Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

slax is on a distinguished road
The adventure begins, again. :)

Having relocated to the southeast, but still working from the bay. I find myself in an interesting impasse`. Tardis is still in SF, I don't have the time right now to move her here via her own means, and I'm not sure I want to.. she draws 6' and is not suited for the options available in proximity. Also, its nice to have her in SF when I have to go back for work. This has led me on a search for an addition to the family. I have done some months of searching, and it seems like southern FL is the closest place to me with a surplus of options (and nicer weather at the moment). So off to the keys I go, flying in this weekend and staying for 2 days in marathon with a list of vessels. Any input on this adventure would be greatly appreciated. I work remotely so with wifi/3-4G will travel, and most of my time over the trip is a flextime work schedule with a couple days of required dedicated attention in the mix. This leaves a lot of options open for me, but does require some planning or in this instance at least research and forethought. I am pretty open to options available depending on what fits my needs/budget. Meaning I guess, I can keep her there, sail up the coast, trailer something back, all depending on the vessel and planning/slow movements north.

cheers,
~slax
bljones and Sal Paradise like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

snodawg is on a distinguished road
Re: The adventure begins, again. :)

Good luck in your search, what did you have in mind?
Old 3 Weeks Ago

mikel1 is on a distinguished road

You need to contact "travelineasy" on this site . . . there is a thread going right now . . .
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Sunphish is on a distinguished road

Don't get me wrong, I like the Keys, and for a new boat, especially trailer sailers, there is a nice dealer in Key Largo, but the Keys are full of lost dreams. Really do your homework or you may be waisting a lot of time looking at junk. I live on the East Coast, but if it were me, St. Petersburg/Tampa/Ft.Myers would be my hunting grounds.

What range boat are you looking for?
Group9 likes this.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Most of the boat yards in the keys are filled with junkers, abandoned by folks that owe lots of money for storage fees and didn't or couldn't afford the keys to begin with. However, the vast majority here are powerboats - not sail boats.

I found lots of sailboats for sale, boats of all sizes, north of the keys. A quick internet search will provide you with more place to look at boats for sale in Florida than you can imagine. I traveled 5,000 miles searching for my Morgan 33 Out Island, and ironically found the one I purchased just 50 miles from my home.

I know several folks in your position that have two boats, one they keep here, and one where they work, which is usually somewhere in the frozen north. The cost of dry land storage in the keys is pretty steep, mainly because the cost of land is so high down here. Keep in mind that land in the keys is very scarce, therefore, quite valuable. Same goes for the cost of homes, especially waterfront.

If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for something like my 33 Morgan Out Island, which is a great live aboard boat, then you could sail it to the Dry Tortugas, Bahamas, and live aboard on the hook or a mooring ball at numerous locations throughout the lower keys during the winter months, then store it somewhere north of the keys, maybe Indian River Landing or Stuart, during the months you are not here. Google Morgan 33 Out Island sailboat for sale and you'll find a bunch of them at reasonable prices.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Thanks for the input everyone. I am pretty open within a range. I wasn't planning on keeping it in the keys persay. Am open to bringing it north closer to ga so it's proximal. Ideally I don't need anything overtly large feel comfortable with ~32ft prefer full/long keel older designs and have some time to look with care. We shall see what is on the market. If nothing is right can migrate up the coast while searching on my way home.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slax View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I am pretty open within a range. I wasn't planning on keeping it in the keys persay. Am open to bringing it north closer to ga so it's proximal. Ideally I don't need anything overtly large feel comfortable with ~32ft prefer full/long keel older designs and have some time to look with care. We shall see what is on the market. If nothing is right can migrate up the coast while searching on my way home.
I think you just described the Morgan Gary described.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Here ya go Morgan Out Island 33 boats for sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Didn't know morgan made a 3/4 - full keel model. I'm content with smaller for the draft needs here but personally get uncomfortable when being pushed sideways in 10kts.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

The Out Island series is essentially a full keel vessel. Their standard sloop is a 3/4 keel boat and far more tender when sailing on a beam reach than the Out Island. I've sailed extensively on both.

The draft on my 33 OI is just 4 feet, which makes it great for accessing many anchorages that deeper draft vessels cannot get into. It also makes it a bit easier to access lots of inlets with bars at the end of their jetties.

The main reason I chose the 33 Out Island was that I could handle it single handed, and it's spacious interior. The 33 OI has more room and storage space than most 41 foot standard sloops. The hull is quite thick, the boat is tough as nails, and tracks like a dream when the sails are properly trimmed.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are searching for,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.