SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Insurance, berthing near Sydney Australia

968 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tdw 
#1 ·
My wife and I have fallen in love with a yacht currently for sale in Sydney, Australia. As we're both from EU (Belgium) and first time owners, we're trying to get the details sorted out regarding insurance and affordable berthing places / costs. The idea is to leave the boat in Australia untill January 2016, when we and the kids go over for sailing. Afterwards we're looking at shipping it over the EU or sailing it with a delivery crew.

As this is all new, we're looking for insurance options and berthing places to leave the boat untill next year.

• Can anyone recommend on insurance company? Are there pitfalls we should be aware of? Would it make sense (pricewise) to get the boat out of the water? Do we need in this case a different insurance policy?
  • Does anyone know a good berthing place around Sydney (or further away)? I suspect many sailors going around the world, leave there yacht there during the hurricane season.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Berth or mooring ? Their marina is not brilliant but Balmain Marine is a good place for mooring. For Sydney it is reasonably priced and fairly placed placed for acces to the city itself. It's a couple of nautical west of the Harbour Bridge. For marina berths Birkenhead is not bad. There are also a couple of pretty good marina's in Middle Harbour.

If you are leaving the boat here until 2016 make sure you have checked out import duties and the like. A foreign owned vessel in Australia may attract various taxes though that will depend on exactly how long the boat is kept here.

Nautilus Marine and/or Club Marine seem to be the preferred insurers. We have our boat with Anchorage but after our experience with them when we made a claim I am not happy to recommend them.

White Bay 06 may be able to offer dry storage but I don't know for how long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.