Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2001

pgraves1 is on a distinguished road
Taking 23'''' , Buzz Bay > FLA - Advice?

Hello all,
I''m thinking of taking my 23'' Pearson from Buzzards Bay to Maryland and possibly from there to Florida. I''d consider myself an intermediate sailor as I''ve been on boats of various sizes for the past 15+yrs. I''ve done overnight trips to Maine and day trips to Block and Nantucket etc. However, I''ve never sailed MY boat any further than the Vineyard and Newport. Do you think this is feasible? I''d be attempting to hop along the coast and anchor or moor at night.

The boat has new halyards, lifelines, VHF, Depth and Knot meter, pump out head, 6gal fresh, 8hp four stroke outboard (with charging system), propane grill, sterno stove (replaced the alcohol) storm jib, 25''+ of chain and 300''+ anchor rhode, 2 10lb Danforth. I can provision roughly an additional 12 - 20gal fresh and enough canned food to last one month. I also tow a 9'' inflatable plywood flr with 8hp 2 stroke.

Any advice on books to read? Experiences etc. are as always GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers,
-Peter
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2001

RichH will become famous soon enough

go to www.pearsoncurrent.com/
lots of info and FAQ on just this sort of question. .... (and probably to discuss directly with somone who has probably already done it).
:-)

Old 09-20-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

You can''t expect to sail by day and anchor at night because several legs (along the New Jersey coast for example) take longer than a 23 foot boat can make in daylight hours. It is not safe to tow a 9 foot dinghy offshore behind a 23 foot boat. You probably should add a GPS as a back up to your dead reckoning.

If you are a skilled sailor, have good sails and standing rigging (lifespan on standing rigging is roughly 20 years but should be inspected before any kind of major sailing). You don''t list fuel capacity but given the description above you will probably end up doing a lot of motoring.

Jeff
Old 09-20-2001

pgraves1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks RichH for the url. Good point Jeff_H. Towing the raft has been a concern in terms of making headway. I only have a 3gal gas tank for the 4stroke but would carry at LEAST an additional 5 to 10 gallons. The mast and shrouds are only 14 yrs old, hallyards and life lines are about 3. I forgot to mention this but have two gps systems on board, one is simply a back up to track my lat/long the other is a Mariner eTrex with WAAS, I used on an overnight trip to Maine and it tracked beautifully with a Raytheon chart plotter.

Is there anywhere safe to anchor along NJ shore? I don''t mind if it''s not a harbor I have all my nav lights working just fine. Radar reflector too. And if I can convince a friend to come along there is the possibility of one or two overnights to cover the long stretches.

Thanks for the input guys!
-Pete
Old 10-04-2001

clayton is on a distinguished road

Pete: Sell the boat and go with your folks.
Old 10-09-2001

clayton is on a distinguished road

Pete - better still - keep your boat and along with your brother give my house a new coat of stain.
Old 10-18-2001

syrenab is on a distinguished road

In your size boat, I would definitely recommend taking the Intracoastal. You can enter at Manasquan, NJ.
go along the IC to Delaware Bay, then the De;laware-Chesapeake Canal to the Chesapeake, along the Chesapeake to Norfolk, VA and then on down to Florida.
Old 12-20-2001

gaurre3 is on a distinguished road

i would also recommend getting an autopilot, if u don''t have one already. And, i''d bring more fuel that that.
Old 12-20-2001

EtherCat is on a distinguished road

I did a similar trip in 98/99 with a friend in a pair of 22'' MacGregors, from Baltimore to Key Largo and back... 6hp outboard with 12gal fuel... ICW all the way except for a few day hops outside, 15-25 miles each (and the 25 mile one was pushing it - didnt get back in til after dark)
Id get an additional type of anchor, as the dansforth wont hold well everywhere.

Can you find a way to easily bring the inflatable aboard? I had a soft-bottom inflatable, and it noticeably slowed me down - my friend in an adjoining 22'' had a hard dinghy on a 25'' polyprop painter with about 3'' of bungee laced into the middle to allow some bounce - seemed to work very well.

There''s a booklet called (Skipper Bobs?) which lists and rates anchorages all along the ICW, and includes location, depth, type of bottom, interesting things in the area, and comments by people who have anchored there... its about $15 and well worth it, although Im not sure where to get a copy, other than in random marinas along the coast (we were given one by a couple who had just gotten a new copy)

Our 12gal of fuel usually lasted 2-3 days (figure on motoring about 75% of the time on the ICW) and the only time that almost became a problem was in Georgia, where we found nothing in the way of waterside facilities until the Florida border (100 miles or so, and 3 1/2 days in thick fog)

Just be prepared for it to take a while (we did 48 miles on our best day, and averaged about 30 miles - of course if youre not sailing solo you''ll likely do better), and be prepared for some serious cabin fever after a month or so! But its a great trip, and well worth the experience, and one a well-equipped 23'' should easily be able to make...
Old 12-20-2001

EtherCat is on a distinguished road

PS Sensible Cruising (Don Casey, Lew Hackler) is far and away the best book Ive ever read on cruising in a small boat on a shoestring budget... very practical and *very* inspirational

There are numerous cruising guides to the ICW but I couldnt recommend one over another...

Having a bridge list is very handy - gives the mileage locations of all the bridges, along with their heights, opening schedules, and the VHF channel they monitor... theyre available from probably any boat shop or marina on the ICW for about $2