Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006

Michael201 is on a distinguished road
Thank you for your replies so far. I'll check out all the links. I've read most of Leonard's Voyager book and will look for the other. I'd like to get on a crew or two like the Caribb. 1500 and will attempt to do that.

The builder of the boat told me that once you get in a boat large enough not to be able to push it off on your own that a few more feet really does not matter... if it's equiped properly. (not much difference between a 55 & 62) Other then the turn in a marina being tighter, I think I agree.

Bow and stern thrusters will be on the boat and everything comes to the cockpit. We are also setting it up to use manual cranking if power fails...

Thank you so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Just read your thread. Wow! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Some things I have found that will make it more enjoyable:

1) Get on these sites and others and see if you can track down other boats with kids. Not too many of us, I will have to say. But, it is easier for the kids and the parents. Incidentally, we found our best friends in the world on a boat.

2) Medication, medication, medication (I am assuming you are not a physician). Man, I cannot stress this enough. If you can find a doc that is familiar with boating and cruising, that is perfect. However, it is not easy. Some things that come in off the top of my mind are an Epipen junior (and reg Epipen), a variety of antibiotics (in the dry form for the kiddo). You can order the antibiotics from your pharmacist dry under doc script and you only have to add water. Ear drops. Albuterol breathing machine. I prefer albuterol over Sepracors Xopenex because the side effects can actually be positive (other than making your kiddo wild). It is great for bronchial infections (even if your child does not have asthma)

Go ahead and buy your offshore medical kit. It comes with a list of all of the meds you need and has good thoughts. Take it to your pediatrician and discuss it with him for good toddler alternatives. Spend a lot of time getting familiar with them. PS DO NOT BUY THEM UNTIL RIGHT BEFORE YOU ARE GOING TO GO OFF. Most have a shelf life of one year... but that can be reduced in a boat.

3) Plan a lot of short trips versus long trips. Kids get pretty bored pretty quick. Also, make sure your child does not get easily sea sick.

We will be back in the Fort Myers, Florida area pretty soon. If you are ever in "town", let us know. I have a 2 and 6 year old. Maybe we could all meet. Just PM me for address.
Old 08-15-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
I have to disagree that a new boat is less of a headach. For me (I'm about a year ahead but doing the same thing) it's only my new equipment that's giving me trouble. That and the fact that new boats have sooooo many complicated systems that can't be repaired at sea. So, be prepared to do without the watermaker, the generator, and all the gadgets, even the engine. You just have to have a contingancy plan for everything. I like what surfesquire said about man overboard drills. This is probably the most realistic danger at sea. Teach yourself and the family that if you go over the side, that's it. It may not be completely true but that's how I like to think of it. Will your wife be able to get you back aboard alone, will you be able to get her back on alone? I'd train the kid to keep an eye on the person who's gone over the side while you turn the boat around. I think as we're preparing to go offshore we worry too much, but it pays to think about what could go wrong and to practice practice practice. THese are jsut the things that jump out at me, I'm also curious about what the more seasond members say
Old 08-15-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Nice boat by the way. Makes me feel better cause I thought mine was too big. I was wondering what route you were going to take?
Old 08-15-2006

I agree about the drills. We've been talking about that for a week. The boat will have systems that mark the position, we are very good swimmers and all that but we sure want to be as prepared as possible with realistic drills. We intend to practice until we both feel comfortable with how to handle the situation. I'm a pilot and have my own plane. If I worried about all that can and sometimes does go wrong, I'd never get in it with my family. I know the sea can be deadly but at least if your engine fails, you are still able to take time to think through a response. In a plane, you have to make instant decisions and be ready to "ditch" if necessary. I practice these drills mentally all the time. It's funny how your mind is always at work in the air. I'm always doing what if scenarios. I'm sure I'll do the same at sea.

I know that systems will fail. I've spoken to several people who have never had a system totally fail and others who seem to believe it's one after another. I'll just be as prepared as I can. Like most, this won't stop me from the adventure or have any effect on my enjoyment of it. I believe these are things that are part of the whole experience. I would consider myself a pretty technical person and nothing (learning how to operate and use technology) scares me. Again, being a pilot and tech savvy has given me this confidence.

Not sure on the rout. Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
"Not sure on the rout. Any suggestions?"

Michael... Are you planning to spend some time in Taiwan as the boat is built? Understanding the underlying systems/wire & plumbing routing etc. before the "skin" goes on might be a very worthwhile thing to do.
I for one would be interested in a continuing discussion about the systems you have chosen to install and what has led to your choices. Since the construction has yet to begin, perhaps the combined expertise of the board could either reassure you or re-direct you before the actual work is done.
Example: What will your anchoring system be like? What choices are you making for heads? How will she be rigged...ketch/sloop/cutter? What will your 12V & charging setup be? etc. etc.
It might also be useful to understand your cruising plans...worldwide, East Coast etc. as these might lead to different recommendations.
Old 08-15-2006

We are planning on a world wide cruise with no time limits other then hurricane or typhoon seasons in areas. We also plan on spending quite a bit of time inland (via trains & car rentals) exploring. We are both experienced in travel (business and pleasure) around the globe and love to go off the "path".

We are planning a trip to the assembly plant next year to look at the process.

We really like Tom Wagner (the company pres.) and will discuss every decision that is made regarding systems and such. He's been building boats & sailing for 30 years so I'm sure we'll rely on his experience along the way. He is very understanding with the type of sailing and travel we will be doing and seems to have a handle on the way to approach it. I'm sure during the process we will be given choices and I plan on using this board and others I know with extensive experience to make the decisions. One thing we have been talking about, for example is in boom or in mast. We've been reading and talking about that for weeks. The boat is still being designed. It will be a hybrid cutter rigged boat. Anchoring will be very important to us because of the size of water and fuel we have onboard. I'm sure we would rather anchor in a lot of places rather then use a marina. The voyager’s handbook has a good bit written about different ones and bottom types. I'm sure we'll have to hooked up with others in storage. Suggestions?

Regarding medical. I plan on having as mush as I can think of. Have medical (Dr's and Pharm) in family and will use them for the prescriptions ect.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.