Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006

keck314 is on a distinguished road
The "grind" and "normal" life will still be here when you get back and you can jump back in any time.

That's what I need to hear.

I'm 25, no kids, finishing up a master's degree, and I'm not enjoying the idea of sitting at a desk for another 35-plus years working my butt off for three weeks of vacation a year if I'm lucky. For me, I feel like it's now or...well...a LONG time from now.

I just wish I'd been bitten by the cruising bug a few years earlier, so I'd have more saved up. Optimistically, if my GF and I both save a LOT, we might be ready to go in three years. Assuming a four year maximum cruise length, then I'd be 32.

Now I know I'll catch hell for this, but to me that seems OLD. Just a few years ago, it feels like, I was 18. I'm having a hard time realizing that I now round my age UP instead of down. The "conventional" part of my brain says that I should be settling down soon, and that 32 is just too late to get started on a career. Luckily I have you guys and my parents (children of the '60s that they were), who are more than happy to disabuse me of this notion at every opportunity; my mom switched tracks and became a lawyer at 40. So I know it can be done.

I guess I just need to hear it from someone else occasionally. Listening to oneself can be hard, and the voice is often contradictory.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2006

mandovai is on a distinguished road
I went cruising the world at 30. I am now 40 and I am still cruising the world.
I couldn't have made a better choice except that even in my case I am convinced that I could have started at 20! What I think is that when you plan a cruise of three or four years, be aware of the fact that for many of us, going back home and restart a normal life is really not desirable. If you travel the world with curiosity and interest towards other countries and their people and not only traveling from a marina to another marina together with folks of your own country, you will find unbearable the way of living and the way of thinking of those who never traveled outside of their country. Those who think they know the world because they watch tv.
Go now and meet the people of other countries. If you are smart you can live on 300-400 usd a month and will manage to earn that on your new life, mostly working on the boats of retired people...
Old 12-07-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by keck314
.....and that 32 is just too late to get started on a career.
I didn't start the job I retired from till I was 34. I did retire 3 years early, but did retire with what bennies were available. As mandovai says though, you may find you don't want to go back. So if's it what you really want to do, do it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
I haven't looked in on this thread for quite a while. I'm enjoying reading everyones posts. I spend so much time reading about technical things that I think I forget why I decided to do this in the first place. Maybe I was looking for some validation when I started this thread. It isn't an easy choice to make at 24. Especially when you can't get most 24 year olds to do much of anything outside starting a career or finishing a degree. Going against the flow is never easy. The biggest issue I have from reading this thread is, how difficult is it going to be to come back? I'm kind of hoping that someday, when I've been at sea for a few years, I'll just decide I've had enough. Maybe that will never happen. Well, what if I don't come back? Moitessier spent most of his life at sea and I envy his freedom. I think people are afraid of doing something different from the usual program. But if we stop and consider this I believe most of us would agree that people that do something different often live very full and interesting lives. Maybe once I've done that I'll start writing too. As it stands now, I feel I'm doing the right thing at the right time. Coming back in your late 20's is not to late to get going. If I'm going to expand my horizons I thing it's best to do it now so I can get the most benifit from my experiences. If I discover the meaning of live at 60 I'll wish I figured it out at 25. And, as it is said above, it doesn't work out who cares. Coming home broke at 26 doesn't seem like a problem. Most 26 year olds are broke anyway. I have no debts so as long as I don't die I figure I'm bound to come out ahead. I am blessed to live in an age where the world is both big enough and small enough to explore.
Old 12-10-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport41
Coming home broke at 26 doesn't seem like a problem. Most 26 year olds are broke anyway.
I think you're right. There was a Cruising World article a few months ago about young cruisers, and maybe more than half of the twenty-somethings were enjoying primo cruising rounds on OPBs (other people's boats). If my own son wants to follow in your footsteps in his twenties, even after sailing with us, I might suggest that he selectively crew for others for awhile before buying his own boat. At the least, experience would be gained. At the best, funds and experience would be gained. Meager funds might go a lot further.

Fair winds!

Jim H

Last edited by Jim H; 12-10-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
This is true Jim. That's a route I considered for a long time. For me, it's about relying on myself and going where I want to go. But having talked with people who have crewed on OPB I know they don't regret it. My boat's paid off now but had I gone the crewing route I would have been sailing three years ago.
Old 12-10-2006

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the thread, Newport.

Your comments remind me of two web sites I've been enjoying.

The first site is done by the Hacking Family, which is dense and richly detailed about their current and past cruising experiences. The "Pre-history" section tells about their original crewing and delivery experience, and about the purchase of their first tri:

http://www.hackingfamily.com/Jon/Pre...ry_stories.htm

The second site your comments remind me of (about relying on oneself) is done by a Norwegian couple in their thirties who are circumnavigating on a Contessa 26. You should see their latest travel entry about crossing the Atlantic. It's an honest (and haunting) account of the trip, and relying on themselves:

http://www.freewebs.com/sybika-eng/travelarticles.htm

I wish you the best with your plans.

Jim H
Old 12-11-2006
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Newport,
Don't worry too much about the future. You'll quit going to sea when you're ready. It could be two weeks after casting off or never. One of the good things about being older is realizing what is truly not do-able and what is merely unconventional. I think you've got that down. You're not leaving a wife and three kids on the dock with $2500 to tide them over! The one thing that you can never reclaim is your youth and theopportunities it holds.
I quit going to sea, as a profession, when I woke up one day and felt it just wasn't the same and I wanted something different. Some of my classmates did that after one year, I did it after 20 years, and some of them are still out there.
Do not worry about the future, beyond say six months, as none of us know what will be. The only thing we can do is take what, for us, seems to be the correct path at the time. Most of us, at 25 years of age, had plans and ideas of where we'd be at 50. Most of us are not where we thought we'd be. I don't mean that in either a good, or bad sense, only in a sense that we are all amazed at the twists and turns our lives have taken. Things that meant everything to us 20 years ago now mean little and the things we thought little of are now the most important things in our lives. None of us are Nostradamus, and able to see the future, and all we can do is what feels right now.
Even at 50 years of age I find that most of what inhibits me is actually b.s. I can sell my house and move, I can change careers, I can do just about anything I want if my imagination is big enough and I want it. My only constaints are a wonderful wife (irrepaceable, given my personality) and 4 years of help with college expenses. Everything else is negotiable. And, you know what? The more I remember that the happier I am, because I'm not going to stay one day longer in a situation that does not fulfill my dreams. I wished someone had told me that it is ok to be frivolous and deal with "life" later when I was your age. Do you know what makes God laugh? People making plans. Think about that one. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2006

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
That's very inspiring Sailaway, thanks...

Found a blog about a couple of young guys who embrace the philosophy of "just go" better than anyone else I have ever seen. In brief, these two twenty-somethings with very minimal sailing experience take a 25' club racer down the ICW, to the bahamas and Cuba, without charts for a good part of the way, and on a tight budget. The lifestyle they live is not for everyone, but it is really a story that makes you think "If they did it, in that boat, with that budget, I can do it!" These guys say it was the best time of their lives.

http://www.sailaway.us/

And for anyone interested I'm also adding a link to my page that I'm just getting started. Check back after a few months to see the preparations being completed! http://seastrutter.googlepages.com/home
Old 12-11-2006
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Go now. Don't wait to build your kitty for another 3 years, especialy if you have a gf that is game to join you. In 3 years she may not be as interested, you may have kids, or the two of you may have gone your seperate ways. I think the reason so many of us don't end up cruising until later in life is that there is alway a hang-up. As soon as I build-up up $xxx,xxx, or as soon as I finish xxxx. Its not until later in life that we realize that our tomorrow's are getting fewer and fewer, and the xxxxx just isn't as important as we thought it was. Everyone comes up with the xxxx because we are scared to change the status quo. Just don't wait until it is too late.

If you feel that cruising is what you want to do, then do, right now or you will spend a lot of years wishing you had.