SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Please help me not make a mistake:)

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  miatapaul 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the process of purchasing a boat to keep in the warm waters south for the winter months, and up on Georgian Bay Ontario in the summer months. There will be myself, wife and 5 year old(periodically maybe up to 3 guests). In the winter months we may only make it down 2-4 times for a couple weeks at a time. My wife is not much of a sport, not a sailor. MOST, but not all of the work will be done by myself.
So I basically need a "very comfortable" boat for my wife, and something not too challenging to handle with 1.5:laugh people.
Our power requirements will be higher, and comfort level must be somewhat up there or my wife will not be part of this adventure.
I am a "half decent" sailor, but not afraid to admit like any honest person, there is always much more to learn to enhance skill set.
Thank you for any advice and experience.
I know budget will be the first question......I'd obviously like to keep price down, or again....my wife will not be apart of this adventure...LOL
Thanks again for assistance

#3 ·
Hi Christina, yes....will be sailing it down. From Manitoulin Island area, will take some time and effort. I have MUCH older friends who do it yearly to Florida and who actually cannot wait for fall to begin? To have boat north for the summer will be worth the effort. It is not an ideal situation, but much cheaper I guess than purchasing 2 boats and costs associated.

#4 ·
If you've got the time to make the trip up & down it can be enjoyable but it is a long haul. I can't imagine it taking less than a month from Manitoulin to the north end of the Bahamas, and that's with perfect weather just when you need it, a crew who can constantly go almost all day light hours, and not using the ICW at all. To enjoy the trip would take a fair bit longer.

How far south are you planning to go? Abacos, all through the Bahamas, Virgin Islands, Grenada?

#5 ·
Will probably be Antigua/Monserrat area. Really all depends on Access, service, price and quality of assistance. First need to find the correct boat. I have an idea what I want, but want other more experienced people to give their 2 cents. I find the more I listen, the more I learn. You cannot beat experience, and I only have experience on Georgian Bay, with nothing really extended. Any advice or tips on great finds are appreciated.

#6 ·
I'm sorry but I just don't see how this is going to work without your wife's input, especially into what **she** finds comfortable. Maybe think about chartering a boat together for a couple of seasons and starting a notebook with likes/dislikes/needs/wants?

How on earth are strangers going to be able to determine her comfort level (and yours for that matter)?

I think if you're both going to find some enjoyment as a couple out of this lifestyle your best bet is to do your research together. If you're on Facebook there are a lot of good Facebook groups for women sailors and they offer a LOT of support for women who are just getting into the lifestyle and have misgivings, fears, whatever.

I know I wouldn't be happy doing this if my partner didn't share my enjoyment (since I am the one moving us from boat to boat) and we worked together to figure out our place in the sailing world.

And if I'm way off in reading into your post, that sorta proves my point about asking strangers to help you decide on which boat will make your wife happy.

#8 · (Edited)
these guys who try to figger out without the input of the spouse, that which that said spouse would like????
not cool.
guys SAY they wonder what she wants and likes , yet have been married to her for how many years???? ok.....makes me wonder if they even know each other at all.
MUST have spousal input. mebbe if she had more input allowed, you might even get her to sail with you.. unless you prefer to sail alone and have her fly to see you.. or not.....
isnt marriage something about SHARING which means all of ye, not merely facets you chose to share.......
yes there are women sailing and cruising groups all over fb. hell i run one or two,and i am in a few. we share what we think about this kind of spouse..... might not be pretty for you, males, because many wish they had more input acknowledged.
hell i even have a group for married folks who wanna sail without spouses, which seems to have taken off nicely ,membership-wise...
control doesnt win points, guys. SHARE with spouse. dont just introduce and make demands. who knows--mebbe your spouse will sail better than you do, if given the chance..
omy could this be an answer to the meaning of life???? lol..
get her input. make her input count. why is it she isnt going to sail with you? the REAL reason, please....
mebbe take sailing lessons together..... even if you think you know how to sail. there is always something to learn.
oh yes..and be PATIENT, grasshoppaahhh

i believe the itinerary you proffered is a tad much for one season... both ye willbe complaining about schedules, which are the deadliest thing to have on a boat...

#9 ·
I think you are making a mistake with your basic plan. I don't see this working out for several reasons. Others mention the problem that your wife is not onboard (sorry!) with the plan. What you want to do involves a major commitment in terms of money, time, and interest by the whole family and you you may have enough money but do not have the time or interest in place. Getting to Antigua area can be done in two ways.

1) offshore from the Chesapeake or similar departure point in early November. Going this way will get you into the eastern Caribbean, say St Martin, in less then two weeks, but this can be a very challenging offshore trip (or not) that requires a very sound vessel and a tough, resourceful crew. When we did it we had a week of broad-reaching in 25-30 knots with gusts and seas in excess of 15 feet. Not a place for a wife who wants her comforts and is not fully into the adventure.

2) Going the 'Thorny Path' from Florida. In this case you are going into strong winds on the nose for hundreds of miles. You can work frontal systems to your advantage but it can take many weeks to get east then. You would just get to the Eastern Caribbean and it would be time to head back - which is a much easier trip btw.

Seems to me that you only have two options. Have two boats, a few people do it. The southern boat probably should be based in Grenada because it is a safer place for hurricane season. There is also good sailing, you are not far from the Grenadines and provisioning and air access is good. If you want space for your family and three guests it sounds like you are talking about a catamaran. Something in the 38 to 40' range would be comfortable for you wife. The other option is to charter once or twice a year in the winter. Gets pricey but the nice thing is that you could go to different destinations. This year the Virgins, next year French Polynesia.

#11 ·
Yes, you obviously have plenty of time on your hands if you can spend three months a year minimum transiting your boat north to south, so just stay in the islands! Problem solved. Head down to the Grenada for the summertime (hurricane season), and then travel all winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.