SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Snow birding

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  TQA 
#1 ·
Need advice and hoping those who have been there done that chime in.
At present boat is in BVI. Wondering if for hurricane season I should
Leave boat on hard in Spanish Town or P.R.
Island hop home (R.I.) then up eastern seaboard
Straight shot home with SDR via Hampton or straight shot to Newport.
Please share plus/minus analysis of each choice.
Thanks and happy new year to all.

#2 ·
Unless you have another boat in RI, why would leaving it down south for the summer even be an option?

I've not done it, but I've known several who have made the straight shot, with Bermuda as the bail out or planned layover. Most plan to stop, unless the first leg goes very quickly and the forecast for the remainder looks too good to pass up.

Island hopping back is on my bucket list, but it would take an extraordinary amout if time.

#3 ·
Our friends who have now 'snowbirded' for a decade or more leave their boat further south in Carriacou, and many use Grenada, both being south of the standard Hurricane zone.

If you are OK with leaving the boat south, perhaps that's the better plan, plenty of time still to work your way down the chain - with some exceptional sailing and destinations along the way.

#4 ·
Thanks guys-
Grenada makes me nervous as we all know its not really hurricane free. I have no knowledge of what yards are good Carriacou. Do you have any thoughts on access to that info?
Was thinking jump to chicken harbor ( George Town). Then jump to Lauderdale. Then Norfolk. Then home. Was figuring each jump ~4d so whole trip ~16-20d. Whereas straight shot 9-12d. Was thinking maybe easier to get crew through OPO with shorter hops and easy access to airports. If done in May weather should be more benign. If get lousy crew only have to put up with them for brief time.
The straight shot is very appealing. "Get her done". Shortest time and may actually be less wear on the boat. Also then have access to Chris Parker for short money.

#5 ·
....Was figuring each jump ~4d so whole trip ~16-20d. Whereas straight shot 9-12d. ......
Straight through time sounds right. Hopping time seems optimistic. At the least, that would be single overnights, which would be unlikely. Even when coastal hopping, I find I don't want to run right back out, if the previous leg was rough. Also, if you're hopping, why not stay to enjoy the locales for a bit.

#8 · (Edited)
Doesn't Nanny Cay still have good accommodations for hurricane season on the hard?

It seems to me there are two bits: logical and emotional.

The logical bit is a cost analysis of haul and launch fees, insurance, someone to look after the boat, cost of moving the boat yourself, with others, or delivered, etc. Check for buying a spot for a haul-out in case a named storm heads for the BVI.

Consider Trinidad (I have the best ever guy to look out for you down there).

The emotional bit is where you want the boat June(ish) to November(ish) 2015.

Hopping home only makes sense if you have lots of time and particularly want to hop from island to island. You'll spend more on fuel, food, and time getting in and out of various ports and anchorages.

Straight shot is the best and fastest and most efficient way to move a boat. It is easiest to get supplemental crew. Besides, you get to be offshore for a week-and-a-half or so. What could be better than that? *grin*

The SDR has nice pre- and post-events and the value add of Chris Parker weather is quite good. Doing the SDR to Hampton and then on to Newport through the Chesapeake Bay, C&D Canal, and Delaware Bay will cost you less than two days, plus whatever time you spend in events in Hampton (a lovely town if you haven't been there before).

#9 ·
Got here with SDR and inspite of smacks opinion can't say enough good things about it. Interestingly, when you do,spreadsheets and add in all the costs the money is about the same for leaving v. straight shot home. Hopping up is most expensive but probably most fun. Been to Nanny Cay and Spanish Town. Will bop over to Tyrell. Thanks much for the info.
Been thinking about lay up. It's not like up here where you can empty the boat- fill the trunk- then just put all the stuff in your house. Wondering how much stuff will disappear in my absence. Maybe rent locked storage?

#11 ·
People's opinions are worth what they are worth.

The SDR has been an outstanding experience for many people.

If I remember correctly Nanny Cay has some pits your keel is dropped into and serious tie-downs. I may be thinking of somewhere else.

The good marinas in the Caribbean aren't a security problem. The bigger issues are mold, mildew, and rust (including of canned goods). There are locked storage options in most places. Unless A/C is guaranteed, you still have to worry about conditions that lead to mold, mildew, and rust.

Three or four weeks isn't bad. Longer can be a problem. One of the advantages of places like Nanny Cay on Tortola and Powerboats on Trinidad is that you can often sell on your stores and then replace them when you get back to your boat.

I can help you for sure in Trini, and likely in Tortola.

For myself, I'd sail straight back to Newport (first choice) or the SDR and then Newport (second choice).

#10 ·
My decision would be based on where do you want the boat to be after hurricane season. If you want to be back out in the Eastern Carib it is a hard slog down the BVI from the East coast of the USA.

So leave it out in the Eastern Carib. A yard that is at least 15 ft above sea level and with tie downs should be safe. mast down of course.

#12 ·
Yes I want to be back in warmer climes come next fall. My thinking maybe distorted by the November passage south. I've yet to experience the terrible passages people report and hopefully never will. Other than light, brief squalls in the 40kt range it was uneventful annoyance was burning 106 galleons of fuel and continual overcast. Also how hard it is and how expensive to get boat work done in caribbean enters in to it. Still conflicted but your input is greatly appreciated.

#13 ·
Dave your points are very well taken. I spec'd the boat with no exterior wood thinking less maintenance. Find chasing the stainless is never ending. Whenever plugged in the AC will go on for a few hours every day. Like you say not to escape the heat but to dry out the boat.

#14 ·
I agree with the idea that it depends on what you have in mind for next winter. If you want to have the boat in the Caribbean I would think Grenada or Trinidad. if you want the boat home then go for it. Our plan is to provision in Sint Maarten. Make short visits to Statia and Saba and then go to Bermuda and Connecticut. We will leave about the end of April.

#15 ·
Your point about getting work done is well taken. You will want someone (you or someone else) that you trust to look after things. I can speak personally and highly of Jesse James in Trinidad. If you decide to go to Trini please let me make the introductions for you.

Without pushing my own services, if you want to leave the boat in the mid Chesapeake I can look after you.

If you take it all the way home you can look out for yourself, which is attractive.

A lot depends on what boat work you have in mind.

If you'd like to talk on the phone we can schedule a time to run through things.

Mods: I won't charge Outbound for the call and won't push my services over anyone else's.

Regardless, I believe firmly in sailing your boat as much as you can. To me, that means the Chesapeake (new cruising grounds for you I believe) or your home grounds in RI. Keeping the boat moving really keeps contractors on their toes, your boat clean, and increases the chances of everything being ready when you want to push off.

#16 ·
A - what you say makes great sense. I've come home for the holidays. Although I have yacht management I'm not in the " I'll just write a check" crowd. I dread the work ( polishing, diving the bottom, re provisioning etc.) I'll have upon my return.
In many respects being on the boat and using it makes for less work. My routine has been do one major chore first thing after coffee if the boat is still or a few minor chores after anchoring/ mooring when we are moving. If you stay ahead of it it seems like much less work and I believe it really is less work.

#17 ·
If cost is a factor Trini is the place to get work done. I had mine Awlgripped there for a 1/4 of the price I was quoted up island. There are all sorts of workshops in Chaguramus and they can fix just about anything.

Lots of snowbirds keep their boats there and the big yards [ Peakes and Powerboats ] are very professional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.