Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2001

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Cruising with Rental Condo as shore base

Planning (dreaming?) ahead to an early retirement, I have this notion that I wish to share. I hope to find out if any others in SailNet are doing something like this (or thinking of it).

How about buying a nice sloop to cruise the warmer climes (southern US and Caribbean) during the months of Nov-May, then spending the balance of the year in our condo in Florida. Yes, I know Florda is hot in the summer, but that''s my wife''s preferred temperature and I can get used to almost anything.

We''re already familiar with the Sanibel Island area (we own a modest rental condo there), so I believe that renting out the condo Nov-May would pay 2/3 of the carrying costs of the property.

A cruising budget of $2,000 a month sounds luxurious when using Larry and Sue''s figures (see their SailNet article).

Now, having a home-base offers advantages and disadvantages. Expecting to be home-bound for 5 months of the year means we''ll need a car - and storing a car for 5 months without use is hard on it. We would make a thorough plan before we get to far along, but I thought I would like to hear from other SailNet members first.

TIA,
Duane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2001

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road

Squirt Marvel Mystery Oil into the spark plug holes before you start the car.....
Old 08-09-2001

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road

Ahoy, My family and I do this very thing out of Cape Coral and we love it. As far as the car is concerned have a friend or neighbor run it once a week or the Marvel oil can''t hurt. Pull the battery and leave it on a trickle charger device to keep it active. What do you do with the boat when your on land? Same thing except I care more about the boat. Big Red 56
Old 08-15-2001

Speedy92152 is on a distinguished road

We live in Fort Myers. Have the same plan you do with an exception. When my wife retires, we are moving lock,stock and barell to the Dominican Republic North Coast. We just bought a 2 bd. condo overlooking the water from a nice hill for $32,000. All furnished down to the towels. We plan to Sail the caribbean until hurricane season then make Samana our home port. At this time, we are looking to sell our 28 Lancer in order to buy something bigger.She has two years to go... I''m counting the MINUTES.
Old 08-27-2001

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the good advice. I''m late in this last post since we were away for a few weeks.

Big Red and Speedy, you''re both in our "neck of the woods" in Lee County (we live in PA, but think of Sanibel as our home).

Big Red, I left a message for you on SailNet to email me. Please do; love to chat a bit.

Speedy, if you read this, please email me at deising@aol.com. Sure sounds like you have a great dream waiting to happen soon.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.