Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006

islandman2 is on a distinguished road
Boston to Mississippi Gulf Coast

I need to bring a 30' catamaran south this fall from Boston to the northern Gulf coast, probably Pascagoula, MS or Mobile, Alabama. I know how long to allow for the part from Palm Beach, Fl to the northern Gulf coast, but I haven't done the east coast ICW before.

This trip will have to be done in a delivery mode, as I don't have the time for a long cruise. I need to get it out of northern waters by winter. Anyone have an idea of what time frame I should plan for, and is it feasible to leave the Boston area as late as the 2nd. week in October?

This cat only draws 2 feet. Fast under sail, but motoring average will be about 6 knots.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The only real problem I see with bringing a 30' cat down from Boston is you'll be doing it during the tail end of the hurricane season. If this year's season is anything like last year's, and it is supposed to be, you may have several storms that you'll have to dodge or wait out. Trying to move a boat on a schedule can be a bit dangerous...as the weather doesn't always cooperate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-11-2006

Thanks sailingdog,

That's what I'm trying to balance, leaving early enough to stay ahead of winter, yet late enough to minimize the chance of running into a hurricane. How late in the season do you think it's feasible to leave Boston? I've been told the end of October, may the 1st week or 2 in November.

My schedule is flexible as far as when I can begin. I don't mean that I won't have time to wait out storms either, just trying to get a reasonable estimate of what is doable in terms of time from some of you who have done the trip or parts of it before. For instance, I've done the trip from Palm Beach around the Keys and to Biloxi in less than 2 weeks on a monohull with a maximum sailing speed of 6 knots. Under sail the cat will be much faster, when the opportunity for sailing presents itself. If I can find the right crew I would do as many offshore hops as possible to make time when the weather permits.

This cat is demountable, so I could haul it home with a truck and trailer, but that probably wouldn't be as much fun.
Old 08-11-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The ICW is restrictive enough that you'll end up motoring through much of it, so staying offshore may end up being faster, less expensive (at least in terms of fuel) and far less boring.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of cat is it?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-11-2006

It's a Wharram Tiki 30 - a barebones, lightweight no-frills kind of cruiser. I own two smaller versions of the same design already.
Old 08-11-2006

foxglove is on a distinguished road
Islandman; This link to a Cruising World article by an experienced delivery skipper will be of interest to you. The author gives a discussion of where you can leave the ICW and sail in the ocean. This could shorten your trip.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/article...ID=419&catID=0

Max
Old 08-11-2006

Thanks for the link, Foxglove. That's a very informative article.
Old 08-11-2006
Telstar 28

Good article...and if the weather cooperates, I'd highly recommend going outside rather than via the ICW. The passage will probably be shorter and more pleasant in a good boat. Most people I know motor primarily during the day on the ICW, due to navigation and traffic hazards. Going offshore can eliminate the need to stop every night, as well as reduce the need to motor—making your passage faster than it would be otherwise.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-11-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
I would power it out and shoot down on the outside in one shot. Maybe stop at the mouth of the Chesapeake for 24 hours to refresh. Just watch your weather. If you hit the right weather window you will probably have northerlies most the way. The prevailing southerly wind starts to peter out on the East Coast mid-August.
Old 08-11-2006
Telstar 28

yup, my thoughts exactly surfesq. Especially watching the weather window. Also, you should plan for several holes to duck into in the case of bad weather. One possibly bad stretch that you will run into is the NJ coast. Not very hospitable in bad weather, as most of the harbors are difficult to enter in bad weather.

Telstar 28
New England