Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too

I've been reading forums and articles here for months and there's something that they all have in common. Why is it that everyone talking about cruising is double my age? I understand the obvious reasons. Can't go because of kids, career, finances, ect. But tell me, is there anyone here planning on going cruising before they're retired? And those of you who are retired, and have been to the South Pacific, across the Atlantic or even just to the Caribbean, have you seen anyone out there under thirty? I'm 24. I wasn't born into money or given anything. I've managed to make it happen. I own a boat, she's well outfitted and I'm in the planning stages of leaving for the South Pacific next season. So, I've proven that if someone wants to do it while they're young, they can. Am I the only one? And another question for those seasoned cruisers. How do you think your experiences would have been different if you'd done it when you were 24? Looking forward to hearing back, you all seem like a good group of people with a lot of knowledge and even more opinions. Thanks, Chris,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, I'm not twice your age, and I'm outfitting my boat to go shortly. I'm in my late 30s. I don't think I would have done it back in my 20s, as I had a lot on my plate back then... but now is the right time, so I'm going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-02-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
There is no age limit on cruising. All that is required is the determination to do it.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-03-2006

sailorjim99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Just do it

Hi Newport.
True, most of us are 'oldies'. Most of us are baby boomers. Most of us were raised in times when things were changing fast. We had a lot on our plates then.
I had a good childhood, a little "police action" in an unpopular place in the
60s thru into the 70s and raised six kids from two marriages. Now got 13 grandkids. Most of us went thru a couple of recessions when things got tight and survived. Suddennly we are 'twice your age' and now it is our turn to kick back.
A lot of people I have met are like me and all thru our lives we have had a few adventures. I tried to do something outside of Australia every few years.
Been to a lot of countries with a pack before it was popular.

Just as the world stood still untill the industrial revolution and then boomed, so to with boats. We had to wait untill fibre-glass was invented so we could have our boats. Then, surprise, surprise, we had to wait untill they became affordable.
That made it to the 70s or 80s. Since then there has been a lot of cruising.
The crunch came when the gps was invented.(God bless it).
That mean't that people who could not work out maths while standing on a heaving deck, holding on for dear life, could go for a sail almost anywhere.
That brings us up to the late 80s and early 90s where the gps became affordable.
Now we are out there, clogging up the Pacific, Atlantic and every sea that we can reach.
I am about to start soon. Next year I am sixty.(Yep, an oldie) and I am going to cruise the Pacific from the States back to Australia. This will be my first serious boat and it will be all paid for.

I am what is called a SKIN. (Spend Kids Inheritance Now)
So you can see why some of us are a tad elderly.(Old is a BAD word)

But my advice to you ,go now. Don't wait untill you do what a lot of us did.
You can always do things when you come back.
If what you do does not hurt anyone close to you, do it.

Then, if you are lucky, you can answer a letter from someone younger who asks why most of the cruisers are ELDERLY or older than you.

Go for it matey and good luck.
Old 07-05-2006
Banned

seabreeze_97 is on a distinguished road
Recently, while talking with a patient (retired physician---had money), we were discussing boats. He'd always had powerboats, still had 4 of them, despite no longer being physically able to enjoy them. He said he never got into sailing, but quickly followed with an understanding of why I did...."It's a p****-wagon." Now, trying to maintain composure, I nearly bit my lip off to control the howling laughter. It's just not every day you get that (or expect it) from a 70-something year-old man. He's a character, to say the least.
Anyway, even if that's not your goal, understand that other people (primarily outside the sailing community) may see you that way. Good, bad, or otherwise.
I think this has been touched on somewhat, but sailing isn't cheap. The majority of sailing community has dealt with other expenses first, and only after kids, etc, do they have room for sailing, or other major marine-related expenses. There are always exceptions, but if you look at the younger crowd, they tend to be more caught up in short-term issues like clothes and cars, etc., not boats. Don't let it throw you. It just means you have that much more time to sail.

Last edited by seabreeze_97; 07-06-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2006
Lady Pirate

Pirate's Booty is on a distinguished road
Wink Part of the "younger crowd"

There is no time like the present - I have never been one for "waiting until..." I recently bought a boat and as it would be suicide to cruise it very far (it is really wobbly), I still enjoy it immensely and can't wait to get back to it everyday.

I have a lot to learn and lots of people thought I was nuts to buy and live on a boat as a younger, single women - but who needs to listen to people with no sense of adventure or imagination.

Live it up, Newport Dude!

And take me for a cruise one of these days while you are at it!!!

Pirate' s Booty
Old 10-10-2006

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
Old enough to know better, Young enough to do it anyways

Glad I found this thread... I've wondered the same thing, Newport... And unfortunatley, your questions (and mine) have not really been answered. How many people under 30 are out there doing it?

I'm planning a cruise down the East coast to Florida. One of the biggest issues I have is whether or not I'll feel "excluded" because of age (25 in a week). I love the idea of the cruising community, meeting new people, etc. but again, how many will be around my age? Maybe we should start a club!

Sonnie
Old 10-10-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
SeaStrutter...you will be excluded...we geezers need all you young whipper-snappers hard at work and paying your FICA so we can continue to cash our checks. Get back to work...you owe it to us!
Old 10-11-2006

SeaStrutter is on a distinguished road
I don't expect to be excluded - I'm an easygoing guy and get along pretty well with anyone. I'm just talking about the social environment - I don't want to sit around listening to how you walked to work uphill both ways in sleet and three-foot snow . I suppose age is not such an issue as the actual "Scene".

Sonnie

PS - At 25, I don't think I can be refered to as a "Whippersnapper" anymore. Perhaps a "Hooligan" or MAYBE a "punk-kid", if you accompany it with your fist shaking in the air.

Old 10-11-2006
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Hey Sea Strutter, when one is an old fart who ain't gonna see 50 again anyone under 40 is a bloody whippersnapper. :-)

ps - the young guns have either already buggered off to the south seas and therefore can't be bothered with this nonsense or they are hard at work paying the taxes to keep me and my ilk in social securities which is where you should be. Whip Crack.

Seriously, if you have made your bundle then get out there and enjoy yourself. You'll find plenty of people in your age group out there. Oh they may not be out there in the fanciest of plastic fantastics but they are out there nonetheless. After all, ignoring shipwreck fire famine and pestilence about the worst thing that could happen to you is that you get back in a few years time thirty and broke but with more memories than you can shake a stick at. Enjoy !

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.