Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006

keck314 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Go now. Don't wait to build your kitty for another 3 years, especialy if you have a gf that is game to join you.

Well, there is the technicality of getting a boat first...that takes SOME saving

Though she's quite open to the idea, and loves to travel (spent her junior year of college in Moscow), she's actually never been on a sailboat before, and wants to make sure she likes it before diving in all the way. Since we live quite a ways from the water right now, the general plan is to move back to the Baltimore/Washington area next year and get some experience on my Dad's 25-foot friendship sloop while continuing to save.

When the kitty and our sailing skills are a bit more mature, we would then take off...in our own boat. Dad built "Amnesty" together from planks, and I doubt he'd just let us go bouncing off in her. Besides, she's not much of a blue-water boat, from what he tells me.

In the meantime, though, I fantasize about the life by putting "Old Bay" on EVERYTHING. Yum!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006

hericsson is on a distinguished road
Chris,
My wife and I are out cruising right now, we're both under 30, as is our boat (well, the boat is over 30 years in age, but under 30 feet).
www.under30undersail.blogspot.com
Hans
Old 12-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
hans-

welcome to sailnet. I look forward to reading your blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-13-2006

redcorvette1995 is on a distinguished road
You should read the articles in Latitudes & Attitudes magazine writen by Captain Woody about his cruises. He was your age when he left and isn't that much older now. I myself am 35 so I am not ancient. I think it is easier to go when you are young or retired, because both of these points in your life are about changing comittments so it is easier to make the "leap" and leave the dock. People who are of retirement age typically have more disposable income than people at age 25 so I think that would be the main reason that people go later in life as it makes it easier to purchase and outfit a boat. People your age who do go tend to go as crew for someone else.

Also some, but not all gradually work themselves up to going by amassing experience over time. I am one of those who is comfortable diving into a project and immersing myself in it. Most prefer to work up to something over time and gain experience. By the time you gain experience, you realize that you have a wife and kids who aren't into sailing (there are of course exceptions) and the dream gets put on hold until you retire and/or divorce :-).

One thing you will find as you get older is that time moves faster.
I find that my appreciation of the passage of time is now about half of what it was in my early 20s. Time just seems to move at twice the speed, oddly I am not any more busy than I was 10 years ago, but there are more distractions/responsibilities. When you are in your early 20s or retired there is a lot less distraction or rather you are in a better position to ignore it. It gives you the chance to sit back and think about what you really want to do, plan it, and implement it. Along those lines, my one piece of advice: Make sure you go! Every month/year that you put off leaving the dock the harder it becomes to go, until you realize one day that 10 years are gone.

FYI: I am envious!
Old 12-29-2006

JustinC25 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JustinC25
Thumbs up

This is an excellent thread and contains a lot of information I've wondered about as well. I'm 24 and bought my 1982 Catalina 25 (same birth year as myself ) the first week of January this year (2006, since some may read this in a few days, 07). It has been a childhood dream that I made happen. It doesn't seem like I've been sailing her for a year already, but I have had some awesome times sailing out on the Chesapeake. I have also learned so much and it is funny to look back at my early days.

I too have always been wondering why there aren't more people of my age range into sailing. I agree it isn't exactly cheap to own a sailboat, but it doesn't have to be that expensive either. Those bar tabs that so many people my age rack up monthly can cost the same as it costs me to own my C-25. Personally, I would much rather being sailing than partying every Friday and Saturday night. I think some of us just have different priorities, but I still do enjoy going out every so often. I know I'm fortunate to be where I am today, but it took hard work, especially when I worked two jobs and went to college full time.

I am now seriously thinking about cruising full time. I have an alright job, it pays, but sitting in an office really isn't that appealing. Then factor in I only get 5 days of vacation a year?! I think there is a lot more to life and this year I have found how much I love sailing. If I cruise, I most likely will upgrade to a larger, stronger boat, but after reading about "AfterBlue Sailaway" in their blog, maybe starting out in my C-25 could work since their's was a 25 footer too. If I started my cruising in my Catalina, I would remain coastal and take the ICW down to FL. Maybe down there I would then choose to buy a larger boat for cruising offshore if I really enjoyed it. I am doing lots of reading and trying to plan things out. At the earliest I think it would be in about a year, but to buy a larger boat then it probably wouldn't be for maybe 3 years from now. I'm setting my goals now and trying to figure it out. The main problem is the financial aspect. I don't want to cruise and then have it screw over my future.

If I do cruise full time, I may end up single handling most of it. I might try to meet some others to help me crew. I have also thought about if I would be a minority being young at most cruising destinations. I want to meet other people in my age range that sail, but it's hard when you live in northern VA and the bay is 1.5 hours away. Rarely will you meet someone that sails, not to mention even being in my age range. As someone else mentioned forming a club. I've thought of maybe trying to create some kind of organization and promote sailing to the younger generations.

Well, I'm definitely enjoying reading many of the blogs/sites and these forums to learn about pursuing my sailing dreams. If anyone wants to check out my sailblog, here it is:
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/justinc25/

Happy New Year!
-Justin
Old 12-29-2006

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Justin,
I was 13 when I started cruising and made my first solo trans-Atlantic when I was 21 in 1974. I have been living on my own boats since then and still manage to sail quite a bit. My most recent trip was to Bermuda last year and in 07 I am sailing to Greenland. Over the years I have run across a lot of young people sailing and your age is not that unusual.

I think itís important to have a job you enjoy and forget about the money. I make a living in a boating related business and I have since I was a kid. You might learn to do repair work on engines and boats and earn money while sailing by working on other boats and doing some yacht deliveries.

Some of the things I do now are teaching sailing and boatbuilding to children. Our web site is www.fisheriestrust.org
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 12-29-2006

JustinC25 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JustinC25
Robert, thanks for the input. Having a job that I enjoy is something I am trying to find. I realize I'm young and can easily have a change of career. I was also thinking that cruising may help me decide what I want to do and possibly lead to career options in the sailing world. I've thought about teaching sailing, yacht deliveries, maintenance/repair work as ways I may be able make a living in the future. It would take more experience and training, but I'm sure I could do it someday. I've always been one for working on and building things, starting with all the wooden model airplanes and boats I built as a kid. That's one of the reasons I love sailing and working on my boat.

In college I wasn't sure what I wanted to get into. Originally I wanted to get into yacht design, but I wasn't sure about that being a wise decision. I ended up going the business management/information technology route that was popular and seemed to be a good choice. Now I've been in my career field for a couple years and I'm realizing that it sure would be nice to have a job that I loved, compared to just being a "job" that pays the bills.
Old 12-29-2006

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Justin,
Yacht design is a tough field to make a living in, lots of very qualified people and very few jobs. Over the years I have had the opportunity to design several boats ranging in size from 13í to 39í and itís really something to take an idea and a piece of paper and turn it into something as close to living as anything made by man.

The funny thing is that I regret not having some formal education especially in business management. I am very happy with my lot in life but I sometimes wonder what might have happened if I had a better education. When I was a kid I saw a lot of people that worked all there lives trying to make it to retirement and do things like sailing around the world. They retired and found that they were too old for things like that so I decided to sail first and get a real job later. I keep meaning to get that real job one day but I am having too much fun to stop now. However if I had it all to do over I would have taken some collage instead of setting out right after high school.

Hang in there and keep an open mind so you will be in a position to take advantage of opportunity when it comes by. I think itís better to try lots of things to find what you really enjoy instead of feeling stuck and working at one thing until you give up and die. Just make sure you can recognize a mistake when the time comes and always jump ship when itís time.
All the best,
Robert Gainer
Old 12-29-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One other thing to remember is that cruising is as much an attitude and a lifestyle as it is sailing. Something you do because it's what you want to do, not what you have to do.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-03-2007

William Bruce is on a distinguished road
I just wanted to say that Im really enjoying this thread. Im 22 and purchased my boat ( a sabre 28) almost a year ago. Im finishing up the first of 2 years of grad school so im almost broke but im still planning on sailing off for a month or 2 this May.

Its really good to see that there are some other people out there that are into sailing and my age.