Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006

Spontaneity is on a distinguished road
Cruising with Pets

What was the longest voyage you have made with your dog, what were some of the draw backs you encompased and how did you deal with them?

We have a couple of Miniture Schnauzers that we need to take on a two year + circumnavigation.

Your insight is much appreaciated.

G & O
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just be aware that pet quarantine laws are very restrictive in most countries. If you're circumnavigating, you might want to check the requirements and restrictions for the countries along your route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-24-2006

Spontaineity is on a distinguished road
Thanks sailingdog, how about health/well being issues the the pets go through?
Old 08-24-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Some dogs get seasick, others seem to adapt to life aboard just fine.

Some dogs learn to go "potty" on a piece of carpet, so don't have to take them ashore to walk them...others need to be on terra firma to go.

A lot of it really depends on your dogs, and how well they adapt.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-27-2006

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Without adressing the bureaucratic hassles you will, without doubt have to deal with. I'd like to talk about how the animals are likely to cope with the experience.
Sailingdog is right, some dogs will get seasick. The thing to remember is that just like people, they will adapt. I speak from experience here. I have had a lifelong battle with seasickness. It used to take me over a week to get my sealegs. (Thankfully, as I get older, it's getting easier). Your vet will help you with meds if it's really a problem, but they will, eventually, get used to it.
Sailingdog is also correct in that some dogs will take to using a piece of astro-turf on the foredeck without too much trouble or coaxing. Others will take a little more patience in their training. But they can and will learn.
IMHO, if you love these animals and they are a part of your family, all the obstacles you will surely encounter will be worth it for them as well as you. They love you and are more dependent on you than you love or depend on them.
Remember to provide them with a safe place to hide (a good sized carrier lashed in an unused berth works well) so that they feel secure when things get rough or when you have to leave them alone.
If you gave them a vote, I bet they would choose to become sailing dogs.
Old 08-28-2006

Spontaineity is on a distinguished road
Thanks Knothead, we are fortunate in that the dogs actually do better than I at sea sickness. Turns out I'm the ole' dog that needs to learn a new trick...
Old 08-28-2006
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spontaineity
Thanks Knothead, we are fortunate in that the dogs actually do better than I at sea sickness. Turns out I'm the ole' dog that needs to learn a new trick...
ROFL... Do you do any other tricks??

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-29-2006

chuck711 is on a distinguished road
We completed a 2 year trip thru the Bahamas,DR ,PR and into the Caribbean wintering in Trinidad. 2003 thru 2005. I started off with the intention of Clearing in out our 10 year old Springer Spaniel " Hershel". Tried twice in the Bahamas but the office was closed both times. Christmas and New Years. So I developed an attitude and never ever cleared Hershel in. Got caught twice in Bequa for having him ashore and received a stern warning. Then I heard that the customs were looking for us in St. Lucia but at that point we decided that not to take him ashore in St. Lucia again. However Hershel ( while we were ashore ) ate an entire 3 lb bag of dog treats. He began doing his business on the bow that day. We began doing 3 day voyages back to the USA after that knowing Hershel didn't have to go ashore!
All in all Hershel went ashore twice a day for 2 years in all the countries
of the eastern Caribbean with little trouble and never cleared in going thru customs in any country.
The English countries forbid upon dogs entering the country but looked
the other way if you didn't put it in their face. The French really didn't care. Hershel at times seemed seasick while underway he mostly slept.
I would bring heart worm meds and any other meds from the USA they are expensive in the islands.