Just Go! - SailNet Community
 267Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 152 Old 01-18-2015 Thread Starter
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Just Go!

I am currently anchored in a bay with about 100 boats in it in Grenada, ranging from seven figures (a new Amel 54) to a lot less (a Canadian Chrysler 26ish, that I would want to check carefully before sailing across Lake Ontario). This has made me think about the interminable discussion about cruising on $X dollars a month or can I take my Whatever 36 into bluewater. This applies for people on the east coast of the US and Canada and the Great Lakes. There will be variations with different starting places.

Get a boat that you can afford, make sure you have some money to do upgrades after purchase and after you start cruising and just go.
  • Go down the east coast, ICW and hop offshore when you can. Fix and upgrade boat as needed and as affordable.
  • Go to the Bahamas for the winter. Return to Florida before hurricane season. Fix and upgrade as needed. Note that this will be the last chance to fix your boat really cheaply.
  • Go to the Eastern Caribbean via the Thorny Path. You guessed it - fix the boat (St Martin and Trinidad are best).
  • Still having fun and want more adventure. Head to Panama and go through the canal. Fix and upgrade as needed.
  • Rinse and repeat this process as necessary as you head to wherever you head for.

At any point in the process you may decide - the boat isn't up to what comes next and/or I am not up to it/or it isn't really what I expected. If the former, you need to get a different boat and start the process again. If the latter, head home and either cruise locally or take up golf.

Discussing chainplates and anchors endlessly on the Internet will not get you sailing and cruising.
chall03, Faster, JimMcGee and 26 others like this.

After the refit we have decided to sell Ainia. We want something smaller that would be could for the light summer winds of Lake Ontario, although we plan to spend at least a couple of winters in the Caribbean before heading north.

Last edited by killarney_sailor; 01-18-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to killarney_sailor For This Useful Post:
MarkofSeaLife (01-18-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 Old 01-18-2015

Re: Just Go!

Let me start by saying I am only an armchair sailor, watched many sailing instructional videos, read innumerable sailing books and blogs, looked at more boats than I care to count. I've been a boat owner for 20 years, but power boats. I've managed to assemble a fair list of acceptable boats, from Allied, Endeavour, Pearson, Islander and on and on. Even have a short list of wants and needs. Found a few boats that I would be willing to have surveyed. I'm ready to go. Now, if I can just convince the admiral!
post #3 of 152 Old 01-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I am currently anchored in a bay with about 100 boats in it in Grenada, ranging from seven figures (a new Amel 54) to a lot less (a Canadian Chrysler 26ish, that I would want to check carefully before sailing across Lake Ontario). This has made me think about the interminable discussion about cruising on $X dollars a month or can I take my Whatever 36 into bluewater. This applies for people on the east coast of the US and Canada and the Great Lakes. There will be variations with different starting places.
I'm so jealous Bruce. Wish I was there, but we're on our way. See you down there in a few years. We have to stop off at Newfoundland first .

Why go fast, when you can go slow.

post #4 of 152 Old 01-18-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

That is exactly what we did. Your plan is exactly the way we live. So far, we've covered 5000 miles in two years, and about to start again. Still no AP, windlass, davits, radar, AIS, SSB, EPIRB (but will add soon), or life raft. Just a boat that is fairly solid, and relatively easy for my wife and I to sail. Honestly, an AP would be nice at some point for the longer overnighters. But that's about it. Now, if we can just get farther than Georgetown next trip. I've now read Passages South, and hope to make it down the Islands.

Cost of our boat - $20K. About $7K spent making it good below the waterline. New ball valves, and a new rudder. So far, the only repairs made was a leaking fuel pump. Not bad.....

GO NOW!

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RTB; 01-18-2015 at 11:45 AM.
post #5 of 152 Old 01-18-2015

Excellent advice... Can't help thinking of a certain former poster here who now frequents CF who could benefit from heeding your wisdom... :-))

Last time I was in Georgetown, LE GENTLEMAN was probably the smallest boat anchored in Elizabeth Harbor, even smaller than mine :-)

Appeared to me, they were enjoying themselves as much as anyone else...

post #6 of 152 Old 01-18-2015

I write. Occasionally I make some money at it. When this comes up in conversation, often someone says, "Oooh, I always wanted to be a writer" and I have to hold back from responding, "No, you don't. If you did, you would be writing." I used to think cruising was like that- you are either cruising or you arent. Now, i'm not so either/or about it. Some people want to cruise, some think they want to cruise and some people are in love with the process of preparation for cruising, and don't realize it. Some realize it fully.

If you have a 5 year plan to outfit your boat for a 2 year cruise, you likely aren't going. If you are researching now for the boat you will be buying in 5 years and refitting for 2 years for your extended lifestyle of cruising, you likely aren't going. If you are ... you get the picture.

And that's okay.

For some folks the process is as important, maybe more important, than the journey or the destination. Like those who decide that they are going to build a boat to sail around the world. The majority of them aren't going to sail around the world, most won't finish the boat, most of those who do will sell it when it is done, but the proclaimed use wasn't the goal- it was just the reason required to BUILD A BOAT.

But whatever your goal- start now.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 01-25-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #7 of 152 Old 01-18-2015
Captain Obvious

Well from your blog you are retired - with a teachers pension?

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #8 of 152 Old 01-18-2015
Land lubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
I write. Occasionally I make some money at it. When this comes up in conversation, often someone says, "Oooh, I always wanted to be a writer" and I have to hold back from responding, "No, you don't. If you did, you would be writing." I used to think cruising was like that- you are either cruising or you arent. Now, i'm not so either/or about it. Some people want to cruise, some think they want to cruise and some people are in love with the process of preparation for cruising, and don't realize it. Some realize it fully.

If you have a 5 year plan to outfit your boat for a 2 year cruise, you aren't going. If you are researching now for the boat you will be buying in 5 years and refitting for 2 years for your extended lifestyle of cruising, you aren't going. If you are ... you get the picture.
I disagree with this. My wife and I are on a 5 year plan. We are taking ASA classes. We have a trailer sailor that we learn/practice on. We will start chartering larger sailboats 3-4 times per year now that we have the ASA101 and ASA103 certs.

We plan to go cruising in 2020. We are saving to buy in cash and we are setting up the property management company that will keep the cruising kitty full every month.

We have a plan and will execute it.
mrhoneydew and jwing like this.
post #9 of 152 Old 01-18-2015

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post

Discussing chainplates and anchors endlessly on the Internet will not get you sailing and cruising.
At least when I discuss this crap on tne internet I am doing from a nice location!

A parallel point ( cant spell coroloery...) is that most of the forum trolls & pains in the ass are non cruisers. When people actually go somewwhere they become much better on the bet (and probably in real life).

Go now! But have your ducks lined up! As BLJones says: don't buy a fixer upper but buy one u can blow town with and upgrade when needed.
But that doesnt mean to be silly about it... Ducks dont like to line up, partners really do not wanna go, and parents really do start to die off when we go cruising and its a bit hard to just forsake them, dribbling in their Nursing Home.

But most importantly: win the lottery! Oooops, sorry, that wasnt the point...

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #10 of 152 Old 01-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjoub View Post
We plan to go cruising in 2020. .
Mann tracht und Gott lacht.

You may well be the exception to the rule. if so, good on ya! In the meantime, you're actively sailing, you're not just "researching".

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

Last edited by bljones; 01-18-2015 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.