers.

Specifically, we kids are waiting longer to marry, have kids, and no one is dilusional enough to think that our companies are going to look out for us. Urban commnities are not as tight nit as they used to be and families tend to be more scattered. I think all of the above has allowed some us to begin questioning earlier what it is we really want out of life. The younger generation seems to be more willing to buck the status que and go a different way. Personally, I am excited to see it and meet others who are choosing this path earlier. With the advent of groups like ASA and BoatUS sailing isn't the exclusive "old boys club" it used to be. Now if we can just save up the moula flipping burgers to afford that Raymarine ST 60 instrument pack we'll see you in Tahiti!
Old 12-04-2006

snider is on a distinguished road
Smile Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWinters
Specifically, we kids are waiting longer to marry, have kids, and no one is dilusional enough to think that our companies are going to look out for us. Urban commnities are not as tight nit as they used to be and families tend to be more scattered. I think all of the above has allowed some us to begin questioning earlier what it is we really want out of life. The younger generation seems to be more willing to buck the status que and go a different way.
I think this is spot on! It's pretty much my case anyway. Whoever came up with the Mon-Fri 9-5 idea anyway, three weeks vac if you're lucky! That's not my idea of living! Heck, I can't touch my 401k until 69 1/2! What a racket. I'm 26 and in the last year of a five year plan WOOHOO. I can almost taste it. Also I've been lurking around here for a while and want to thank everyone for the great environment and wealth of info here.

CD you did no wrong. Very tactful and you made me proud! There is a time to speak up.

This is an older thread, I wonder if the OP is still on schedule, if I'm not mistaken the " next season" is hear. Snider
Old 12-04-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Snider...Good luck to ya! The fact that you made a five year plan at your age and stuck to it bodes VERY WELL for your success! What are you going on and where to? Duration?

As to the OP...Newport hasn't posted since August...another "dream deferred?"
Old 12-04-2006

snider is on a distinguished road
Smile Liveaboard

[QUOTE=camaraderie]Snider...Good luck to ya! The fact that you made a five year plan at your age and stuck to it bodes VERY WELL for your success! What are you going on and where to? Duration?QUOTE]

Well, I didn't plan on it taking five years, that's just how long it has taken to leave my previous career and go back to school for one that would allow me to travel and have the autonomy to cruise while working. I knew there was very little chance of buying a very inexpensive boat and just going, hoping to find work and pay for the cruise. So I went to school for nursing, where I can take travel assignments for three month contracts with housing paid for, tax free. I'll live on the boat and use the housing stipend plus my hourly wage to triple up on the boat payment and pay it off in three or so years. I figure take three travel assignments a year, leaving three or so months to just cruise, and either work my way from the east coast to California and work there untill the boat is paid for and head West to the south pacific-Australia, or stay on the east coast and sail east round the cape of good hope to Australia for work, then the south pacific and California. I've been looking at boats for about five years also and have pretty much settled on a Pacific Seacraft 34, cutter rig. I'm not married so unless I find a 1st mate in the next two years I'll prob go it alone, taking crew as needed. They are building a tallship, sail training vessel, where I live (Charleston, SC)and I I've thought of doing a four month assignment with them(down to south america), if I can get hired. My plan is flexible. Putting the condo on the market early next year and buying the boat to live on for a year while working to outfit and get the required time and experience needed to travel nurse. It works out great becuase I've been working in an ICU for the last two years and I really enjoy it also, it's great helping people. I graduate in May 07( if I can study and stop drooling over boats), I can almost taste it! I can't wait. Sorry so long, I'm just excited! Snider
Old 12-04-2006

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Snider, great story and congratulations. Awsome to see someone else around my age really going after it. Great plan as well working as the traveling nurse. Definatley a take I had not thougt of before. I've heard several stories about members of the healthcare community going cruising and using thier skills along the way. Seems like a really cool opportunity to help out some along the way. Now if I can just figure out how to keep selling software from my boat I'll be set.
Old 12-04-2006
leave blank

EscapadeCaliber40LRC is on a distinguished road
Here are the chronicles of a couple of younger whipper snappers that have pulled off a serious dash around the world. Looks like they've got a little less than one more puddle to cross...

http://www.bumfuzzle.com/Pages/Main%20Pages/Dates.html