Route from Key West to Isla Mujeres/Cancun? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-10-2015 Thread Starter

Route from Key West to Isla Mujeres/Cancun?

I'll be sailing my 67 Morgan 34 from Key West to the Cancun area. What routes has anybody taken, or what do you suggest? I'll be leaving mid-June. I was told heading to the Dry Tortugas then Cuba then Mexico, or dry Tortugas straight to Mexico.. What's every bodies opinion?

Also, what should I be aware and prepared for before I head out? Any chart recommendations? What's going to be my biggest concerns? Any ideas and opinions will help vey much! Thanks everybody!
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-10-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Route from Key West to Isla Mujeres/Cancun?

Your biggest concern should be hurricanes.......

Any of the routes you mention work. One way or another you have to deal with the Yucatan and Loop currents.

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #3 of 3 Old 05-10-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Re: Route from Key West to Isla Mujeres/Cancun?

From what I read on another post of yours, you have little or no sailing experience. This is not a trip for a novice sailor, even one with a crew. You will encounter currents that can nearly bring you to a standstill, and contrary winds that are often in opposition to the currents, which will build standing, stacking waves that will beat you to death.

The best route is likely Key West to the Marquesses Keys, then to the Dry Tortugas, follow the Cuban coast, then head across. It's a very, very long trip, even for an experienced captain.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.