1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-16-2015 Thread Starter

Rapido 60 - The most perfect cruiser?

I discovered this little number from a company called Rapido - Home

To me it ticks all the boxes.

#1 More stability than a cat or mono.

#2 Safer than a cat.

#3 Rocket fast if you want it to be. 30 plus knots.

#4 Easy handling.

#5 Acres of space and one level living.

#6 Optimum size.

I have looked at 100's of craft and kept distant interest from tri's because they are all too small or too big or just weird. This is goldilocks porridge with extra sugar.

What you guys and girls think?

It does not have in-mast furling but I could live with that. (In joke for some people)

Last edited by paulanthony; 04-16-2015 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-16-2015

Re: Rapido 60 - The most perfect cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
#3 Rocket fast if you want it to be. 30 plus knots.
Ooooh, with that sort of speed you could "Sail around storms"... Hmmm, where have we heard that recently?

Cockpit looks cozy, and comfortable... And safe @ 30 knots, too...

Perhaps Prada still has some of their sailing gear from the last AC you could pick up at a good discount?

Go for it, sure looks "easy to sail", to me... The Perfect Cruiser, indeed...

:-)
paulanthony likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-16-2015
Last Man Standing

I took a look at the website. Actually - it's pretty cool.

I still prefer a cat over a tri, but this thing is interesting. Pretty good polars:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #4 of 15 Old 04-16-2015

It's a pretty interesting design. I probably would be looking more seriously at the Neel 65' were I in this market. Since they have a number of completed boats and worked thru some of the construction issues. But I would certainly look seriously at it.

Greg Rubin
Attorney
post #5 of 15 Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter

The Neel 65 looks a whole lot more complex to me and you can't see forward from the rear unless at the helm. Not being able to see forward would drive me nuts. The Neel design is just too holistically avant-garde for my taste. I think the design tries a little to hard and it does not know if it is a tri or a cat.

I agree that their would be a lot more production experience though with the Neel as they have completed a few hulls and I am sure there will be some big engineering issues to be proven off with this Rapido. Hull #3 #4 will have them ironed out.

Last edited by paulanthony; 04-17-2015 at 06:22 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-17-2015
Last Man Standing

What are the advantages to a tri over a cat? It seems like a lot more expense for the extra hull without clear benefits.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #7 of 15 Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
What are the advantages to a tri over a cat? It seems like a lot more expense for the extra hull without clear benefits.
I am no expert but I believe the tri is regarded as best platform for optimum sailing. Better balance, less pitching, more comfortable and basically combines the speed of a (fast) cat with the manoeuvrability of a mono. Usually though they don't lend themselves to decent accommodation plans and are more beamy than a cat. Not sure what a 40 foot beam would add as a multiplier in a marina. Big ouch factor.

With respect to safety I believe them to be less vulnerable to capsize than fast cats because they do provide a bit more warning and feel for the loads on the sail when approaching the limits and of course they have a bigger beam. I might be talking crap. I don't know, but this is what I have read.

I think on a tri you would run a greater risk of pitch poling before you flipped sideways. I have seen a few on youtube do this and there is an example of a dragonfly running a rate of knots when one of its pontoons buried itself and did not have the mass to push through the wave and it tripped and flipped. To be honest though it looked way out of control before this happened. Think it was racing.

Fast cats scare me somewhat. I would not trust them. Even Chris white has developed a mast foil to counter the problem of rapid main sail loading in a squall which has been the cause for some of his boats to flip.

I would consider a tri though but where would you keep a 2400 square foot boat such as the rapido? This to me is the biggest dent regarding it being the ideal cruiser although you could just use anchorages when in cruise mode.

Last edited by paulanthony; 04-17-2015 at 11:47 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
It's a pretty interesting design. I probably would be looking more seriously at the Neel 65' were I in this market. Since they have a number of completed boats and worked thru some of the construction issues. But I would certainly look seriously at it.
The Neel designs have come on some what "Stumble". The 65 has a roof patio. Had no idea. Yeh. You're right, worth a look if you were in that league but have a sneaky feeling it will come in 3 times the prices of the Rapido
post #9 of 15 Old 04-17-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Ooooh, with that sort of speed you could "Sail around storms"... Hmmm, where have we heard that recently?

Cockpit looks cozy, and comfortable... And safe @ 30 knots, too...

Perhaps Prada still has some of their sailing gear from the last AC you could pick up at a good discount?

Go for it, sure looks "easy to sail", to me... The Perfect Cruiser, indeed...

:-)
Silver is not my colour - Does not suit me...
post #10 of 15 Old 04-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulanthony View Post
I am no expert but I believe the tri is regarded as best platform for optimum sailing. Better balance, less pitching,
My understanding is that tendency toward pitching is *largely* a simple matter of hull length and weight, and the "pitchy" people experience on a cat is because the thing has no keel full of ballast. Am I wrong? This thing also looks like it likely has no keel full of ballast either, so why would it be less pitchy than a cat of about the same size?

Quote:
more comfortable and basically combines the speed of a (fast) cat with the manoeuvrability of a mono.
Can you expand on this one as well? Why would cats be less manoeuverable? Is it just because of that (what looks like) 8-foot keel as opposed to the usually shallow draft that many cats have?

Quote:
Usually though they don't lend themselves to decent accommodation plans and are more beamy than a cat. Not sure what a 40 foot beam would add as a multiplier in a marina. Big ouch factor.
Based on the sketches, it certainly looks like the beam from the outside of one outrigger to the outside of the other is something on the order of 25-30 feet. That'll put you onto the end of any dock and only ones with a LOT of room out beyond at that.

Quote:
With respect to safety I believe them to be less vulnerable to capsize than fast cats because they do provide a bit more warning and feel for the loads on the sail when approaching the limits and of course they have a bigger beam. I might be talking crap. I don't know, but this is what I have read.

I think on a tri you would run a greater risk of pitch poling before you flipped sideways. I have seen a few on youtube do this and there is an example of a dragonfly running a rate of knots when one of its pontoons buried itself and did not have the mass to push through the wave and it tripped and flipped. To be honest though it looked way out of control before this happened. Think it was racing.

Fast cats scare me somewhat. I would not trust them. Even Chris white has developed a mast foil to counter the problem of rapid main sail loading in a squall which has been the cause for some of his boats to flip.
Yeah, well, that same giant canvas is part of the reason you might see the 30 knots. That and the giant keel. If you sit down and do the math, the weight in the center might not be more stable than a catamaran with the weight outboard in two hulls. Any capsizing has to start with lifting a hull out, and that *should be* all but impossible. The discussion from cat owners is that any sensibly-canvased cat with reasonable keel management (windward swing keel only down, for example) will just slide sideways under any conditions that don't blow out the sail, and blowing out the sail solves the problem. (Tom Lack supposedly offered a not-insubstantial bounty for anyone that could get a Catalac to lift a hull. I don't think anyone ever claimed they had.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.