Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2006
Sails Call

pelicanl is on a distinguished road
Question trailer sailing to Apostle Islands (Superior)

Is August still a decent time to sail to Apostle Islands for temp and good winds? Is a site available to recommend what to take on such a cruise for 4-5 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2006

ChrisAndVero is on a distinguished road
I sure hope so! We are planning (hoping) to go up for a weekend in mid-August. I have been kayaking up there in August and found the weather to be great. The wind is pretty constant, which was a bother when paddling, but should make for great sailing.

Get the NPS map of the park, that will give not only water depths and docks, but show trails on the larger islands. The water will still be _cold_ outside the shallow bays, but the air temp can get up to 90F. And for better info than my opinion, use this- http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/gtlakes.htm

Have fun!
Old 07-21-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
If I recall correctly, there's some restsrictions about sailing in that area. Might want to double check on that.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2006

Thanks for the heads up PBzeer. I called the park and asked them and the news is nothing but good! If you plan on anchoring and sleeping aboard, there are no permits and no fees. This may change for next year, but currently it is free to sail around the Apostles. There is a fire ban in effect right now- no beach fires and the ranger suggested not even smoking while ashore on the islands. You may make a fire as big as you wish on your boat though

The weather looks good for this week, my fingers are crossed for next weekend! Now to check the wiring and grease the hubs on the trailer...

What are you sailing pelicanl? We will be taking a 20' Balboa up.
Old 07-24-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Seems there's something else about garbage as well, but they should have told you that.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-26-2006

Barpilot is on a distinguished road
The Apostle Island are great if you have the boat. Winds have been pretty heavy this year. My boat and our marina were actually hit by a tornado on 6/17. Still adding up all the damage.
If you have something like a McGregor 26 you might want to reconsider. Pretty light weight rig for some of the conditions. We've sailed several days in winds in excess of 30kts. Sometimes over 40.
Best of luck
Old 07-26-2006

JRonUnderSail is on a distinguished road
As a guy that has sailed the Apostle Islands for the last 20+ years, from everything from a Tartan 33 to a MacGregor 26X, I'll tell you that August is probably the best month to sail the islands! The winds are good, the water is warm, and large storms are minimal...
I presently have a 2000 26X (sold the Catalina 30 earlier this year) that I sail out of Bayfield. I downsized to a trailerable boat, since I get bored just sailing around Lake Superior. So far I've been on Lake Michigan, plan to race in Lake of the Woods (LOWISA), and hit Houghton/Hancock in September...
I've had another (1995) 26X in heavy weather (12" rain storm) on Lake Superior: NOT A PROBLEM! With any trailerable boat, you can always beach it and tie to a tree.... Don't let anyone tell you that trailerable boats have light rigging! Take a 30 Catalina (14,000 lbs.) Now take a 3000 lb, trailer boat... Yep the rigging is lighter but so is the weight!
Use common sense, listen to the weather radio, and have fun!
Cheers,
JR on UnderSail
Old 07-27-2006
Sails Call

pelicanl is on a distinguished road
I just found an older 22' South Coast (thats OK,I hadn't heard of it either) after owning a Hobie for so many years. Too much work goes into multihull sailing so I thought I would try a mono. Thank you for sharing what you found out about sailing the Apostle Islands-- I think you mono hull people are much more helpful and willing to help a guy get started, I can't wait to get up their and get on the water. I have been trying to sail as much as I can on our little 2500 acre lake in SD, just to prepare for this trip in August to Superior. When they talk about 2-4 foot waves on forcasts for Superior, is that a "white cap" (crashing) wave or just a rolling one?? Never been on big water like Superior.....
Old 07-27-2006

JRonUnderSail is on a distinguished road
If you're planning a Apostle Island trip, you should buy a copy of Bonnie Dahl's book "Superior Way"... It gives useful information on the entire lake, but has an extensive section on the Apostle Islands. They have a nice chart that gives good places to anchor (dock) with varing wind conditions. It's available at the Outfitter's Store (near the Bayfield Post Office) or thru Amazon.com
A 3-4 day trip could include Stockton Island, Rocky or South Twin (unique spot that if the wind changes you just move to the other island, not far away.), and Raspberry Island.
There's a nice public launch (follow the signs in town) that can take nearly any boat. There's also a Ship's Store with an extensive stock of nautical items and an Ace Hardware store....
If the weather goes bad, (rain) you can always pull into Madeline Island for a night at the marina. They have a great store and nice facilities.
Remember to bring plenty of drinking water. Since it has been declared a "Wilderness", water pumps are not available. Mosquitoes are minimal this year with the dry conditions, but some islands have black flies. We were at Devils Island (nice little harbor for trailer boats) on the 14th. The light house tour was wonderful, but the black flies were nasty!
Fair winds,
JR
Old 07-27-2006

Yes, I have been watchingthe weather reports too- 2ft waves with a 5-10kt wind will not have white caps. They just roll along...

That was my experience in a 14ft kayak, which I paddled through 7ft waves in. That was not so much fun!

When are you going up there pelicanl? We hope to go next weekend, if we survive the 100 degree weekend predicted for Minneapolis this weekend.

Thanks for the tip on the book JRon, I will look for in Bayfield. BTW, what do you think of the boat ramp in Little Sand Bay? That is where I have always started kayaking and I like the proximity to Sand Island (nice bay for the first night). Our Balboa 20 has about 2-3ft draft with the keel up, could we get in and out of the ramp/bay.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.