Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
To cruise or not to cruise, in many ways isn't really a rationally arrived at decision. It's more of an emotional one, tempered to some degree or another by our own present realities. Young or old isn't really germaine to the question. Nor is how much or how little money you have. Not even what boat you have. For cruising is much more than going places in a boat. It's adopting a new lifestyle, one that most would not consider "normal". In the end, it comes down to if that's what you want to do......do it.

One thing I learned from my first little jaunt, one great day can make up for ten bad ones. It's not all sandy beaches and balmy weather. It's not always easy. But....it can be the most rewarding thing you'll ever do.

Regards,

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2006

dawndreamer is on a distinguished road
My you fellows sure are well read: Slocum, Dumas, Knox-Johnston, Chichester, Goethe, Heine, Nietzsche. While I did read Slocum last year, I must admit that much of my time has been spent doing, rather than reading about doing.

Though, now that I'm getting a tad longer in the tooth, it is probably a good time to start laying in a library to help me through the times when doing will become less easy.
Old 12-05-2006

lastconch is on a distinguished road
What's Important

Would like to share this site with ya'll http://www.macnaughtongroup.com/living.htm
It takes a long time and many miles for some to discover the truly important things in the world and life.
Capt'n Cliff
Old 12-05-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Nice posts and and a great discussion to keep going.

Jim, only have a quick moment, but watned to answer your questions a bit: 1) I was able to maintain my position, kept income. Kris (my wife) and I can work remotely, with an internet connection and a little luck. 2) Regarding the $$ and returning, let me just explain why I say be financially prepared: It can get really expensive really fast. THings happen and the boat breaks. Just tying up to a slip right now can break the bank. But I also do not think there is a magic number... if there is such a thing. In a best case scenario, you can totally live off the interest and never have to return. That is where we would like to be (who wouldn't), but not there yet. In reality, that is not going to happen for most people. And I also remember some of the happiest days of my life were when we were in school and she and I litterally would search under the sofa cushions to scrape together enough change to buy a soft serve cone from McDonalds (that is no exhaggeration, at all, no lie). That was our night out. A lucky find in the parkinglot (head's up, of course) could be the beginning of an awesome weekend. Believe me, I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth!!

The money is not going to make you happier, it is the people you meet and the places you go that do that (including finding a bit of yourself inside too). However, a nice security net sure does make it a lot more relaxing and fun.

Hope that helps. Always enjoy hearing from you Jim. YOU KNOW that you and your family will get there, and that in itself must be reassuring in itself.

You are a good poster Jim and a nice contributor. Please excuse if this was a bit rushed... I am trying to finish up a book I have been working on for 2.5 years. Maybe with a little luck and the right connections, I can get a publisher to use it as a door stop! I am always the optimist.

- Brian
Old 12-05-2006

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
I'm really enjoying this thread. It's a good one to read and reread when my head starts spinning from all the sailing and boat information I'm trying to stuff in there. There's a positive vibe that you can make it work and cruise at any age.

Nearly 20 years ago, when I was interviewed for my first "real" job out of college, I was asked what I expected to be doing in 5 years. My reply was, "Sailing around the world." Jobs and house and 2 kids later, we're on the hunt for a boat and counting down.

I have to admit that we're clearly no longer in the "cruise young" stage -- do the math. I do sometimes feel that we are planning to cruise earlier than many, since we are not planning to wait until the kids are out of the house. Middle school seems like an ideal time to get away.

I continue to appreciate your advice, Cruisingdad, even when it's not directed at me. The "good" car has 150,000+ miles and the other one is 17 years old. Hoping they last until we leave.

Last edited by WinterRiver; 12-05-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-05-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Super thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Jim, only have a quick moment, but watned to answer your questions a bit.
Hey, you answered more than a bit-- as usual you offered a detailed and complete response. I know exactly what you mean about the "good old days" when money was extremely thin but life incredibly enjoyable. My wife and I started in one bedroom flat over a bicycle shop, with me making $500 a month as a writer, and we rode our bikes more than we drove our car. Top Ramen, day-old bagels, and marked-down meats were the staples of our diet. They were great days, but almost 20 years have passed.

The part of your answer that was most important to me is that you continued to have work (at least some) over the Internet as you cruised. With some planning and prep, I think that could be an interesting avenue, and I'm happy to hear it worked for you. The most recent Goodlander article in Cruising World this month notes that his ongoing work operates on a similar basis.

Good luck on your book, and don't worry about writing for us too much or too often. I'd be happy to see an article or even a letter from you in Latitude 38 or Lats and Atts, if you haven't done so already.

Jim H
Old 12-06-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Hey Jim & all,

I appreciate the kind comments.

Actually, the book I am writing (and have been for a little over 2 1/2 years) is a children's book about Santa Clause! St. Nicholas was actually one of the patron saints of the sea for mariners... thus, the book has a very strong nautical theme (no surprise from me, huh?). A lot of twists and things I have tried to bring together that bridges the gap between our perception of Santa Clause and other cultures; a happy ending, feel-good book. If you cannot guess, finding a commonality is a theme I try to relate.

I have been writing since I was 15, but have NEVER attempted to get something published. I have written several books and short stories. My wife finally got frustrated with me for not attempting to publish, so she sent a copy of one of the Chronicles of Cruising I wrote on Sailnet to Latt & Att yesterday ( I have actually written many more that have not been posted on Sailnet). I told her that she should have sent it to the cheap paperback novels that end up as packing material instead, but I got some comment about, "Shut up and mind your own business." We will see what happens - but I have no doubt that they get soooo many articles from great writers that it is unlikely. No problem. I write because I enjoy it and have fun at it. I enjoy moving and motivating people and making them feel a little better (at least, I hope... Waverider might comment to the contrary!).

So, if any of you want to throw in a good word for me at Latt & Att, it would be appreciated! Who knows what will happen? But, with the right attitude and the right intentions, anything can be accomplished.

Take care. Please excuse me if you don't hear too much from me as I try and finish everything up on this end. I will check in/out periodically.

Thanks.

- Brian
Old 12-06-2006

sea_strutter is on a distinguished road
Between too soon and too late

I think that there is some difference between cruising after (Long-term) vs. cruising during/before (a year or two long cruise)your peak earning period that needs to be addressed. Being younger makes it easier to pick up and push off for a year or two. If it don't work then I can always come back home, albiet tail between legs, get a job maybe making a little less than before, have to get another apartment, etc. Point is, at this point in life, things are more flexible. It's very popular for kids out of highschool or uni to take a year to travel - I've had lots of friends who took off to backpack through Vietnam, Europe, Africa. Why not take a boat with you instead of a backpack? Why not spend $5-10k on a little pocket cruiser instead of spending the same on fleabag hotels/hostels in a year? Sure, you may not make it to Europe, but the carribean can and has been done in boats that cost WAY less than 10k. And at the end of the trip, you've got a boat that can be sold off to finance getting re-established. This may sound like I'm "pushing" the short-term cruising idea on people, but really I'm just trying to sell myself on it, and if I bring anyone else along for the ride then that's good too.
Who else has the same idea of short-term cruise and what are your thoughts? For those of you who where in that spot at one point or another and did or didn't go, care to lend us whippersnappers any words of wisdom?

Cheers.
Old 12-06-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sea Strutter...You make excellent points. Even if you can't go "globe-trotting" on a small boat you can go lots of places most people don't and enjoy life a bit before "settling down". If you can live in a camper type R/V without complaint for a year or so...a boat is not much different!
I think it is easy to go cruising when you are quite young or ready to retire. It is much harder when you have a good career, kids, house, parents to take care of etc. ... so if you don't want to wait another 30 years or so and the idea sounds appealing...go before life ties you down. Just remember that it will be that much harder to work and settle down once you return!
You'll be miserable till you're 60!!
Old 12-07-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Hey sea strutter!
You've got it just right. My first ship carried twelve passengers as well as cargo and they were all too old to enjoy fully where we were going. If you are only going to be in Singapore for two days you have to view sleep as optional! The ABs on board said, "they're studying for finals" an illustration I'm sure someone of your age can appreciate.
When I was in the Med. I'd run in to a lot of young people just out of college doing the hostel thing with a backpack and a Eurorail pass. Made perfect sense to me. They had the energy to see and do anything and weren't too particular about their accomodations or dining places. And they can spend the rest of their life talking about what they have seen and done, instead of what they want to see or do when.....
We used to have a saying on the ships, "what are they gonna do, send me to sea?" and it expressed perfectly that what's the worst that could happen attitude. We try, futilely, to plan our lives out to the enth degree and it never works out exactly as planned, and then, as my friend Cam states, reality intrudes and our options seem to close down.
And who knows, you could end up some place you like and go "native". Some people get set on being a "suit" only to discover that what they were really programmed for was flip-flops and baggies. Either way you'll recognize them; they're the ones with the grins on their faces.
The "grind" and "normal" life will still be here when you get back and you can jump back in any time. Down the road, a year or two seems like no time at all. For a lot, or maybe most, people life is like the Hotel California, "you can check in, but you'll never check out." Go for it.
I was lucky, they paid me to go to sea. And now my wife's dreams consist of all the places I've been.