Bluewater with no engine? - SailNet Community
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 119 Old 01-04-2015 Thread Starter

Bluewater with no engine?

G'day guys

I've browsed around here heaps recently, but finally took the step and signed up!

First, I have some small boat sailing experience years ago, but nothing like deepwater sailing. The reason I'm asking this is because I've come across something I can't stop thinking about...

I'm in Fiji at the moment, and chatting to a bloke in a bar the other night who happens to be selling the Columbia 34' I've been staring at for a days. kitted out, new gear, ready to go, except the engine has carked it (rusted out raw water intake).

He's happy and willing to spend a month or so with me around here teaching me everything I can learn. The issue is that I'd really need to work a bit before I can replace the engine.

My question is: Is it realistic to sail from Fiji to east coast Oz (probably via Vanuatu) with no motor? Would it be difficult, or seriously unsafe? Part of me says that people did this for many, many years, so if there's a good reason not to, please explain!

Wifi is hard to come by sometimes, but I'll check in on this soon. Cheers for the help!

-Sam
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 Old 01-04-2015
Living the dream

Re: Bluewater with no engine?

The Pardeys could do it, but with limited sailing experience it would be very risky although, come to think about it, so is that Russian guy in the South Pacific at the moment.

All in all, I'd say "no way!" but it is possible if you're bold/foolhardy/crazy enough. Also don't forget that you'll need a reliable electrical charging source to run all you comms and nav gear. I'd also make sure what's left of the boat is up for the job if funds are tight.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 119 Old 01-04-2015
islander bahama 24

A small outboard on a transom mount would be a good idea and get sailing experience until you are ready to cross to oz and to save the funds for a new raw intake is that what's wrong with the motor or is it the head or block that's rusted out?

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 119 Old 01-04-2015 Thread Starter

Cheers for the quick replies -

It has both wind and solar for power, and a 500w generator. And a VERY small (4hp) outboard for the dinghy (useless?) - I had thought of the transom mount as a stop gap.

Am more than happy to spend a few months island hopping around fiji, thought that might be a good idea to get outside storm season as well...
post #5 of 119 Old 01-04-2015

It is a rather large boat to be sailed without engine. Sure it can be done but it would take considerable skill to get it in and out of port. How many stops are you planning to make? What size crew?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #6 of 119 Old 01-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMagnet View Post
The Pardeys could do it2
The Pardeys used an oar for propulsion in some situations on their first vessel.

Lin and Larry Pardey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
post #7 of 119 Old 01-04-2015

"some small boat sailing experience years ago" doesn't sound like enough preparation for a 700 mile open ocean passage. Planning to have a crew?

A rusted seawater intake doesn't sound like much damage.

This legit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 119 Old 01-04-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

A 4 horse would do you in calm waters with a proper mount. Have moved my P35 with a 4 in a pinch.
In answer to the "can"- yes, but fairly risky with limited experience. Sailing seems to be one of those things that the more skill you acquire the more conservative you get as you are more aware of the "there but by the grace of God" experience.
Good luck!
mbianka likes this.
post #9 of 119 Old 01-04-2015
Catalina 400 MKII

Putting an outboard on that boat would be ... not to efficient. Fix the engine before you buy the boat (set up an escrow account or something like that). You'll be better off.
post #10 of 119 Old 01-04-2015

Dock

Hi Sam,
I wouldnt go near it with a barge pole.

Theres plenty of boats out there for sale that actually work. Why risk your life in some very rough waters? Not to mention a small reef or two around every land you are heading to.

How old are you? How many years could you have of joyous life, compared with tossing it away now?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.