Marinas in Texas - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 10-08-2015 Thread Starter

Marinas in Texas

I'm on the West Coast and just got word that I'm moving to Oklahoma for a couple years. I have a 6ft draft Rafiki 37 and I'd like to put her in a marina as near Houston as possible. Really, any Galveston Bay / Trinity Bay Marina could work. Just somewhere I can drive down and spend a week here and there on her. Can anyone give me a recommendation? I'd like to keep the mast up and be able to sail when I can. Thanks for any suggestions y'all might have.
Attached Thumbnails
sunshine richardson bay.jpg  

1978 Rafiki 37
Berkeley, CA
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-08-2015
Banned

Re: Marinas in Texas

We had our boat at Watergate Yachting Center for a couple of years. I would highly recommend it. Very affordable if you ask me - and GREAT amenities. It's a really nice place, is well protected, and just up the street from West Marine and Home Depot.

Hard to beat.
olddog60 and AncientTech like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
kunkwriter (10-08-2015)
post #3 of 13 Old 10-08-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

I'll second smack's vote for Watergate. It was our home port for several years too.

If you want more isolation, but a great marina, check out Harbor Walk Marina. We just spent 8 or 9 months there. It is closer to the Gulf, and much quieter than the Kemah/Clear Lake area. It just depends on your preference.

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to RTB For This Useful Post:
kunkwriter (10-09-2015)
post #4 of 13 Old 10-09-2015
Wandering Aimlessly

Depends a bit on your sailing preferences. Clear Lake is a day away from open water, while it's just a bit farther by car to drive on down to Galveston, so you might want to keep that in mind. With 6' draft, I wouldn't go any further into Clear Lake than Watergate/Waterford Harbor though. The Boardwalk gets you into the Bay with about half the motoring.

I left before the hurricane hit, so don't know how much things have changed, but to me, Galveston Bay is basically just a big lake without any real destinations (lots of shallow water). Fine for daysails, but just the first and last leg of multi-day trips. If you're gonna be on Clear Lake though, Watergate would probably be your best choice.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

The Following User Says Thank You to PBzeer For This Useful Post:
kunkwriter (10-09-2015)
post #5 of 13 Old 10-14-2015

You can also find marinas on the nautical charts in the Navionics app by going into your app and using the little search icon in the upper left. You can search marinas and then see what the draft is in that area. Many of them also include information about the marinas such as the information you're looking for.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-01-2015
Nauticat 43

There are many marinas in the Kemah/Seabrook area leading to Galveston Bay. Waterford Harbor Marina has some of the nicest facilities of a marina in this area and is a great hurricane hole. But, the channel out of the marina needs dredging to get to published depths. Even under the best conditions, in summer at MHHT, we will plow through the marina entrance to the Clear Lake channel. Last winter, with northers blowing the water out, our 6'3" draft boat would sit in the slip with the keel in the muck. For the weekends we came down, we never could get out of our slip or into the Bay. This winter, we've moved to Seabrook Marina. Watergate Marina is the preferred channel adjacent to Waterford and I think it has a little more water. Both Seabrook and Kemah Boardwalk Marina have plenty of water in their marinas and respective channels. Portofino Marina has some slips for sale but getting into the marina is problematic for your draft, since there's a pipeline cutting across at an angle and the pipeline owner discourages the marina from dredging. If you're interested in the high end, Lakewood Yacht Club is adjacent to Seabrook and has good water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ded reckoner For This Useful Post:
kunkwriter (11-02-2015)
post #7 of 13 Old 11-02-2015 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies thus far. Watergate and Seabrook seem to be the recommendation for the area. Since I'll only get to the boat on weekends and holidays it might make sense to suck it up and drive down to Galveston area. Only an extra hour on the road from what I can tell.

Anyone have recommendations on marinas in that area?

Thanks,
Kunk

1978 Rafiki 37
Berkeley, CA
post #8 of 13 Old 11-02-2015

I had a cheap slip at the Blue Dolphin Marina in Clear Lake for a couple of years back in the 90's. Not sure what it's called now. It was convenient because it was the first marina upon entering Clear Lake proper, which made motoring in and out a breeze, as opposed to marinas further up the lake. I, personally, enjoyed being so close to the Kemah waterfront. And, the Turtle Club, a floating barge restaurant/bar with free waterfront slips, serves up one hell of a Bloody Mary.

Last edited by ericb760; 11-02-2015 at 12:17 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkwriter View Post
Thanks for all the replies thus far. Watergate and Seabrook seem to be the recommendation for the area. Since I'll only get to the boat on weekends and holidays it might make sense to suck it up and drive down to Galveston area. Only an extra hour on the road from what I can tell.

Thanks,
Kunk
If you can only spare a weekend or so a month, then the extra hour to Galveston is a waste of your time. Sure, Galveston is on open ocean, but you're not going to be sailing off to the Florida Keys for the weekend. Galveston Bay is plenty big enough for a weekend of fun on the water.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-02-2015
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkwriter View Post

Thanks,
Kunk
I agree with Eric above. Keeping your boat in the Kemah area is really the best call because of all the goods and services you have right around you along with the fact that the Bay there is fantastic for year-round weekend sailing.

We stayed overnight at the Galveston Yacht Basin on our way out last year. I wouldn't recommend it. Not when you have Kemah.
olddog60, ericb760 and kunkwriter like this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.