SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Boat Shoes

22K views 91 replies 58 participants last post by  RegisteredUser 
#1 ·
Boat shoes--shoes with rubber soles designed to not pick up sand/dirt/rocks-- used to be available in the form of construction of athletic shoes. They were also comfortable for walking.

Now what I find is either a high tech, fast draining sailing shoe or the old topsider available in more colors than a rainbow, plus patterns (or your favorite baseball team logo). Neither of which would be as comfortable walking, at least I don't think. I'd like support, and have them laced up snuggly.

We like to walk when we cruise. It would be nice to be wearing shoes that, when we arrived back at the dinghy, didn't bring along a scoop of dirt. Plus, they would be comfortable on the boat.

I've looked online and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, for both me and my wife. Does anyone know of such a shoe being sold?

#78 ·
Went to Kmart the other day to look at the boat shoes decided on the Blue schooner ones. got to the checkout counter and the lady said they were buy a pair and get the second for a $1 so I got the brown schooner also. I really thought they were ging to be like the old skater shoes with a flat bottom but they were very comfortable. I wore them all day last weekend . im thinking of going back and getting a pair for work I like them that much.

#79 ·
I have spent hundreds of dollars searching for the right shoe - one that is comfortable, non-slip, and doesn't stink. Sandals are easy - but a shoe has been hard to find.

Finally at the fall boat show in Annapolis, I came across Soft Science shoes. Kind of ugly at first, but felt great. I have been thoroughly pleased, and unlike every other boat shoe I've tried, these can stay inside the boat when I take them off. All the others - especially the Croc / Sperry type smell awful.

I have seen that Amazon also sells them. I'll be getting a second pair in a different color soon.

#80 · (Edited)
All the others - especially the Croc / Sperry type smell awful.
I don't know if it's personal body chemistry or what, but my Croc boat shoes have never smelled (which I can not say about Sperrys). They're completely impervious to trapping anything odor causing, as far as I can tell. At least for me. Worst case, you can hose them off and they don't care.

#84 ·
I haven't read every post, but I wear plain old crocs 90% of the time and love them. If it's cool and dry, I'll add a pair of cotton socks, if it's cold or damp I'll add a pair of wool socks.

I keep a pair of 9mm wetsuit booties on board too for cruddy weather.

#92 ·
I haven't worn 'regular' shoes in several years.
Keen has their CNX closed toe sandals that I like a lot.
I wear them everyday and a pair will go almost a year...and that's including construction work.
Sipes, like for tires for winter, can be cut into most any sole...if needed.
Give them about 2 days to 'fit'.
After that, you may be hooked.

No, I don't own stock in the company...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.