SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Just Go!

25K views 151 replies 40 participants last post by  SV Dayenu 
#1 · (Edited)
I am currently anchored in a bay with about 100 boats in it in Grenada, ranging from seven figures (a new Amel 54) to a lot less (a Canadian Chrysler 26ish, that I would want to check carefully before sailing across Lake Ontario). This has made me think about the interminable discussion about cruising on $X dollars a month or can I take my Whatever 36 into bluewater. This applies for people on the east coast of the US and Canada and the Great Lakes. There will be variations with different starting places.

Get a boat that you can afford, make sure you have some money to do upgrades after purchase and after you start cruising and just go.
  • Go down the east coast, ICW and hop offshore when you can. Fix and upgrade boat as needed and as affordable.
  • Go to the Bahamas for the winter. Return to Florida before hurricane season. Fix and upgrade as needed. Note that this will be the last chance to fix your boat really cheaply.
  • Go to the Eastern Caribbean via the Thorny Path. You guessed it - fix the boat (St Martin and Trinidad are best).
  • Still having fun and want more adventure. Head to Panama and go through the canal. Fix and upgrade as needed.
  • Rinse and repeat this process as necessary as you head to wherever you head for.

At any point in the process you may decide - the boat isn't up to what comes next and/or I am not up to it/or it isn't really what I expected. If the former, you need to get a different boat and start the process again. If the latter, head home and either cruise locally or take up golf.

Discussing chainplates and anchors endlessly on the Internet will not get you sailing and cruising.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me start by saying I am only an armchair sailor, watched many sailing instructional videos, read innumerable sailing books and blogs, looked at more boats than I care to count. I've been a boat owner for 20 years, but power boats. I've managed to assemble a fair list of acceptable boats, from Allied, Endeavour, Pearson, Islander and on and on. Even have a short list of wants and needs. Found a few boats that I would be willing to have surveyed. I'm ready to go. Now, if I can just convince the admiral!

#3 ·
I am currently anchored in a bay with about 100 boats in it in Grenada, ranging from seven figures (a new Amel 54) to a lot less (a Canadian Chrysler 26ish, that I would want to check carefully before sailing across Lake Ontario). This has made me think about the interminable discussion about cruising on $X dollars a month or can I take my Whatever 36 into bluewater. This applies for people on the east coast of the US and Canada and the Great Lakes. There will be variations with different starting places.
I'm so jealous Bruce. Wish I was there, but we're on our way. See you down there in a few years. We have to stop off at Newfoundland first ;).

#4 · (Edited)
That is exactly what we did. Your plan is exactly the way we live. So far, we've covered 5000 miles in two years, and about to start again. Still no AP, windlass, davits, radar, AIS, SSB, EPIRB (but will add soon), or life raft. Just a boat that is fairly solid, and relatively easy for my wife and I to sail. Honestly, an AP would be nice at some point for the longer overnighters. But that's about it. Now, if we can just get farther than Georgetown next trip. I've now read Passages South, and hope to make it down the Islands.

Cost of our boat - $20K. About $7K spent making it good below the waterline. New ball valves, and a new rudder. So far, the only repairs made was a leaking fuel pump. Not bad.....

GO NOW!

Ralph

#5 ·
Excellent advice... Can't help thinking of a certain former poster here who now frequents CF who could benefit from heeding your wisdom... :))

Last time I was in Georgetown, LE GENTLEMAN was probably the smallest boat anchored in Elizabeth Harbor, even smaller than mine :)

Appeared to me, they were enjoying themselves as much as anyone else...

#6 · (Edited)
I write. Occasionally I make some money at it. When this comes up in conversation, often someone says, "Oooh, I always wanted to be a writer" and I have to hold back from responding, "No, you don't. If you did, you would be writing." I used to think cruising was like that- you are either cruising or you arent. Now, i'm not so either/or about it. Some people want to cruise, some think they want to cruise and some people are in love with the process of preparation for cruising, and don't realize it. Some realize it fully.

If you have a 5 year plan to outfit your boat for a 2 year cruise, you likely aren't going. If you are researching now for the boat you will be buying in 5 years and refitting for 2 years for your extended lifestyle of cruising, you likely aren't going. If you are ... you get the picture.

And that's okay.

For some folks the process is as important, maybe more important, than the journey or the destination. Like those who decide that they are going to build a boat to sail around the world. The majority of them aren't going to sail around the world, most won't finish the boat, most of those who do will sell it when it is done, but the proclaimed use wasn't the goal- it was just the reason required to BUILD A BOAT.

But whatever your goal- start now.

#8 ·
I write. Occasionally I make some money at it. When this comes up in conversation, often someone says, "Oooh, I always wanted to be a writer" and I have to hold back from responding, "No, you don't. If you did, you would be writing." I used to think cruising was like that- you are either cruising or you arent. Now, i'm not so either/or about it. Some people want to cruise, some think they want to cruise and some people are in love with the process of preparation for cruising, and don't realize it. Some realize it fully.

If you have a 5 year plan to outfit your boat for a 2 year cruise, you aren't going. If you are researching now for the boat you will be buying in 5 years and refitting for 2 years for your extended lifestyle of cruising, you aren't going. If you are ... you get the picture.
I disagree with this. My wife and I are on a 5 year plan. We are taking ASA classes. We have a trailer sailor that we learn/practice on. We will start chartering larger sailboats 3-4 times per year now that we have the ASA101 and ASA103 certs.

We plan to go cruising in 2020. We are saving to buy in cash and we are setting up the property management company that will keep the cruising kitty full every month.

We have a plan and will execute it.

#11 · (Edited)
I'm not sure that was for me, but yes my wife draws teacher retirement, and I get a little SS check each month. The only way to go now, full time, is to have an income, or a healthy bank account.

I have met guys with the means to go. But they are still working on the boat and adding stuff. I'm just saying that you don't really need much in the way of equipment, other than a good sized battery bank, and some solar panels. We added solar and a free wind generator, given to us by a cruising friend. We left originally with just a Honda generator, which was fine (but gets old running that thing, plus the cost of gas to run it).

On the cost side of cruising, we have slowed down the spending. In the beginning, we spent way more than planned for
(transient slip fees are expensive!). We just got way more comfortable with anchoring out, and more confident in our ability to pick a safe anchorage. Not sure I'd be happy surviving on $500.00/month. We're more in the $12-1500.00/month category, which I find quite comfortable.

Ralph

#9 ·
Discussing chainplates and anchors endlessly on the Internet will not get you sailing and cruising.
At least when I discuss this crap on tne internet I am doing from a nice location! :)

A parallel point ( cant spell coroloery...) is that most of the forum trolls & pains in the ass are non cruisers. When people actually go somewwhere they become much better on the bet (and probably in real life).

Go now! But have your ducks lined up! As BLJones says: don't buy a fixer upper but buy one u can blow town with and upgrade when needed.
But that doesnt mean to be silly about it... Ducks dont like to line up, partners really do not wanna go, and parents really do start to die off when we go cruising and its a bit hard to just forsake them, dribbling in their Nursing Home.

But most importantly: win the lottery! Oooops, sorry, that wasnt the point...

#29 · (Edited)
What is small? What is simple?

I suppose to Outbound, the Hunter 36 that my wife and I cruise and live aboard is small. To us, it is all we need after selling and moving out of a 2100 Sq. Ft. home. We have friends that cruise on their C&C 34, currently working their way north from Trinidad - S/V Changes | Changesgoingsouth

While anchored in No Name Harbor, these cute girls and a dog rowed over in their dink to say hi. Katie and Jessie + Reggie (dog) and a cat, just completed the Great Loop, with a side trip to the Bahamas. Their boat - Cal 2-27. Louise | KATIE & JESSIE on a boat

When working at a motorcycle shop in San Antonio, Texas some years back, I met this young, crazy kid, named Ronnie Simpson. He moved to California, bought an old Palmer Johnson 41, and was going to sail around the world. Maybe 10 days out on his way to Hawaii, he pulled the plug and got rescued about 600 miles off the coast of Mexico. A couple of years later, he raced the SHTP on an Olsen 30. Lost the keel on the return trip, but made it back to SF with his crew member. 2 Years later, won his class in the SHTP on a Moore 24. Now cruising. SF to New Zealand on a ......Cal 2-27. Open Blue Horizon - Home

Really, there are so many different kinds of people out there. We all take different paths, and are looking for different experiences. There are solo sailors, married couples, maybe a couple of friends, or even families. The only thing we all share is, we only get this one chance at life.

If you can, just get off the fence, and go now. An old thread from a dear friend - http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69610-you-fence.html

Ralph

#14 ·
I'm not planning to really add much of anything to my boat that I don't already have prior to leaving next year. I'm just planning on going down the coast and the caribbean for the next couple of years so don't see the need to do spend money on boat stuff. The stuff I do get are going to be aimed more at boat living comfort than the fit out for fear stuff.

#16 · (Edited)
Ok thanks. Probably free heath care too. Fantastic for you. I just wanted to point out the contradiction for any poor souls. Go Now - when you have a pension and benefits. But still - kudos to you and the Mrs. I have 6 years until I receive a very similar deal to yours. If I make it.

Can't wait to escape this cold. And looking forward to those reasonable cheese prices.

Reactions: jwing
#17 ·
If all goes as planned (ha ha!), I will be ready to cast off in 4 years when I turn 60 (scary thought in itself). Planning to buy a $25-30K boat, have $15K for outfitting, and $40K to live on until SS kicks in. In the meantime I plan to sail my 3 smaller boats on local lakes and Pamlico sound.

#18 ·
Sal, in our case going cruising was not a long term plan. I really enjoyed teaching but when I got to the point where they were going to pay me every month not to teach, it was a matter of what next. The fact I had sailed for 40 years just pushed us in that direction. The free healthcare is of limited benefit. When we are in the US we make sure we have out-of-country coverage. In other parts of the world, we pay cash. If the amount is large enough to worry about (it rarely is) our Ontario coverage will pay up to the cost in Ontario if we have not been out of Canada for more than six months. Most medical costs are extremely low. When I injured by hand in South Africa, I would have been treated in the public hospital free, even as a visitor. In Tahiiti, an hour of treatment in a very modern hospital with French doctors was $60. Totally different than the US.

Reactions: MikeOReilly
#19 ·
I am sure that I wont be able to go cruising across oceans as I will have no income if I retire. Bad investments and a handicap that limits my ability to make a large income BUT I do get out once a week for a sail whether it be a day sail or a week or two long cruise up or down the coast. I have accepted the facts and adjusted my lifestyle to it. I have to say just go! whether it's across the ocean or across the lake, sound, river or up and down the coast DO IT!

#20 · (Edited)
I hear go now,go small repetitively. Then have cockpit drinks with cruisers. Some from Canada, some from GB, some from Europe and some from from the states.
I have yet to hear any one complain their boats too big or too new or too comfortable or too fast or too seakindly.
These are people who are either liveaboards or do thousands of miles per year. I do hear the opposite. I also hear folks complaining theyre stuck waiting for parts so there is an upside to KISS.
Now back too Nigel Calder and restringing cable to the raymic.

#22 ·
I also hear folks complaining theyre stuck waiting for parts so there is an upside to KISS.
Just remember, the amount of stuff that can fail and make a journey too risky to take until it's fixed is about the same on a simple boat as it is on a complicated, luxurious one. The extra stuff just makes the journey nicer, not possible.

#26 ·
There's big truth in the above posts and it's not to be denied. Still it's interesting to see what boats end up hosting the social get togethers. Also "happy wife- happy life".
As time goes by I increasingly come to believe
As long as you stay at least one generation behind the latest and greatest you are not at much risk to not make a journey.
Thoughtful cruisers usually have a plan A and B and OMG plan. So the hydraulic heater is broke- use the engine heat exchanger. So the engine doesn't run - use the stove to heat water. So the stove doesn't work - use the black thermal shower bag and wait for the sun. Powered winches also work when you put a handle in them. Find this argument somewhat specious.
I agree money, size of boat etc. should never be the determinant of when to go cruising. However, I think quite reasonably our love for others and the implied responsibilities that love engenders is a common and honorable reason to defer leaving.
I also think if you are going to take someone you love away from their usual creature comforts and that will to some measure stress them it behooves you to try to mitigate that stress.
Hell I'd go cruising in a lascomb beach boat and sleep under the stars, cook on a camp stove and crap over the side but my wife won't. I would have left 30yrs. ago if I felt no responsibities to my antecedents or descendants.
So far most folks I see are fully or semi retired. A few have figured out how to run businesses through the Internet. Some are then trapped by the need for Internet service or are expending more resources then I have paying for that KVH satellite. Some are living near subsistence existences with the horrors and worries that can result. Yes there is a great diversity. But the mantra of go small-go now often butts heads with the realities of many people's lives.
To argue go small go now is the righteous argument and to be the grey man is to lack courage strikes me as just being wrong and insensitive the the morality of deferring your gratification for love of others.
Although most of my cruising network farts dust we enjoy the sun and the green flash as well.

#27 ·
This discussion is staggering close to a bit of wisdom that I heard early, and that rings true to my ear: Go with the the smallest boat you can live with. Extrapolating this principle, I'd un-poetically say :

Go with the smallest set of resources you can live with.

Having more is always easier, but getting more comes at a price. Learning to live with enough is hard in our society, b/c in our consumer-driven economies, enough is an anathema. I'm not saying there is a single right answer for everyone. Clearly that is not the case. We all have different needs and different sets of responsibilities. But learning to live with enough is key to making the "just go" jump.

#28 · (Edited)
Go with the smallest set of resources you can live with.
Its a nice idea.... But....

Go with the smallest set of resources you are comfortable living with for the rest of your life.

After working you ass off for the last 40 years do you really want to spend your Golden Years living below the poverty line?

#31 ·
Somehow, reading these posts, I feel pretty sure at 23 I am the youngest person on here (Sorry if I am wrong or if anyone is offended by that).

The reality of a young person is much different- I would love to say forget this corporate job, buy a cheap boat, and go sailing (Hence the thread about the cal 2-27, and +1 on the Katie and Jessie blog, love it).

That said-

I have a few thousand dollars of student loan debt to pay off (Extra ironic because the debt is from a Masters degree in Finance and here I am complaining about funds).

I could sell my car which is worth next to nothing.

I rent an apartment (0 equity)

As much as the Cal 27 is an awesome boat, it would be perfect if I am a single guy but as it happens I am not. I don't mind the head being so very close to the bed if it's just me using it but I really REALLY do not want to have my head that close to the significant other while shes handling things. So I find myself back to looking for Pearson 28-2s or equivalents for the sole reason the head is across the ($10K more expensive) boat.

TLDR- Its very different for a young guy on a starting salary with a negative net worth and no substantial assets to liquidate. So Go small go now just cannot be done. Hence, the need for a solid plan.

#33 · (Edited)
TLDR- Its very different for a young guy on a starting salary with a negative net worth and no substantial assets to liquidate. So Go small go now just cannot be done. Hence, the need for a solid plan.
No one can know your path stagman. I will say that what has happened to the cost of education in the US and (to a lesser extent) Canada is ridiculous. Instead of being a path to freedom, it's part of the way people are enslaved. Debt and fear are the best tools our society has for keeping the vast majority of us chained, complacent and compliant.

You're right of course, it's not easy for younger people today. Especially when they get you hooked so early. Get out of debt. Find a way to create some equity. And don't focus on the small stuff. We all poop. Get over it ... or don't. It's up to you (and her).

#34 ·
So you are out there and hopefully to see "good people". Some are on small old boats some on gunboats or Wallys. That isn't what matters. What matters is whether they are enjoying life and putting love into the world. I see people turning to alcohol or endless diatribes justifying their lifestyle to mask their unhappiness. This is true throughout the spectrum as well. The truism money doesn't make you happy it just makes you comfortable is undeniable. However it is also undeniable that a well found boat takes money and work regardless of size. A well found boat is safer and more comfortable. When crew/captain are comfortable they will put in the work and make better decisions at sea.
I just wanted to point out from talking to folks with the for sale sign on their bows a common reason was the daily grind of living on an uncomfortable boat. Having to move something to get to something. Having to watch every amp or drop of water. Restricted space for provisioning. Difficulty maintaining the boat due to small spaces and limited access. Being too hot or too cold. Fear or boredom due to length of time for passages. Restricted length of chain making some anchorages untenable.
In short there is a powerful argument against go small go now. In my limited experience I see few long term cruisers enjoying life who have followed that precept but many who have worked the years to be on a sound comfortable boat with the resources to go sightseeing when they hit the next port.
BTW- from what I've seen on the eastern seaboard and caribe I'm on a small boat.

#37 ·
I don't think the cruising life has to be an all or nothing proposition. Seems that the thread has drifted in to "all the mistakes your going to make" and "it's not right to go young, now or smaller". Or jeez, so you made a mistake and your stuck for life in this boat/lifestyle/marina/backwater place.
If you have had the chance to read the Pardey's books, they made many voyages over a lifetime, and on at least two different boats. So if you are younger, and do need to go smaller, it might not be the end of the world.
I think it is a better place to start (younger, sooner, smaller), in that you get to experience the physical, mental and other challenges with life still ahead of you. So what if it doesn't work out? Do something else. Starting out when your a dust farter? We see the result, rotting away in the marinas....AKA, "Gods waiting room", around here.
As far as the love goes..think my folks had a "whole lotta love" for me to actively encourage me to get out and "do it" while I was young.

#39 ·
There are lots of posts about going "early". Yet on a recent thread when I stated the effect on how much extra money the cruising kitty would have in it by waiting an extra year for the most part most said to wait the extra year to go.

Yes I believe you should "just go" early. But that doesn't mean be a fool.

#42 ·
There are lots of posts about going "early". Yet on a recent thread when I stated the effect on how much extra money the cruising kitty would have in it by waiting an extra year for the most part most said to wait the extra year to go.

Yes I believe you should "just go" early. But that doesn't mean be a fool.
I recommended that you go now IF you have enough now. If you don't have enough now, then it's not even a question -- stay. But if you're staying just to get more, then you are on a never-ending path that few get off.

... but of course, you count me amongst the fools ;).

#40 ·
There seem to be four camps.

1) The young who can go with a small simple boat that doesn't cost much, they're young and hardy. They can afford to take time off since they are early into a career, picking up where they left off most likely won't present a major obstacle. They have no responsibilities or obligations to children and their parents are probably youngish and healthy. GO!

2) The middle aged couple with children probably face the greatest challenge and assume the greatest financial risk. They need to interrupt a career in mid cycle that may not be easy to re-enter upon the completion of the cruise. Kids are expensive and college bills are astoundingly steep. The parents are now aged and may require care that requires supervision of that now middle aged couple. This is a tough sell and could severely impact future finances.

3) The retired have the resources to buy a well found boat, probably have sailed for many years and have developed skills. The children are probably gone and the parents may have died. The career has essentially ended hopefully they've planned well enough to provide in life's later years. Hopefully your healthy and do your best to keep in shape. REALLY TIME TO GO!

4) There is the lottery ticket option but that hasn't panned out for me yet, maybe I need to start buying them?

I would guess that most people here fall into the middle age group. We would all like to go sailing but realize the personal and financial obligations we provide to loved ones preclude this.

We seriously considered leaving in our mid 30's but it would have destroyed our careers and finances. We would have to work to 65 or later to recover. I think we did the right thing. Who knows. Today we're a couple years away from getting to go (52 and 56). The kids are educated and employed, the parents while not young are still healthy and we have enough money to come back and provide care if needed.

There is no right answer, everyone has to decide what is best for themselves.

#45 · (Edited)
Of course my scenario started almost 10 years ago. That is when I first got the idea to cruise, but had never sailed even once. Now I have 7 years experience and have owned a 39' and 43' boat and am 1 year away. The thing is that this is year I originally planned to leave and now am waiting 1 more year, partially because time in owning a boat changed my understanding of the costs involved.

But, had I not gotten my first boat 7 years ago and spent the money on the using and maintaining it I could be cruising this year with more money than I will have next year. Of course I could then have become a dreamer who finds they don't like boating ;)

Reactions: Sal Paradise
#43 ·
Well, I arrived in Marathon, Florida a few days ago, but by car this time. I'll be sailing back with my boat next October if my health allows.

Now, I absolutely love it down here, the cruisers and live aboards are some of the most fascinating individuals you will ever meet in your lifetime, and had I known this a decade ago, I would have been here a decade ago.

I'm not retired, and probably will never retire - I'm having too much fun doing my job, which is a musician/singer/entertainer. I can work as much or as little as I want, which is something most folks cannot do.

During the past few days, I got to meet up with some old acquaintances, and this time introduce them to my loving wife of more than a half century. Among the first was 93 year old captain Jack, who has lived on his 27 foot boat for the better part 30 years. Jack loves to hit on the ladies and every day he brings them flowers that he picks at the nearby municipal park.

I introduced her to captain Dan, an ex Navy Seal, who has been living in Boot Key Harbor for nearly a decade. Dan is a great guy and very resourceful. Every day at 12 noon Dan can be seen walking toward the Tiki Hut with a 16-ounce can of cheap beer in his hand. "It's five o'clock somewhere." Dan will say as he smiles.

Then there is the multimillionaire that owns a 127-foot motor yacht. He and his wife, Val, live aboard the boat year round, he conducts his business from the yacht, but when necessary, he rents a small plane to fly back to the Florida Panhandle where his offices are located. He plays a mean banjo, guitar and keyboard, and his wife sings beautifully. They often accompanied me at the Tiki Hut on Saturday nights.

This coming Saturday, weather permitting, I'll be performing at the Tiki Hut, and announced this on the Boot Key Cruiser's Net (VHF 68). A lot of folks cheered on the radio and one of them said "It's about damned time you can back." That really drew a lot of chuckles.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, cruisers, especially live aboard cruisers, are a unique group of individuals. They tend to be very courteous, friendly, and to a greater degree, far more resourceful than the average person. When you're in need, they're always right there to help. They may drink a bit more than the average person, but who cares? They love to party, and for the most part, they are excellent sailors who really know their boats inside and out.

If you have the funds, and believe me, you will need them, go for it - don't wait. Life on this planet is very, very short. Make the best of it while you still can.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#60 · (Edited)
Well, I arrived in Marathon, Florida a few days ago, but by car this time. I'll be sailing back with my boat next October if my health allows.

Now, I absolutely love it down here, the cruisers and live aboards are some of the most fascinating individuals you will ever meet in your lifetime, and had I known this a decade ago, I would have been here a decade ago.

I'm not retired, and probably will never retire - I'm having too much fun doing my job, which is a musician/singer/entertainer. I can work as much or as little as I want, which is something most folks cannot do.

During the past few days, I got to meet up with some old acquaintances, and this time introduce them to my loving wife of more than a half century. Among the first was 93 year old captain Jack, who has lived on his 27 foot boat for the better part 30 years. Jack loves to hit on the ladies and every day he brings them flowers that he picks at the nearby municipal park.

I introduced her to captain Dan, an ex Navy Seal, who has been living in Boot Key Harbor for nearly a decade. Dan is a great guy and very resourceful. Every day at 12 noon Dan can be seen walking toward the Tiki Hut with a 16-ounce can of cheap beer in his hand. "It's five o'clock somewhere." Dan will say as he smiles.

Then there is the multimillionaire that owns a 127-foot motor yacht. He and his wife, Val, live aboard the boat year round, he conducts his business from the yacht, but when necessary, he rents a small plane to fly back to the Florida Panhandle where his offices are located. He plays a mean banjo, guitar and keyboard, and his wife sings beautifully. They often accompanied me at the Tiki Hut on Saturday nights.

This coming Saturday, weather permitting, I'll be performing at the Tiki Hut, and announced this on the Boot Key Cruiser's Net (VHF 68). A lot of folks cheered on the radio and one of them said "It's about damned time you can back." That really drew a lot of chuckles.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, cruisers, especially live aboard cruisers, are a unique group of individuals. They tend to be very courteous, friendly, and to a greater degree, far more resourceful than the average person. When you're in need, they're always right there to help. They may drink a bit more than the average person, but who cares? They love to party, and for the most part, they are excellent sailors who really know their boats inside and out.

If you have the funds, and believe me, you will need them, go for it - don't wait. Life on this planet is very, very short. Make the best of it while you still can.

All the best,
T you
Gary :cool:
Hello Gary, good to hear that you are back in the Keys. We have finally moved aboard and are headed down to Marathon at this time. May not make it in time to meet you this year, as we are still on the northern Gulf Coast, but should be there when you return on your Morgan as we plan to stay a while and spend next winter in the warm.

We have worked for years planning to cut the cord and have finally jumped in with all feet. My wife, Myrna, is the driving force behind our effort now and before the transition. A willing and eager partner is without a doubt the most important item on the boat. Ours is a team effort in total.

We left home in mid December after renting our house, have no schedule or etched in stone destinations in mind, but will be spending some time in Marathon. We are on our 35' Atkin cutter "ROSA", which is a very traditional vessel with little room down below. We have enough for our needs and are trying to enjoy every day to the max. Our one negative is the fact that we probably waited way too long to go as we are now in our early 70's and could have departed earlier. We chose to help our parents and our children as best we could and go on what we had as soon as practical. We know the boat, our abilities, and our resources.

Go as soon, and as young, as you can make it happen. Alligning all of the ducks at the same time is like trying to herd cats. It will never happen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.